Bangkok has highest rate of domestic violence

Thaivisa News

Bangkok has highest rate of domestic violence

dm.jpg

Bangkok: – Thailand’s capital is the hotbed for domestic violence and sees a highest number of suicides in comparison to the rest of the country.

To mark Family’s Day on April 14, three advocacy groups have launched an awareness campaign by releasing a report on domestic violence.

In cooperation with Thai Health Foundation and Stop Drink Network, the report has been compiled by Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation.

Based on 368 news reports on domestic violence cases in 2014, the highest incidents were about murder in the family (62.5 per cent), followed by family-related suicide (20.38 per cent), physical assault (12.23 per cent) and sexual violation of family members (3.8 per cent).

About one in five cases happen under the influence of alcohol.

Wives or girlfriends account for almost 59 per cent of victims in assault involving husbands or boyfriends.

Less than 20 per cent of wives would hit back at the assaulting husbands. Some 11 per cent of girlfriends would initiate an attack on boyfriends.

Almost 70 per cent of husband-wife disputes stem from jealousy.

In cases involving children and parents, almost equal numbers of incidents are about parents beating children and about teenagers assaulting parents.

Bangkok is at the top list of domestic violence as well as suicide cases, followed by Chon Buri, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ayutthaya and Prachuab Khiri Khan.

The youngest victim of suicide was 10 and the oldest was 82.

For incest cases, 28 per cent are related to father-child sexual violations and 21 per cent involve brother and sister violations.

Chon Buri, Ang Thong and Udon Thani are at the top list for incest cases.

In family-related sexual abuse, a two-year-old baby is the youngest victim of sexual abuse by stepfather. And a 71-year-old grandmother was raped by nephew.

"sexual violation of family members (3.8 per cent)."

Absolute rubbish! EU and American figures are at 16% average concerning city life - they are worse in rural areas by far.

I wonder; well I don't. Rather, I'd say why hide the truth Thailand? The figures for Southern Asia are astronomical - that's why.

• Like 1

Maybe its just me, but i find the article a bit confusing.

Have they based their assumption on 368 news reports on domestic violence cases in 2014 nationwide or just in Bkk alone?

If it is just Bkk, what are they basing their statistics against?

If it is nationwide, have they taken into consideration the variable of population in Bkk compared to the other cities mentioned? Taken into consideration the number of unreported offences?

Call me pessimistic if you like, but i reckon it would be a fair bet that there were more than 368 cases of domestic violence in Bkk alone last year without looking at a population of 65,000,000 (ish) throughout the country.

One horrible thing about statistics is that you can pretty much make the figures say what you want.....................wink.png

Again: Mr. P or the Ministry of Culture and Moral and Ethics and stuff...please...any comment?

Any time now, please!

You expect them to fix something that's been broken for centuries and has been made worse in the last 7 decades by rampant alcohol abuse?

Take a look at the domestic violence situation in your own home country. Have your country's leaders made any inroads to reduce it?

Probably the best immediate solution would be to get everyone off alcohol and onto marijuana. It's easier to satisfy a craving for munchies than it is a craving for violence.

in the UK there has certainly been many inroads to reduce domestic violence and bring those responsible to justice. police and social service initiatives, training of social service staff and police officers to deal with domestic violence. government campaigns to create awareness of the help and support available.

In Malaysia, 1/3 women have been sexually molested by family members; mostly among Malay Muslim fathers, brothers and uncles. I suspect the real number is greater. Malay police routinely molest captives and the trafficked lot of victims is almost too numerous to count.

Last time I looked at Thai figures was in 2005. One local sociology department estimated >50% of Thai women were beaten at some point. As for molestation, I doubt they will ever get an accurate assessment. There were, at the time, far more Thai prostitutes (>1 mil) servicing Thai men than foreigners as a matter of necessity.

Such is life in ASEAN domains ...

it is indemic is Thai society and little boys are taught that is OK to hit woman.

If you do not believe this statement then watch a Thai soap on channel 3 Full of benevolence against woman

I am not saying that Thai television is all to blame but its a good place to start eradication on this.

Its a sorry state of affairs Not tolerated in America.

I doubt very much that domestic violence is a high priority on the list of crimes (and it is a crime) of the Thai "justice" and "legal" systems. Where can the victims go and turn to?

There is no photo oportunity, no fees to collect and no ego to boost.

So I reckon it will, unfortunately, continue unabated as a fact of daily Thai life.

Again: Mr. P or the Ministry of Culture and Moral and Ethics and stuff...please...any comment?

Any time now, please!

You expect them to fix something that's been broken for centuries and has been made worse in the last 7 decades by rampant alcohol abuse?

Take a look at the domestic violence situation in your own home country. Have your country's leaders made any inroads to reduce it?

Probably the best immediate solution would be to get everyone off alcohol and onto marijuana. It's easier to satisfy a craving for munchies than it is a craving for violence.

Are you some kind of a broken record? You asked the "What has your country done"- question on another thread already and I can assure you, "my " country has done way more, than anything Thailand will ever do.

But as you do not seem to be the brightest bulb in the candelabre: I made a toungue in cheek comment about Mr. P and Ethics, Culture, Moral ...and stuff - ministry, because both of them seem to see morals and culture threatened by underboob-selfies and women in mini-skirts.

That is what they blubber on about.

I would really like to hear some sensible comments on subjects that MATTER!

Thank you for the attention!

no your back tracking for a poor post..dont worry..we all make mistakes..