Two foreign tourists found dead in heat wave-hit Phuket

Thaivisa News

Phuket:- Two foreign tourists were found dead in Phuket, which is being hit by heat wave, late Monday night and Tuesday, police said.

Both apparently suffered from heart failure – one in a bathtub of a hotel room and the other on a bed in an air-conditioned condominium room. Both incidents happened in Patong.

Pol Lt Thawatchai Simai, an interrogator of Krathu police station, said Arif Abdul Khalid Ukaye, 33, was found dead in the bathtub of his room in a Patong hotel at 11:45 pm. He carried a British passport.

Thawatchai and rescuers checked the room and did not find any sign of foul play.

He was found drowned in the bathtub and his body had no sign of injuries. The body was sent to the Patong Hospital for an autopsy.

Ukaye checked in on March 23 and was scheduled to check out on Monday. Hotel staffs waited for him to check out until 11 pm but he did not leave the room. They decided to enter the room and found the body. A doctor said he apparently died a few hours earlier.

In the second case, Thawatchai was alerted at noon Tuesday that another foreign tourist was found dead in a condominium room in Patong.

Thawatchai and other officials rushed to check the room and found the body of Steiner-Speck Monika Helena, 60, a Swiss, on the bed.

She was believed to have died at least six hours earlier. The body was sent to the Patong Hospital for an autopsy.

Helena has been staying at the condominium for a while. She did not answer the knock by a maid so the maid opened the door with a spare key and found the body.

Phuket is being hit by heat wave with 36 Celsius degree of temperature in the morning and about 40 degrees during the day. Police said heat stroke might be a cause of the deaths.

In an air-conditioned condominium room, she was found dead caused by heat stroke......................

The British guy found dead in the bathtub, again of heat stroke..

I wish our brilliant police close their mouths and wait for the autopsies before they give us this so professional assumptions..

Edited by Costas2008

In an air-conditioned condominium room, she was found dead caused by heat stroke......................

I wish our brilliant police close their mouths and wait for the autopsies before they give us this so professional assumptions..

They make these announcements to the pathologist can "confirm" their diagnosis at the scene. You would not want the RTP to "lose face" now would you?

Sort of like that well conducted investigation into the deaths of the Belanger sisters of Quebec who were found dead and determined to have been poisoned with a pesticide......

I think they need the ThaiVisa investigation Bureau on the case.

I honesty believe some could do a better job.

Quote:

"Phuket is being hit by heat wave with 36 Celsius degree of temperature in the morning and about 40 degrees during the day. Police said heat stroke might be a cause of the deaths."

Many of us wish you would close your so frequently open mouth.

Perhaps the lady was suffering from heatstroke as a result of being exposed to the heat before returning to her condo and was trying to recover in her air-conditioned room?

Why should the police, who may have received opinions from medical teams called to the incidents, not express a possibly informed opinion? if the police didn't say anything you'd be the first (obviously) to be all over them for not giving information about the circumstances of the deaths.

• 1 year later...

I'd take 5 Western educated TV members over 100 local police or detectives any day of the week.

And why not, the current experts (BIB) are bloody useless, shown to be proven everyday.