Siam-Legal insists that with marriage extensions you can still use combination method

I was asked by a fellow expat whether one could use for the financials for 1 year marriage extensions, the combination method. In other words combine something less than 40,000 THB monthly income and something less than 400,000 THB in Thai Bank. When I told him no, he said that Siam-Legal's web site says you can and that he contacted Siam Legal and they said their web site is correct and up to date. So I contacted Siam Legal (email) and told them that I think their web site is wrong, or not up to date on this subject. I was very specific and told them I understood the difference between Marriage extensions and Retirement extensions and that I was asking about Marriage extensions. There reply is below:

"Thank you for contacting Siam Legal International. It is still correct based on the regulation by the main immigration office in Bangkok.

We have generated a support ticket to help us track your inquiry. Your ticket code is LTK12173025011405X. Please use this code in any further communication."

So I responded to that email, asking them to reconfirm and I sited information from the official Thai immigration website that makes no mention of being able to use the combination method for marriage extensions. They again replied as below:

"Thank you for contacting Siam Legal International. I confirm that when visiting the immigration office in Bangkok, a combination method is still acceptable.

We have generated a support ticket to help us track your inquiry. Your ticket code is LTK12173025011405X. Please use this code in any further communication."

I am pretty sure that I have read some posts on TV that one cannot use the combination method for marriage extensions. Can anyone confirm one way or the other and also point me to a reliable source?

IIRC the combo method for marriage extensions disappeared when the facility to include your spouse's earnings was removed some years back.

Still available for retirement extensions.

You are here in this site, given the rules and regulations valid in this country. And you are being supported by well educated people within this field.

However I personally have found since day 1 here in Thailand, that among all this corruption and all this keeping face, and all these unskilled employes within the immigration, rules and laws are bended directly according to the amount of money you can present to the officer in question.

So what you are saying is NOT new, but it is NOT legal and it is NOT according to the law.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Just for the heck of it, I contacted Indo-Siam Group and asked the same question. They also confirm that one can still use the combination method for marriage extensions in Bangkok. No mention of "special fees", so I don't know. Anyway, it looks like there is no definitive answer and as mentioned it may depend on one's willingness to pay additional fees, or maybe even the mood of the immigration officer or to which office one is making the application. Would be curious if anybody on here reports that they were either approved or denied an extension when trying the combination method. Since the requirements aren't necessarily all that high for marriage extension, perhaps nobody, or very few people have tried going this route.

Last time I looked, a lot of the info on the Immigration law firm's websites was out of date relative to what the current rules in fact are.

As for the specific OP question, as noted above, the actual Immigration regulation for marriage extensions doesn't mention the combo method, and the prevailing guidance here on TV has been that combo is not available for marriage extensions.

On the other hand, I'm trying to recall if there's been any report here of anyone trying a combo method marriage extension at Bangkok and being denied???