Has anyone been to Phi Phi recently?

Shurup

PP is used to be my favorite Island years ago until it got too busy for my liking.

Since there are less tourists arrival (due to the global economic situation) and the high season is coming to an end, I was hoping the island would be less busy than in the recent years, planning a trip there sometime in May.

So has anyone been there recently? Is it still as busy as before?

The term paradise lost gets thrown around a bit but it's definitely the case with Phi Phi.

It's overloaded with tour package tourists.

I went out for a day trip for lunch and for a look around. Never again. It's lost its charm entirely. It only gets people there through reputation.

• Like 1

Man, that's very sad and sounds like it's still getting worse.

Package tourists, eh? Must be full of Chinese then?

I will try to bring it up again after the Songkhran finished, if it's still full, I'll look elsewhere, maybe will make another trip to Lipe then?

How would you compare it to say 1-2 years back? Is it busier now than before?

I also remember never having to book a hotel in advance but one of the recent times (a few years ago I think) I got there and almost ended up sleeping on the street! Wife talked to some locals and was able to find a room behind one of the small restaurants. shock1.gif That was the last time I've been there.

How would you compare it to say 1-2 years back? Is it busier now than before?

I also remember never having to book a hotel in advance but one of the recent times (a few years ago I think) I got there and almost ended up sleeping on the street! Wife talked to some locals and was able to find a room behind one of the small restaurants. shock1.gif That was the last time I've been there.

more day trips, but not that much change staying overnight. I always book accommodation, Andaman legacy. Close enough to walk but far away enough for some relax time.
  • Like 1

Man, that's very sad and sounds like it's still getting worse.

Package tourists, eh? Must be full of Chinese then?

I will try to bring it up again after the Songkhran finished, if it's still full, I'll look elsewhere, maybe will make another trip to Lipe then?

I was told the Chinese have discovered Lipe already smile.png .

Shurup,

I was there 1 year ago with my brother and his wife. I am quite young and can handle a lot of people, parties everything but phi phi is one of the few places in Thailand I will never go again.

Where as the nature was stunning and one of the better in Thailand imo, the people (locals) were blatantly rude, the food was bad, lots of lost backpackers running around on bare feet and trash everywhere together the smells it comes with.

unless you plan to stay at a nice resort and do lots of diving it would be ok I guess. But my experience wasn't too good.

Makes me remember when we went to Egypt some years ago, the people were not the most friendly so to say which made us out on the dive boat every day of the 3 weeks. 1 trip for the pyramids and the rest of the time under water where no one can try and sell you anything :)

It was a sh#thole 12 years ago, i am sure it will be considerably worse now. Most disappointing place i ever went to here. Missus hated it too. Never seen such disorganised rubbish collection. And that was a day.night trip out from Ao Nang, which in those days truly was paradise on earth.

Does this photo answer your question? Been many reports of Chinese tourists jamed up on Maya Beach which you can recognise in the photo. Thai authorites are planning on limiting the number of tour groups per day to cut down on the overcrowding. There is basically no place to sit on the beach.

post-199383-0-22775500-1428382272_thumb.

• Like 1

I was just in Phuket about 2 weeks ago.. busy as <deleted>. The traffic really did my head in since we were driving. We ended up staying on Koh Phi Phi at the PP Charlie hotel (pool side room) and enjoyed our stay. After our stay on Phi Phi we drove to Pak Bara pier further down south and headed over to Koh Lipe... wow absolutely amazing. We initially had a bungalow at Twapi resort which was Ok but then moved to the AkiraLipe which was fantastic with pool access rooms. We felt that Koh Lipe was another planet.. mostly Thais on holiday with everyone being polite and not much noticeable mafia's (except the speedboats). We thought the prices were much better in Koh Lipe and the island was amazing.. If I were to do it again I would probably do Koh Lipe, then take a ferry to Koh Lanta and spend a few nights then take another ferry over to Koh Lipe.

PM me if you need any details.

Kurt

That photo in post #12 is shocking! No no no no no no no no no no......... I don't want to be there even if it was a free ride and stay.

Another trip to Lipe it is, or will see if I can discover some new place.

My 1st trip there was in June 2009, it was pretty empty and I had no complains regarding trash or anything, so I can't agree on it always being far too busy.

Since, each of my following trips there I was less and less satisfying, each time I returned there were more bars, larger crowd, more junk, etc.

Was hoping due to the crisis and low season it would be better, but looking at the picture above, I can't see how it could get better to the point that I would like it.

Some pictures I took back in 2009.

post-111234-0-01224900-1428388970_thumb.

post-111234-0-09178000-1428388971_thumb.

post-111234-0-24479800-1428388972_thumb.

post-111234-0-24047300-1428388973_thumb.

• Like 1

Amazing difference but no, it didn't really answer what I wanted to know. I know its getting developed all the time, I was more interested in the amount of people that are on the island, I don't like crowded places very much.

Then you probably won't like Lipe either - totally overdeveloped. Check out the southern Lanta beaches or Ko Muk. Closer to Phuket Ko Yao still has some fairly empty beaches.

I've been to Lipe a few times and quite like it the second time as it was a low season (the 1st time was over the new year eve and it was bad... until Jan 1st came).

You got it wrong, I don't mind it the place is getting developed but I do mind large crowds.

Amazing difference but no, it didn't really answer what I wanted to know. I know its getting developed all the time, I was more interested in the amount of people that are on the island, I don't like crowded places very much.

Then you probably won't like Lipe either - totally overdeveloped. Check out the southern Lanta beaches or Ko Muk. Closer to Phuket Ko Yao still has some fairly empty beaches.
Ko Yao is still unspoiled. If you are looking for total Isolation go to Cape Cao Mai west of Trang on the Andaman coast. Two km beach; not a soul. Some offshore islands have nice resorts.
  • Like 1

I was just over on Phi Phi 2 weeks ago.
I was quite surprised at how crowded it was.
I wouldn't say it was mostly Chinese at all, although there were some.
Many young, European or caucasion looking backpackers.

Too many.
We went rock climbing.
I've been taking my son there quite a few years and now there are 3 rock climbing shops I believe.

The following week, we went over to Railay. Same thing.
Too many people.
8 rock climbing shops there. There used to be 2. (10 years ago)

All these people saying numbers are down in Thailand.
Don't believe it.
We go almost every year to Phi Phi and Railay and the numbers are not down. (not the prices either)
Ferry was full too.

You want somewhere not crowded?
Go to Thai Muang.
We just got back today from a lovely camping trip there. (there are bungalows too)
No one else around. Just us and the 20 or so workers who keep the place spotless.
Nice and quiet.
Restaurant at the park was even open. Although we usually pick one of the many restaurants halfway between town and the park.