Depression treatment in Chiang Mai

glibb

Hi,

My husband is Thai and is suffering from fairly severe depression which is leading him to become suicidal, he talks about wanting to die and killing himself often. I am trying to find out about treatment options for Thais in Chiang Mai or surrounding areas (we live in Pai). Does anybody know of anything? I know Thai people don't tend to deal with mental health issues and it's not generally discussed but there must be some system? He's unlikely to agree to more alternative methods of treatment but all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have to be firmly positive all the time. Be strong yourself so you can lead him out of the darkness. Try talking to him about things that he likes, try connecting to him in a positive way (so as to distract him from the negative thoughts). Accompany him all the time, don't leave him alone.

Good luck:)

• Like 2

To the OP:

Are you absolutely sure that your husband is presently experiencing severe depression?

I often tell my wife, when things start getting on my nerves that I feel like doing myself in at times, but I`m never really serious. If so, has he told you what is making him depressed? Or could it just be something to do with your relationship that is making your husband feel down in the dumps? If that`s the case than marriage counselling would probably be more beneficial and appropriate. Does he not sleep well, or drink or smoke or both excessively? What other signs does he display that suggest he is severely depressed? Perhaps his behaviour is quite normal when he is around other people?

I would advise first speaking with your husband in-depth to get to the root of the problem prior to submitting him for psychiatric treatment, for a problem that maybe easily resolved with a little tea and sympathy, care and understanding.

I didn't read all posts, but will chime in...

I have seen this before, and SOMETIMES (never a 100% guarantee) they are crying out for help....suicide talk is common. And, with depression, they can forget they said those things hours later or the next day. I've heard seniors say these things a few times.....BUT I DO SOMETHING:

1. each time i tell their nurse and they tell me they will get a therapist

2. each time i talk about more exercise

3. each time i get them to try to think of stuff they can look forward to.......this one is hard.

4. they will try to pull you back in the black hole, but just smile and bring up good memories...

there is also a chance it's during the same time of the day, or if they missed a meal, forgot a nap, or exhausted....

you DON"T DON"T DON"T just "get over" being depressed, you need medical help. You never tell someone to "just get over cancer", and severe depression is pretty serious.

• Like 2

I would advise first speaking with your husband in-depth to get to the root of the problem prior to submitting him for psychiatric treatment, for a problem that maybe easily resolved with a little tea and sympathy, care and understanding.

Seriously? From the OP - "My husband is Thai and is suffering from fairly severe depression which is leading him to become suicidal, he talks about wanting to die and killing himself often"

That is nothing to sit around a cup of tea for and have a 'chat' and needs a proper evaluation from a professional.

Firstly you only quoted part of my post, which does not fairly give an accurate description of what I have commented and seriously, I know almost nothing about depression, I`m not a psychiatrist. All I know that there is two types of depression, either caused by illness of the mind that does require profession attention and depression caused by problems relating to situations, such as relationship or financial or grief.

I have asked the OP to try and specify what has actually caused her husband`s depression. I would first want to know the facts of the case in order to make any suggestions before advising someone that this requires profession help, that in my opinion should be a last resort if other methods have been tried and failed.

There is a lady doctor at Suan Prung, who also has her own clinic.

Speaks fluent English.

Dr Kittiwan

78/2 Samlan Road (the Suan Prung Gate end)

Tel 053-814772 - 081-9500674

Yes, Dr. Kittiwan is very well-liked and is at the top of her profession.

She treats the daughter of some close friends of my wife's family.

This girl - now in her thirties - has had severe mental problems since childhood; including suicide attempts.

Dr. Kittiwan has for the past several years supervised her treatment as a patient at Suan Prung and during periods when she is living at home.

In that time there have been no further suicide attempts, and this doctors professionalism and compassion have stabilized the girl's condition.

I'm sure that anyone who knows Dr. Kittiwan would second your recommendation.

I hope the OP takes the good advice about contacting the named doctor or Suan Proong Hospital as only professionals should be involved when anyone is talking about self-harm. Best wishes for the OP and her family.

And I also am hopeful that the OP will not lay out the background facts per the incredible request of the poster who also said he knows almost nothing about depression (which was rather obvious from his other comments).

• Like 1

I sympathise. yes you need professional help. Look after your own wellbeing as well. I find getting out in the open - take up bird watching or photography or anything that works - exercise etc, Also, a pet can be very helpful eg cat or dog. Good luck.

• Like 1

To the OP:

Are you absolutely sure that your husband is presently experiencing severe depression?

I often tell my wife, when things start getting on my nerves that I feel like doing myself in at times, but I`m never really serious. If so, has he told you what is making him depressed? Or could it just be something to do with your relationship that is making your husband feel down in the dumps? If that`s the case than marriage counselling would probably be more beneficial and appropriate. Does he not sleep well, or drink or smoke or both excessively? What other signs does he display that suggest he is severely depressed? Perhaps his behaviour is quite normal when he is around other people?

one of the common misconceptions about depression is that there is no external cause. Nothing to do with circumstances, relationships etc.

That's why it's an illness.

That's one of the most difficult things to deal with when suffering, as its known there is no rational reason to feel depressed, it kinda compounds also.

You have my sympathy. Living with a depressed/depressive person is just the hardest thing. Nothing you seem to do to help them brings them joy.

Just that empty, hopeless look. So hard for you.

It seems to me that many of the monks here are actually pretty good amateur psychologists, and they have a better understanding of thai people than we can ever have. We are currently dealing with a situation ( not as bad as yours ) right now, and feel it may be easier to get our thai man in front of a monk to talking openly than with a clinician. We would like it to become a regular twice a week kind of 'monk therapy' for want of a better term.

