Bangkok vs Pattaya Scams

flyingsaucersarereal

Hi there,

I am a seasoned Thailand expat.

I find that Bangkok is a lot worse than Pattaya when it comes to scams. Of course both cities have there fair share but I find Bangkok to be far worse.

Much more seedy in the nightlife areas and the taxi's are far worse.

I think it's funny that Pattaya has a bad reputation for being a seedy place Bangkok has it beat by a long shot.

Certainly the majority of the Expat Boiler Room Scam Artists are operating in BKK, but they are all over. You got Drew Noyes in Pattaya, one of the biggest liars-con artists, sex-offenders in the Kingdom.

Mr. Bullard just kicked the bucket in Chiang Mai, but there are plenty more of those folks in the LOS, as they stick together like sh-- on a blanket, as is their wont.

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai - plenty of expat con artists all over - and don't forget the time share scammers with those "quality" British accents, They're all the same same sh--, just a different pile..

Ever been to one of those 90 minute time share scams? I am ashamed to say I have attended 2, one for a favor for a Thai friend, who got 5,000 Baht as the tout.

I was duly subjected to a 50 something year old <deleted> - espousing the merits of screwing nubile Thai teenagers for a full ten awful minutes, as he waxed not eloquent - Before he went into his bovine diatribe on the time share scam. Lucky I didn't have a handy gun, but guns kill people..giggle.gif

An interesting Opening Post....

I guess the answer depends on your mileage and where you hang out...

I expect some form of scam attempt in tourist areas anywhere..

I've been protected by common sense as have many before me, there's nothing wrong with letting your guard down and enjoying yourself with people you trust...

Trust involves common sense....

....people who get scammed in Bangkok will get scammed in Pattaya or else where.....

I don't know, I've never been scammed in either place. Why? What happened to you in Bangkok?

Can't get a taxi to run on the meter. The guy was like 200 baht I was like no sorry. I eventually paid a taxi 150 to take me back to the hotel they never use the meter.

Right... not sure I'd count that as a scam, more a taxi driver who just at it. But okay, let's say it's a scam... that's your evidence of why Bangkok is 'a lot worse' than Pattaya and why it has Pattaya beat 'by a long shot'.

I mean... we're talking maybe 70 or 80 baht difference... if that's the level of horrific scams going on, then it's not too bad. I was expecting some terrible tale of diamond fraud or kidney stealing.

I don't know, I've never been scammed in either place. Why? What happened to you in Bangkok?

Yes, some people must look like easy targets. About 7 years spending 3 or 4 months a year here and going on 9 more years full-time in Pattaya and I've never experienced any scam.

Sure if you walk along Beach Rd or along Silom there's going to be some guys offering various "goods or services" of clearly dubious quality or legality, but that's true in certain areas of any major city in the world. Smile and say "no thank you." Hardly what I would call a scam unless you're mentally deficient or been hitting the booze.

I almost never have need of taxis in Pattaya aside from the occasional motorcy taxi and charges have always been reasonable. In Bangkok I have never been scammed by a taxi or tuktuk driver. A few times they've asked too much, but when I made a counter-offer it's been accepted. No need to get angry or quote some absurd amount you want to pay.

If you go around looking like a sheep, whether in Bangkok, London or New York, you'll attract the local sheep shearers and if you go all red and start sputtering you'll supply some locals with entertainment, but seriously where are all the scams?

man_with_kick_me_sign_hg_clr.gif

Edited by Suradit69

I lived in BKK for 5 years and never got scammed. Though, I didn't frequent places like Khao San Road and would seldom be out in Sukhumvit past 10pm. I enjoyed the tourist areas better during the daytime, less weirdos, lol.

I would, however, be out in non-tourst areas to all hours. Never a problem.

I think if you hang around Khao San, or go out in Sukhumvit and Silom til the early hours often then you will run into more problems.

I can't speak for Pattaya, but if the news is anything to go by, it seems much worse. Your risk of being attacked, drugged, robbed, and killed seem significantly higher. I understand none of these are scams, but then again neither is a taxi driver refusing to switch on his meter.

What is a seasoned expat? Thanks for that one - it gave me a bit of a chuckle.

There are different types of scams in both places, all focused on naive foreigners in tourist areas... Stay out of the tourist areas and avoid the scams, simple... There is more opportunity in Bangkok due to the number of tourists and tourist destinations... Scams like the tuk tuk scam, jewelry store scam, card game scam, Royal Palace closed scam, river boat scam, etc... Fewer tourist destinations in Patters limits the opportunity for the con guys... More out-and-out crime in Pattaya IME, but more scams in Bangkok...

I sometimes wonder about those folks that say they have been in Thailand for years and have never, ever been the target of a scam... Hell, I was hit with all the scams I listed above in my first week in Thailand so many years ago... Perhaps it's due to expats not frequenting tourist locales, thus not being targeted...

On my first visit to Bangkok I hired a tuk tuk at what I thought at the time was a reasonable price.

He said that he would be paid a commission if he took me to a tailor made shirt shop near Pratunam, even if I didn't buy anything.

Having some time to kill, I thought "Why not?" and agreed.

At the shop I bought three shirts, and the girl who served me has been my wife for the last 15 years!

Most expensive shirts I ever bought!

• 4 weeks later...

But why his office is still open ?

Certainly the majority of the Expat Boiler Room Scam Artists are operating in BKK, but they are all over. You got Drew Noyes in Pattaya, one of the biggest liars-con artists, sex-offenders in the Kingdom.

Mr. Bullard just kicked the bucket in Chiang Mai, but there are plenty more of those folks in the LOS, as they stick together like sh-- on a blanket, as is their wont.

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai - plenty of expat con artists all over - and don't forget the time share scammers with those "quality" British accents, They're all the same same sh--, just a different pile..

Ever been to one of those 90 minute time share scams? I am ashamed to say I have attended 2, one for a favor for a Thai friend, who got 5,000 Baht as the tout.

I was duly subjected to a 50 something year old <deleted> - espousing the merits of screwing nubile Thai teenagers for a full ten awful minutes, as he waxed not eloquent - Before he went into his bovine diatribe on the time share scam. Lucky I didn't have a handy gun, but guns kill people..giggle.gif

Can't get a taxi to run on the meter. The guy was like 200 baht I was like no sorry. I eventually paid a taxi 150 to take me back to the hotel they never use the meter.

I just get in the cab and say is 1000 Baht OK?

Never had a problem.

You're just approaching it all wrong.