UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is closing.

doctormann

I just received an alert from HMG that the honorary consulate in Chiang Mai is closing on 16 May.

After that date, anyone needing consular assistance will have to contact the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

The contact number is +66 (0) 2305 8333

DM

• Like 2

Change in the way the UK provides assistance to British Nationals in Chiang Mai
From 16 May the UK is changing the way that it provides consular assistance to British nationals in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area.
From 16 May British nationals who find themselves in need of assistance in Northern Thailand, for example because they have been hospitalised, arrested, or been the victim of crime, should contact the Consular Section of the Embassy in Bangkok +66 (0) 2305 8333. The Embassy in Bangkok will provide consular advice and assistance, working with our Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai as necessary. The office in Chiang Mai will close from 16 May.
This change follows on from the centralisation of notarial and documentary services into the Embassy in Bangkok on 2 February. Many of those services can be provided by post, without the need for British nationals to visit the Embassy. The Notarial team in Bangkok provide a same day service by appointment for those transactions that require attendance in person. Information about the range of notarial services we provide and how to make an appointment can be found here.
These new arrangements will enable us to reinforce the consular team at the British Embassy in Bangkok to provide a more efficient notarial and documentary service, and consistent, high quality assistance to vulnerable British nationals who need our help when they get into difficulty.
The Consul in Bangkok, Michael Hancock has said:
This new way of operating in Northern Thailand will make the most efficient use of our resources, and offer an effective service to our most vulnerable customers via our experienced consular team in Bangkok, supported by our Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai. This is consistent with how we support British nationals elsewhere in Thailand.
What to do in an emergency
British nationals needing assistance should phone the British Embassy in Bangkok on +66 (0)2 305 8333 and follow the instructions to speak to a consular officer who will assist you. If you have an emergency out of working hours you will be directed to our 24 hour emergency line to speak to a member of our consular staff.

Source: British Embassy Bangkok

Same thing happened to the Australian Embassy n Chiang Mai

Must be for that people go to a Embassy so that way things done in a controlled office

Embassies are only located in the capital of the country ... in Bangkok. Presumably it was a consulate or honorary consulate.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Must be for that people go to a Embassy so that way things done in a controlled office

I've only been here 3 years, and was unaware that there had been an Australian Embassy in Chiang Mai.

As long as there is still an honorary consul here, we might be able to battle on!

I wouldn't want to pin it on any particular government. It was Tony Blair (or maybe just into Gordon Brown), that sold the front lawn of the UK Embassy BKK

Then years ago another govt sold off the Brit consulate in CM.

I wonder if the British Council will be staying at the same address. Maybe it is time for them to move. Earmarked for a boutique hotel perhaps. Although it is rented, so maybe the lease is up.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to pin it on any particular government. It was Tony Blair (or maybe just into Gordon Brown), that sold the front lawn of the UK Embassy BKK

Then years ago another govt sold off the Brit consulate in CM.

I wonder if the British Council will be staying at the same address. Maybe it is time for them to move. Earmarked for a boutique hotel perhaps. Although it is rented, so maybe the lease is up.

Facilities for ex pats are very low on their list.

This new way of operating in Northern Thailand will make the most efficient use of our resources, and offer an effective service to our most vulnerable customers via our experienced consular team in Bangkok, supported by our Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai

Just as a bit of clarification from Michael Hancock....

statement directs that the Office will cease to exist... will close but suggests that our Hon Consul Ben will still be in "office"...maybe working from home (or a local pub...Ben only joking....recon) but what about his wonderful Thai assistant/s..?....not bloody cricket....

Got their numbers.... maybe get on the dog and bone...

I've only been here 3 years, and was unaware that there had been an Australian Embassy in Chiang Mai.

As long as there is still an honorary consul here, we might be able to battle on!

Never was an Australian Embassy in CM was there ? just Mike Walther who was the honorary consul working out of a landscaping business out of town and he's gone too as I understand it.

If the teaching centre is staying open, the overhead to cover additional costs to maintain a consular office is relatively minimal - a couple of Thai staff salaries and a little for electricity.

As the teaching centre can't cover its own operating costs without UK government cash, I'd say that's going as well.

• Like 1

Sorry mate

No there was was only a honorary consul

They stopped the honorary consul a couple of months ago

However the Aust Embassy will come to Chiang Mai 4 times per year

You have to pay a fee to get paperwork certified by them

This is happening at a time when the British resident and retiree community is expanding every year, and tourism from the UK steadily increases.

The logic that the Embassy in Bangkok can provide urgent or adequate help in a personal emergency is flawed.

Many British passport holders will unfortunately suffer as a result.

In my opinion, this is an irresponsible, short-sighted decision.

Will the British Council be next for the chop?

• Like 1

Sorry mate

No there was was only a honorary consul

They stopped the honorary consul a couple of months ago

However the Aust Embassy will come to Chiang Mai 4 times per year

You have to pay a fee to get paperwork certified by them

Sounds like a good idea, put a couple of bods in a van and let them tour the provinces.

• Like 1

Well, us Yanks may moan and complain about how much it costs to get a document notarized or make a visit to the US Consulate, but, it makes the Consulate self-sufficient financially. Which means they stay open.

Compared to the time and expense to travel to BKK, I'm really OK with having to shell out the $$$ to make my occasional visit. Plus I know what I'm getting at the CM US Consulate. The service is top-notch.

• Like 1

It sounds like Consul offices and Honorary Consul closures are across the country. The other week The Australian Honorary Consul in Phuket finished, someone posted the Australian Consul Office in Chiang Mai closed, another said the UK office in Pattaya closed and now the UK office in Chiang Mai as well. Does anyone know of any others? With everything going on in Thailand to indicate they don't want tourists/expats coming here anymore, is this just another move to make it harder and remove support?

• Like 1