If your man already goes to the Wat that will be easier, but just an idea and you will know if it is worth a try. Also if you havent read books on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy yet, they can help you to 'manage' this situation.

Best of luck

• Like 1

This needs immediate professional atention. I fully conciur with ecommendations for Suanprung Hosp and Dr. Kittiwan; I would probably start with seeing Dr. Kittiwan privately as it will be quicker, he'll get more quality time with the doctor, and it will be easier for you to have some input. Specifically, it is very important that you tell the doctor what he has saidabout suicide, as patients may withhold this from doctors -- especially Thai patients, who feel "kriengjai" of the doctor.

She will likely start him on medication. Important to understand that, depending on the drug, it takes 2-4 weeks for the depression to lift, and also sometimes the first drug doesn't work and another must be tried. he needs to understand that as it is not unusual for patients to despair completely when they have finally seen a doctor, taken meds and still don't feel better. In fact, the first 1-3 weeks on antidepressent medication is a time of increased risk of suicide, I think mainly for that reason. Depressed people have lost their sense of perspective, each day seems like a year to them, so you may need to remind him of how long he has been taking the meds vs. the expected time in which improvement would occur.

Good luck

• Like 2

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Glibb,

First, I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this; seeing a beloved person in deep depression, hearing talk of suicide, is very stressful.

Second, I'd like to echo the recommendations of other people who've commented on this thread that the Suan Prung Hospital is an excellent resource, for both of you. I would recommend Dr. Kittisak at Suan Prung (male, English fair).

Along with the recognition, in the last twenty years, that there are myriad forms of depression, with different forms responding to very different therapeutic regimens and medications, there are now myriad, clinically proven, treatments for various types of depression using a wide range of medications that may affect either, or both, the serotonin, and dopamine, systems.

A good clinician, like those you will find at Suan Prung, can help you understand his depression, and, if, hopefully, he is willing to get treated (voluntary choice to seek treatment is very important step), help him get started in therapy. A good clinician will help you check and make sure there is no direct physical cause of, or contributing factor to, the depression (endocrine problem, sleep disturbance, side-effects of medication, etc.).

I, also, see nothing to fear (these days) from ECT (electro-convulsive therapy); in certain cases of depression ("endogenous" is the clinical term) it is often, literally, a life-saver, and the treatments have nothing in common with the "bugbear" stereotype presented in media in the past. I have not had ECT myself, but have known friends who have (with great results), and, I used to be psychiatric social worker, and have seen its effects on patients.

in case it may be helpful to you, I'd like to share with you some common criteria used for assessing the risk of suicide:

0. history of previous suicide attempts, or episodes of self-harm

1. frequency of suicidal ideation; degree to which suicidal ideation is manifested across different social contexts

2. extent to which possible scenarios for suicide are mentioned

3. extent to which any one particular possible scenario for suicide is mentioned

4. mention of specific methods of suicide

5. mention of plans for, or knowledge of, obtaining means for suicide (gun, poison, rope, etc.).

6. actual possession of means for suicide

7. direct statements of intent to commit suicide

8. current patterns of drug-use and/or abuse, particularly involving psychotropic medications.

9. extent of social isolation as subjectively experienced by the person who is suicidal

These factors are by no means some kind of comprehensive "scientific" diagnostic tool; they represent general guidelines, and a skilled clinician can help you interpret the unique reality of the person.

And, it's that unique reality of the person that is all-important here: what the person experiences, what the person perceives, and what interpretation of experience and perception the person creates in thought, memory, fantasy, and self-talk.

best wishes to you and your family.

~o:37;

I have to agree with you

I, also, see nothing to fear (these days) from ECT (electro-convulsive therapy); in certain cases of depression ("endogenous" is the clinical term) it is often, literally, a life-saver, and the treatments have nothing in common with the "bugbear" stereotype presented in media in the past.

Back home about ten years ago I had a friend who would go in for it about once a year. He said it was an immense help to him. He has since died but I am sure they have continued to improve on it. To many people think of it as some thing out of Frankenstein. Those days are long gone.

As described, this is a serious clinical depression with real risk of suicide. Monks and an understanding listener are nto sufficient. he urgently needs professional treatment.

If OP finds 800 baht consultation fee too high, as a Thai he can likely receive free treatment at Suanprong.

Moved to the health forum.

To the OP:

one of the common misconceptions about depression is that there is no external cause. Nothing to do with circumstances, relationships etc.

That's one of the most difficult things to deal with when suffering, as its known there is no rational reason to feel depressed, it kinda compounds also.

Not always. I got mine as a result of Pretazone. I can manage with out medication it is not really a driving force. It is just a lot less fire to get out and do some thing. I want to do more but just can't get up the energy Not even close to what I was before Pretazone. Not sure on the spelling. It is for Poly Myology. This has been going on for about 18 years.

Edited by northernjohn

Not always. I got mine as a result of Pretazone. I can manage with out medication it is not really a driving force. It is just a lot less fire to get out and do some thing. I want to do more but just can't get up the energy Not even close to what I was before Pretazone. Not sure on the spelling. It is for Poly Myology. This has been going on for about 18 years.

I think you mean prednisone? Which can indeed cause not only depression but sometimes outright psychosis. Nothing to suggest the OP's husbdand is on this, though.

• Like 1

dear,

i am an qualified therapist in Holland. Stresscounselling, EMDR therapy and other mental diseases are my expertise.

I dont have the all the information, but it seems to me, and it can give great results, that he needs an expert, therapist in EMDR. You can find enough info on internet. And i think there will be 1 in your area who can do this simple but very effective therapy.

i wish you strength and hope he will feel better soon.