Snake

Tywais

Here's another one - if anyone can identify it I would be interested... a bit over 2m long... live in the middle of rice fields...

:o

Family members say my snake is a "ngoo sing" which eats fish and snakes and is not venomous, worth about 100 baht in the market...

What is the Latin name anyone ? Or English name ? :D

That one is easy to identify its Elaphe Radiata or Radiated Rat Snake another common constrictor. Its a neat snake because if you handle it will threaten you and if you don't release it then it will play dead, of course if a Thai handles it it will be lunch. The locals here don't call it "ngoo sing" that is the "Oriental Rat Snake" however since they enjoy eating both they probably call the by the same name.

Here's another one - if anyone can identify it I would be interested... a bit over 2m long... live in the middle of rice fields...

Family members say my snake is a "ngoo sing" which eats fish and snakes and is not venomous, worth about 100 baht in the market...

That one is easy to identify its Elaphe Radiata or Radiated Rat Snake another common constrictor. Its a neat snake because if you handle it will threaten you and if you don't release it then it will play dead, of course if a Thai handles it it will be lunch. The locals here don't call it "ngoo sing" that is the "Oriental Rat Snake" however since they enjoy eating both they probably call them by the same name.

That one is easy to identify its Elaphe Radiata or Radiated Rat Snake another common constrictor. Its a neat snake because if you handle it will threaten you and if you don't release it then it will play dead, of course if a Thai handles it it will be lunch. The locals here don't call it "ngoo sing" that is the "Oriental Rat Snake" however since they enjoy eating both they probably call them by the same name.

Here are a couple of links from my family website that show a specimen of each:

http://www.karamanosfamily.com/images/radiatedratsnake.jpg

http://www.karamanosfamily.com/images/orientalratsnake.jpg

Sorry for multiple post was having the usual problems with CSLoxinfo IPSTAR, BTW canceling the service tomorrow.

Edited by Sakeopete

Hi I'm a bit of a hobby herpatologist (herper) the snake in the picture has been identified correctly as a common brozeback. I have found a few myself and they are harmles to us but not lizards and paddy frogs :o .

Thanks for that update. One of the odd things about this snake was that when it took off it didn't move forward (serpentine fashion) like most snakes I've seen but sideways similar to a desert snake. Back in the US we have what is called a Sidewinder snake and moves just like this one did.

:D

Sorry for multiple post was having the usual problems with CSLoxinfo IPSTAR, BTW canceling the service tomorrow.

Thanks very much for that - so are you sure I can pick it up safely ? :o

• 7 months later...

:D

Thanks very much for that - so are you sure I can pick it up safely ? :o

I just found this posts and i will try to give you some information about that snake in your house. To me it looks like a Psammodynastes pulverulentus (Common Mock Viper)

Total length: Up to 77 cm.

Occurrence: All Thai regions

Behaviour/habitat:

The Psammodynastes pulverulentus prefers hilly areas in primary and secondary forests. They are more seldom in the low lands and in human settlements. This, however, does not seem to apply to the example living in southern Thailand. In this area, the snake can be found in rotting leaves and on rubber plantations. The snake is active at dusk and at night. The Common Mock Viper (has a head similar to a viper) lives mainly on the ground and eats geckos.

Danger: None

or it was a

Enhydris enhydris (Bocourt´s Water Snake) length: approx. 80 cm

Occurrence: Throughout Thailand

Behaviour/habitat/appearance:

The striped water snake is a common snake in the damp lowlands of Thailand. The top of the body is grey to olive green and has dark grey to light brown vertical stripes. The stomach is white-yellowy. The snake can often be found near pools and ponds. They feed themselves on frogs, frog spawn and fish.

Danger:

The Enhydris enhydris is a type of viper which has the dreaded poisonous fangs at the back of the jaw. They are, however, no danger to humans. The snake bite only leads to some short term pain in the bitten area.

More infos about snakes ,poisened or non poisened you can find at http://www.siam-info.de/english/poisonous_animals.html

hope it helped a bit and at all it wasen't a real dangerous snake. :D

Totally OT, but I had a problem 3 days after installation, as they installed used stuff. It did wonders, though, to hang on the phone at least 5 times a day, telling in a friendly and whining voice the same story over and over again, till they, in total desperation gave me the mobile phone number of their technician, whom I still needed to phone every hour till he came. They replaced the used stuff for brand new ones and, wow, it works since! Got a new addiction now :o:D

Nienke

any snakes, milipedes centipedes and scorpions that i come across on my land will be killed without a trial.

spare me the political and spiritual correctness but many are dangerous, and one less of them is good in my book.

The millipedes are not. My dog constantly plays with them, they do secrete a yellowish substance but the dog seems unaffected. I pick them up with my bare hands (wash them afterwards) and throw them in the bushes. They do wonders for your soil, like earthworms do.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I think a "ngoo sing" is a rat snake. I've got a small green snake somewhere behind the toilet tank / under the toilet tank (can't see it, didn't see it, my husband did though). No idea what kind, every time I show my Thai husband a different picture, he says "that's it!" to everything! I need a pee, but am too scared to bare my behind to the toilet snake. Any ideas? Could it be a viper???? The only decent decription I can get is: just less than a metre long (probably exaggeration), width of a little finger and green.

Only safe snakes are trouser snakes.

Thats debatable :o

Never understood the fascination with snakes myself but respect people's rights to have different interests. It'd be a boring place indeed if we all had the same interests and hobbies.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all snakes people...

nug from malaysia. *nug waves n say hi.. :o

1 question :is there very little amount of people in thai keep snakes n exotics as pet ?coz nug just see all topic are regarding canines n

feelines...