thailand - malaysia - singapore with own car with thai-plates

user643543

hello - any news about driving myself with our thai-car with international plates and purple passport for car etc. etc.

from thailand through malaysia to singapore and back?

thanks for any advise/infos etc.

for insurance

special permits or anything else?

Go to your local motor vehicle branch, and have your plates translated to English lettering... on paper, saves time and hassle at the Malaysian border...

There they will give you stickers of translated plate letters (and numbers... same same! ) and the province you are from... They will also sell you insurance for Malaysia... good if I remember for three months...

Not sure of the process of getting into Singapore, but the translated plates ... I think should be good... wink.png

thanks "samuijimmy" - but as i wrote in my posting (and read also my other postings in TV ;-) ) - i have internationale (english) plates and purple passport - also all in english!!! clap2.gif

also the stickers "T" i have long time on our car! we've travelled already several times through laos and cambodia!

waiting to cross the border with our car also to vietnam - maybe next year...? any news on this?

for insurance malaysia...?! i think we can buy at the local border crossing to malaysia?

Edited by edh69

the book is worthless for Malaysia its ONLY needed for Laos

Cambodia does not care about anything

U need go and get a english translation paper from the dept for cars ( cost 50 baht here in Phuket) 'valid for one year

the English plates dont count ( i have them as well an never used them) waste of money LOL

u need english translations stickers of ur thai plates on front and rear, can be done at borders 100 baht each

your tints can NOT be more thna 40% and they check with a meter at Sadao ( one time had to peel my film off)

If u go via Satun / Kota Bharu they don't care

Must buy insurance for min 1 month ( average 800 ( my honda civic) -1,000 baht) at the border ( they also issue u a paper( circular disk) that u will need show if ur stopped in Malaysia

Into Singpaore, no idea but u could not drive in central as u would not have the machine on ur dash that they use to enter the downtown zone

Been in and out of Laos, Malaysia and Cambodia many times over the past 5 years.,

Edited by phuketrichard

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know about Thai cars, but for a Malaysia registered vehicle you will need to have the vehicle log card to purchase the "AutoPass" card. That card is needed to top up with cash and raise the barrier once your passport is stamped. If you have insufficient funds or faulty card, you will be asked to go in the office and pay the fees.

In Malaysia, you will need the "Touch & Go" card for the highway. If you calculate the cost and time, it is really not worth the trouble.

Thinking of doing this trip myself..........Getting into Malaysia is very easy. I haven't tried getting into Singapore yet......so let us know how you get on.......

If you need to you can get the number plates stuck on at the border. Don't get them from the DoLT Thailand.

It isn't that far to Singapore about 900 km

Diesel was about 30% cheaper than in Thailand last year........

Thinking of doing this trip myself..........Getting into Malaysia is very easy. I haven't tried getting into Singapore yet......so let us know how you get on.......

If you need to you can get the number plates stuck on at the border. Don't get them from the DoLT Thailand.

Malaysia, not for Singapore. Singapore diesel current priced at SGD1.4/liter. So remember to fully fill up before entering SG.

Malaysia, not for Singapore. Singapore diesel current priced at SGD1.4/liter. So remember to fully fill up before entering SG.

How much Mileage are you going to clock up in Singapore????

Edited by cumgranosalum

How much Mileage are you going to clock up in Singapore????

no no.... I'm a Singaporean not the OP. Btw, depends on how many days you are here. 50km can let you travel from 1 corner to the other. So if you plan your trip properly, a full tank from MY will last you 5 days visit in SG.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks "samuijimmy" - but as i wrote in my posting (and read also my other postings in TV ;-) ) - i have internationale (english) plates and purple passport - also all in english!!! clap2.gif

also the stickers "T" i have long time on our car! we've travelled already several times through laos and cambodia!

waiting to cross the border with our car also to vietnam - maybe next year...? any news on this?

for insurance malaysia...?! i think we can buy at the local border crossing to malaysia?

Forget to try crossing the border to enter Vietnam ;

Only people who have a vietnamese license car drive a car in Vietnam .

The international license is not recognize there .