Who makes the most reliable motorcycle?

papa al

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

Hard finding a mech to fix your beemer outside BKK?

Never had a problem with mine but the BMW motorbike agent here in Chiang Mai has a less than enviable reputation. I am surprised BMW have not taken their motorbike situation in tbis country more seriously!

Never had a problem with mine but the BMW motorbike agent here in Chiang Mai has a less than enviable reputation. I am surprised BMW have not taken their motorbike situation in tbis country more seriously!

Here in Phuket BMW proper closed down the dealer (Barcelona) and now there is a dedicated BMW Motorrad dealer called Siam Motorrad. Let's see how they will fair in the future. But regardless of dealers they seem to have quality problems the past years. Quite a shame.

Really interesting how these premium brands have the lowest quality ratings. Yamaha is doing lots of things very right since past year, I just hope they start making bikes locally here.

Yamaha is doing lots of things very right since past year, I just hope they start making bikes locally here.

I just hope the big four introduce standardized testing for every mechanic in every one of their shops here.

Able to pass the most basic of mechanical competence tests.

Able to follow instructions without getting angry.

IQ above 40.

• Like 1

Here in Phuket BMW proper closed down the dealer (Barcelona) and now there is a dedicated BMW Motorrad dealer called Siam Motorrad. Let's see how they will fair in the future. But regardless of dealers they seem to have quality problems the past years. Quite a shame.

Really interesting how these premium brands have the lowest quality ratings. Yamaha is doing lots of things very right since past year, I just hope they start making bikes locally here.

Mine is a 10 year old RT. It has never given a problem although it has never been left at Barcelona. A friends bike was and it has never been right since. I wonder if that is the source of the unreliability. Interesting that BMW has taken that action although I think they need to do this for the whole country. To get a flavour of the local agent read GT rider, you would never take your bike back to their agent again!

Those in the know , and those in the the industry , have reconised Yamaha has consistently had the best build quality , and has had for 6 or 7 years. Like Hondas from years ago , the older BMW,s are fine bikes , but the newer ones just seem to often lack that quality of old that gained them that enviable reputation . Im reluctant to ask ( been away for a few months ) but what happened to ll2 ?.

The question was for quality , not quantity .

The answer to both questions in Thailand is "Honda". And the main reason for the answer to the second question is the answer to the first question. QED.

In a recent Consumer Reports survey of 12,300 US motorcycle owners, the following ranking for "owner satisfaction" was found:

"Impacting overall satisfaction and reflecting reliability, we saw cost of maintenance and repair be a satisfaction issue with BMW, Can-Am, Ducati, and Harley.

Owner satisfaction
Brand Would definitely buy again
Victory 80%
Harley-Davidson 72
Honda 70
BMW 68
Can-Am 67
Ducati 66
Yamaha 65
Triumph 63
Kawasaki 59
Suzuki 58 "

I doubt that Harley would get as high marks from owners here in Thailand, but they are a loyal (and irrational) lot to be sure, and even with a high owner satisfaction rating, Harley, BMW and Ducati have noted maintenance and high cost of repair problems. And I don't think that Victory is available in Thailand, so that would put Honda at the top of the ranking if it was done here in Thailand, where IMO it belongs without question (both for reliability and overall satisfaction). Interestingly, Suzuki is dead last, which IMO is where it belongs.

Edited by Thailaw

honda ... end of thread:mellow:

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Honda always makes a great product.

I would not give Honda cars anywhere near as high a relative ranking against other manufacturers as I give their motorcycles. At best, Honda comes in third in the automobile arena. That said, I do like the new Accord.

Those in the know , and those in the the industry , have reconised Yamaha has consistently had the best build quality , and has had for 6 or 7 years. Like Hondas from years ago , the older BMW,s are fine bikes , but the newer ones just seem to often lack that quality of old that gained them that enviable reputation . Im reluctant to ask ( been away for a few months ) but what happened to ll2 ?.

He's still alive and well but not posting here any more. Can't say why (DELETED)

Edited by seedy
discuss moderation

He's still alive and well but not posting here any more. Can't say why (DELETED)

the plot thickens

the plot thickens

55 it makes my post seem so much more sinister and important now! biggrin.png

Honda. Nuff Said!

Sorry to rain on your parade but according to the article the OP mentioned its Yamaha that makes the most reliable bikes followed by Suzuki and Honda comes in third. It is based on a survey of more then 11.000 people.

The 4 japanese manufacturers are so close that in my opinion they are a class apart. It is just that for some reason Honda owners (especially on this forum) always like to brag about their bikes being the best, most reliable , having the lowest depreciation and whatever else they can come up with .

Though they are the easiest to get serviced, that is for sure.

Reliablity by brand Brand Percent failed by the fourth year of ownership

Yamaha/Star 11%

Suzuki 12

Honda 12

Kawasaki 15

Victory 17

Harley-Davidson 26

Triumph 29

Ducati 33

BMW 40

Can-Am 42

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

The irony is that the world's largest producer of motorbikes is absent on the list.facepalm.gif

Some Chinese company. wai2.gif

Not that I'm suggesting it would rank high in reliability.

Dunno.

But sales numbers are an even more important a way of 'voting,' right?

thumbsup.gif

Have a safe Songkran.coffee1.gif

The question was for quality , not quantity .

The answer to both questions in Thailand is "Honda". And the main reason for the answer to the second question is the answer to the first question. QED.

In a recent Consumer Reports survey of 12,300 US motorcycle owners, the following ranking for "owner satisfaction" was found:

"Impacting overall satisfaction and reflecting reliability, we saw cost of maintenance and repair be a satisfaction issue with BMW, Can-Am, Ducati, and Harley.

Owner satisfaction
Brand Would definitely buy again
Victory 80%
Harley-Davidson 72
Honda 70
BMW 68
Can-Am 67
Ducati 66
Yamaha 65
Triumph 63
Kawasaki 59
Suzuki 58 "

I doubt that Harley would get as high marks from owners here in Thailand, but they are a loyal (and irrational) lot to be sure, and even with a high owner satisfaction rating, Harley, BMW and Ducati have noted maintenance and high cost of repair problems. And I don't think that Victory is available in Thailand, so that would put Honda at the top of the ranking if it was done here in Thailand, where IMO it belongs without question (both for reliability and overall satisfaction). Interestingly, Suzuki is dead last, which IMO is where it belongs.

I think Harley owners go for the buzz they get........."buzz" as in vibration and their GF's (if they have one) don't need a spin dryer.

There are quite a few round the world bikers who ride Suzuki's, so can't be that bad.

The worst (Phantom) and best (Wave) bikes I have ever owned (reliability wise) have both been Hondas, both made in Thailand.

Having owned and ridden everything from Harleys to various manufacturers dirt bikes and crotch rockets over the last 50 years, my own tainted opinion has to go with Honda as the most reliable... YMMV...

The question should have been which is the worst bike, which IMO unequivocally goes the Harley...

The irony is that the world's largest producer of motorbikes is absent on the list.facepalm.gif

Some Chinese company. wai2.gif

Not that I'm suggesting it would rank high in reliability.

Dunno.

But sales numbers are an even more important a way of 'voting,' right?

thumbsup.gif

Have a safe Songkran.coffee1.gif

wrong they could get high sales based soley on price.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app