Jomtien beach, dirty or not?

norhawk

So, then swim in the pool or go to another beach, like one on Koh Larn?

Koh Larn, near the city also has issues, the far side of the island is ok. People do go swimming at Jomtien, jet ski, etc. I would personally stay out of the water.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dirtier. 4 more years of crap added to the pile. Every roadside lot has turned into a place where contractors dump all their trash.

Sad. A country with an ubundent unskilled labor force and they can't get the trash picked up.

Jomtien beach has got worse over recent years with plastic bags, half filled polystyrene food containers, cigarette ends and people pissing on it (mainly near the volleyball spectators seating area) .

Jomtien beach side roads are littered too, with household and builders rubbish, probably from those who are to lazy to dump it to the lakes like everyone else.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dirtier. 4 more years of crap added to the pile. Every roadside lot has turned into a place where contractors dump all their trash.

Sad. A country with an ubundent unskilled labor force and they can't get the trash picked up.

Jomtien beach has got worse over recent years with plastic bags, half filled polystyrene food containers, cigarette ends and people pissing on it (mainly near the volleyball spectators seating area) .

Jomtien beach side roads are littered too, with household and builders rubbish, probably from those who are to lazy to dump it to the lakes like everyone else.

The amount of garbage on and near the beach has gone way up, along with the numbers of people visiting the beach who seem to not care at all about disposing their garbage properly. And, sometimes, the beach looks "prestine" like this:

post-110622-0-47717600-1428481217_thumb.

It is sad, to say the least. The water itself is horribly polluted and only a mindless idiot would swim in it. And the last time I was at Koh Larn, on its western side, there was a large amount of garbage in the water.

Thailand: The Hub of Water Pollution!

• Like 1

I started cleaning up Jomtien beach to impress the locals, watch me in action early mornings , if you see a farang with a garbage bag picking up trash it's me. Maybe some day the locals will join me but I doubt it,

• Like 2

Its looking down from high up and seeing all the waste water drain pipes that go into the sea and the the black sludge that diffuses back to the beach....ughh!!!!!!!and people are swimming in it.....

The Gulf of Thailand is one of the dirtiest seas in the world and it's not improving!

Waste and sewer from all of Thailand flows in it with barely any cleaning or processing, including lots of industries... and than we have the off shore installations that are also all properly disposing of their wastes....

The same as 4 years ago, not much change either way. Imho, Pattaya Beach is worse.

You are probably right about the Beach. (Or the sea)

Jomtiem has some filthy streets leading up to the beach though..... more open space for dumping and parking likely the reason.

Basically, the further south you get in the Jomtien bay, the better it gets. Would advise to try the close to empty beaches in Na Jomtien, e.g. around the Sunset Resort.

Or go even further south to the military beach around the naval base. Koh Larm is ok, especially now out of season.

much worse. I first came in 2004 and thought it was OK. Since 2009 and the large influx of unsupervised construction, and expansion it is much worse. I won't swim there any more. I will wait and head to Ko Samet or north side of Ko Larn, or jet off to Karon beach on Phuket. That flight from Utapao is pretty nice and affordable.

Those pictures are very telling, hope the Mayor and the TOT sees them. In fairness to Jomtien those pictures could have been taken in many places in Pattaya. I for one advocate property taxes to fix the the infrastructure of this city.

• Like 1

Those pictures are very telling, hope the Mayor and the TOT sees them. In fairness to Jomtien those pictures could have been taken in many places in Pattaya. I for one advocate property taxes to fix the the infrastructure of this city.

why would you do something so foolish? the money is there already. what needs to be done is to put a stop to its theft. working for the local goverment does not include all the cash you can put in pockets as a benifit of the job . start at the top & wash down, just like you wash your car. it is so simple to understand, but it is hard to convince a thief, not to be a thief, thats why there are jails. :-)

• Like 2

It is incongruous and so saddening to me that if a Falang goes scantily dressed on the beach ThAis are offended but if he/she sun bathes and swims in all their domestic trash/waste on what should be a pristine tourist attraction.... THAT'S OK!

The beach is fine and much better then Pattaya beach but the town itself is a "wanna be" resort, shabby, broken pavement, no fast foods/clinics/hospitals/cinemas/big box stores - really little of anything and most residents appear to spend their time in Pattaya Central Zone.

Sorry to say but the Thai people are some of the dirtiest people in the world. They may take umpteen showers a day, clean their houses, wash their clothes etc but they then dump their trash anywhere they like, let their dogs out to poo and piss outside somebodies house (as long as it is not theirs) get their purchases from 7-11 in a plastic bag which is then dropped on the footpath after they leave the store. A lot will spit in the street and the most disgusting of all blow their noses out onto the public street or footpath.

With there now being more people and more businesses in Jomtien than 4 years ago with the same attitude to garbage I fail to see how it could have improved.

Tourists showed me a video from the View Talay building, high floor. Disgusting filth being pushed out to sea casting a dark shadow on the surface. I would say it's dangerous to swim there. Pattaya beach is worse. Phuket well on its way to becoming totally spoilt too.

Looks just like samut prakan, apart from the sand, this is Thailand! Dirty compared to places where people do not dump their trash on every spare bit of land, you know decent civilized places such as Singapore

Edited by dragonfly94

Every toilet that flushes ends up out in the sea, .. but not far enough to prevent it coming back to shore! I used to go for a dip every night at sundown. One night I was bobbing about in the water, up to my neck, with knees bent, .... when something bopped me in the back of the head, ... a frickin' turd!!! I have never been in the water since, .... only the swimming pool for me. The far side of Koh Larn has clean beaches, or if you head down toward Sattahip there are clean beaches there too!

Some people, ...most likely the cheapskate Russians were complaining about not enough free space along the beach, so the Army kicked out several beach chair vendors to leave areas of sand free. ... but now, no one cleans that area, .. the walkway has disappeared under sand and the whole area is littered with leaves and garbage! .... and the worst offenders of leaving trash are, .. The Thais! They spead out their bamboo mats, open their car doors, crank up the tunes, crack open the booze and eat their fill. When they are done, they roll up the mats and take off leaving the rest!!

• Like 1