Child molesters to lose teaching licences: Thai council

webfact

Child molesters to lose teaching licences: council
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Teachers' Council of Thailand at the Education Ministry will revoke the licences of teachers who molest pupils, on top of disciplinary and criminal punishments against such offenders.

Office of the Basic Education Commission chief Kamol Rodklai said yesterday that the council had informed him that incidents of teachers molesting students would be regarded as major cases and council officials would assist any police investigation.

Education Minister Admiral Narong Pipathanasai said the council's secretariat had reported the progress of a probe into a male schoolteacher accused of molesting four boys during a field trip in Singapore.

The council said his teaching licence would be revoked if he were found guilty.

"The process of selecting teachers cannot screen all [the bad candidates] out, and there are nearly 400,000 teachers in Thailand, hence a large organisation like this is bound to have some bad apples," Narong said. "People who apply to be teachers don't show an inappropriate side while applying for the job but when they actually work and are exposed to temptations, some might do inappropriate things, and they must be probed and severely punished if found guilty," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Child-molesters-to-lose-teaching-licences-council-30257782.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-10

• Like 1

If the case happened in SIngapore I am sure the Singapore government would be perfectly prepared to investigate and file criminal charges. I assume there is an extradition treaty with Singapore. I understand the Singapore Penal Authorities could teach the teachers a thing or two about corporal punishment.

• Like 1

So long as there is due process and any determinations are 'safe'. We saw a couple of weeks ago an allegation that a couple of youngsters had been molested on a trip to Singapore and the announcement that because the teacher concerned was "effeminate" that implied truth. The molesters have to go but it needs to be in the context of a fair system, not accusations/allegations/pay back/witch hunts

And why would you hold any hope that this would require more evidence than LM convictions?

If the case happened in SIngapore I am sure the Singapore government would be perfectly prepared to investigate and file criminal charges. I assume there is an extradition treaty with Singapore. I understand the Singapore Penal Authorities could teach the teachers a thing or two about corporal punishment.

First rule of life : Do not assume anything.

So, before this announcement by the very on-the-ball teachers' council, a teacer could do disgusting things to a pupil, get thrown in jail, come out and go straight back to teaching because this very on-the-ball teachers' council did not think it necessary to pull their licences? I'm sure the council may argue that it doesn't matter because school administrators would be on-the-ball and refuse to employ these disgusting teachers. Right. Ok. Now I understand, silly me. I'm on-the-ball at last.

• Like 1

"Office of the Basic Education Commission chief Kamol Rodklai said yesterday that the council had informed him that incidents of teachers molesting students would be regarded as major cases and council officials would assist any police investigation."

So what was the previous policy?

Do nothing. Sweep it under the carpet. Get the teacher to pay a sum of money to the parents. Any or none of the above!

• Like 1

Dear JOC, dear mikemac....

if I want your sarcy remarks, I would probably have asked you!

And if you were as intelligent as you are funny (...well..., I guess you are!), you might notice, that I asked Manbing to clarify.

IF it was sarcasm...fine!

But with the bunch of numbskulls, talking about "nanny states" and "the PC- brigade" ...and being serious about it...it is sometimes not easy to know!

And now: get going, the bars open soon for Happy Hour!

What is with this "effeminate" reference to the teacher who went to Singapore? Most child molesters appear to be straight, have families, and abuse their own children. Gays are attracted to the same sex and are not pedophiles. Another comment akin to sexy dressing causes rape. What a primitive, uninformed, uninsightful, repressed group of people!!!.

How can these folks be so blind to the devastating effects molestation has on children? I am in a group of recovering people and every drug abuser who is a woman in the group was sexually abused as a child. Coincidence? I think not. Get a grip guys!!!!!!

• Like 2

What is with this "effeminate" reference to the teacher who went to Singapore? Most child molesters appear to be straight, have families, and abuse their own children. Gays are attracted to the same sex and are not pedophiles. Another comment akin to sexy dressing causes rape. What a primitive, uninformed, uninsightful, repressed group of people!!!.

How can these folks be so blind to the devastating effects molestation has on children? I am in a group of recovering people and every drug abuser who is a woman in the group was sexually abused as a child. Coincidence? I think not. Get a grip guys!!!!!!

You cannot say that there are no pedophiles in the gay community.

Yes, there are also gay pedophiles.

Good luck with your recovery and group.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

While I tend to agree with much of what you say, I cannot agree with your statement "Gays are attracted to the same sex and are not pedophiles." Do you mean, unless they are priests? Are pedophiles attracted to the same sex child not homosexual? Gay,straight, or bisexual; pedophiles like children for sex.

• Like 1

"Office of the Basic Education Commission chief Kamol Rodklai said yesterday that the council had informed him that incidents of teachers molesting students would be regarded as major cases and council officials would assist any police investigation."

So what was the previous policy?

It does make you wonder ...

Dear JOC, dear mikemac....

if I want your sarcy remarks, I would probably have asked you!

And if you were as intelligent as you are funny (...well..., I guess you are!), you might notice, that I asked Manbing to clarify.

IF it was sarcasm...fine!

But with the bunch of numbskulls, talking about "nanny states" and "the PC- brigade" ...and being serious about it...it is sometimes not easy to know!

And now: get going, the bars open soon for Happy Hour!

Would you like JOC and I to bring you back a Shirley Temple ?

And there is nothing to joke about when it comes to nanny states and the PC brigade. They are real and should be feared and taken seriously.