Quantine

nickmanchester2

sorry mods, I know this is going to be moved to the thai language area, but I just want a quick answer... what does Quantine mean? I know its not a nice word - I speak thai a little bit after 5 years and hear this word now and again when i get into a jokey convo with thais (normally in bars)

กวนตีน (Quantine or Kuan Teen). Phrase meaning literally to stir something up with your foot and making a mess. It’s used to curse somebody who is winding you up (at best) and can be used in banter among close friends or family, or with real vitriol for somebody who is really pissing you off. My wife also uses it as a general curse word; for example if she is talking about a person she really dislikes or it is often directed against a particularly unlikable celeb or politician who pops up on TV. As with the ‘Tarleh’ ตอแหล word, which is another phrase which is common currency in bars, it goes without saying – use with caution!

From thai-language.com: "to ask for a kick in the pants; bring trouble upon one’s self; to "mess with" someone; you're yanking my chain; you're sure stirring things up; you're cruising for a bruising; you're being cheeky".

Search in youtube for กวนตีน and you will find endless amounts of these "funny mishap videos"/"hidden cams", people spilling coffee over another person and so on.

A Thai/German dictionary brings up something like "to provoke", "to look for trouble".

Quite in line with thai-language.com.

Edited by KhunBENQ