Hua Hin or Rayong

Tocquinio

Evening all.

Me and the Missus would like to go and live by the sea somewhere in Thailand. I don't want to live on an island and she doesn't like the idea of Pattaya, which i can live with.. so the 2 obvious choices are Rayong and Hua Hin. Rayong looks a fair bit cheaper for rents, but perhaps Hua Hin has a bit more happening. She has experience in Admin and HR and also in the hotel industry. We both agree that she should continue working, so this will have to be a consideration when we decide.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks as always in advance thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

4 Years ago we moved from Ban Amphurm, Najomtien (Sattahip District) 15 km south of Pattaya to Ban Chang, the first city in Rayong province coming from Chonburi and we like it.

No traffic jams, anywhere up to 20 km south of Pattaya is getting increasingly busy on weekends en holidays and Rayong city is very busy every morning and evening.

Ban Chang has no traffic jams increasing shopping facilities and if you need something from farangland you can go to Pattaya on a quiet day to get it and Rayong city is also getting a 3rd shopping mall.

Many foreigners living here and socially more open than the Pattaya area to our experience.

For your wife's options for work, Hua Hin would be limited to hotels and Rayong and Chonburi have huge industries and their peripheral where a good English speaker should be able to get a job quickly.

• Like 1

I like Rayong, I would think about Cha-am too, Very Quiet Relaxing town Rayong, Quiet Beaches, I don't know why but I like it, you should probably do a lil Holiday and try them both out for a few days, Hua Hin its OK but did not get the same feel as Rayong... Your also close to Patts and jobs for wife

Edited by Dannyboy666

Easy answer.
Hua Hin!
I have friends in Rayong and had plans to move there 2 years ago so we went there to explore the area and look for house to rent.
After 3 days we went back to Hua Hin, you can not compare Rayong and Hua Hin at all, Rayong is a small very boring place with ugly beaches and very difficult to find a nice house to rent.

Hua Hin beats any other place in Thailand when it comes to live long time.

Edited by pbonline
  • Like 1

Interesting thread smile.png My Thai Wife and I are deciding between Rayong and Hua Hin/Cha-am area as well. We kind of like sleepy ghost town type areas

so maybe Rayong beach areas would be something nice, but you just never know until you step foot in place to see how it really feels.

Edited by steve654
  • Like 2

Interesting thread smile.png My Thai Wife and I are deciding between Rayong and Hua Hin/Cha-am area as well. We kind of like sleepy ghost town type areas

so maybe Rayong beach areas would be something nice, but you just never know until you step foot in place to see how it really feels.

I think you'll like it make sure you go South Past Marriot, lovely restaurants quiet Beaches laid out, Laid Back, No Stress there, Chantaburi is close

Star Property is a nice company for renting but I advice you to stay in Hotell and rent motorbike and go look by your self for places to rent.

http://star-property-huahin.com/

Here is a nice hotell with a good location for a very resonable price.

http://www.tripadvisor.se/HotelHighlight-g297922-d3774605-Reviews-La_or_Resort-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

When you come to Hua Hin, dont miss the evening food market in Soi 88 just over the railroad and next to 7/11.

• Like 1

I do like Rayong for a day out but its a dead duck. Its just that bit too far from BKK to make it a popular destination. The only time it livens up is long weekends.....The town itself has good shopping but the beaches, no facilities such as Banks, 7/11s or the usual that makes life easier so its always an unwanted journey to Sukhumvit. Id like to see anyone do Pattaya-Rayong in 30 minutes, that just isn't so...its more like 1.5 hours and at least 3 to BKK. It has its own ghost town atmosphere which can be appealing but living there not for me. Hua Hin has far more facilities and closer to BKK also. If your wife is in the hotel industry Hua Hin would offer far more opportunities for her.

Are you even in THailand? 1.5 hrs to Rayong from Pattaya? are you driving 40kph or thru downtown ? My main home is in Pattaya ___Banglamung area and I can drive to my property in Rayong by the bypass/motoerway in 35 --40 mins. Can drive to BKK from Rayong in 2 hours 30 min max unless traffic from weekend crowd. I would advise Rayong rather than Hua Hin as more things to do, they do have 7-11 and banks large mall ( Lomtong ? ) with new Central Mall soon to be finished.beaches are not crowded and close to Koh Samet.

• Like 1

I like Rayong, I would think about Cha-am too, Very Quiet Relaxing town Rayong, Quiet Beaches, I don't know why but I like it, you should probably do a lil Holiday and try them both out for a few days, Hua Hin its OK but did not get the same feel as Rayong... Your also close to Patts and jobs for wife

Patts,Patts,Patts,the centre of the farang universe!!!!!

• Like 1

I do like Rayong for a day out but its a dead duck. Its just that bit too far from BKK to make it a popular destination. The only time it livens up is long weekends.....The town itself has good shopping but the beaches, no facilities such as Banks, 7/11s or the usual that makes life easier so its always an unwanted journey to Sukhumvit. Id like to see anyone do Pattaya-Rayong in 30 minutes, that just isn't so...its more like 1.5 hours and at least 3 to BKK. It has its own ghost town atmosphere which can be appealing but living there not for me. Hua Hin has far more facilities and closer to BKK also. If your wife is in the hotel industry Hua Hin would offer far more opportunities for her.

My god,how do people survive there,no banks,7's etc?

I live in Rayong on the west side of Ban Phe at Mae Rhumpung and the beach is 12km of emptiness outside of high season and weekends. The problem is the beach is covered in rubbish mostly from the fishing fleets and it will look like a disaster zone after the songkran crowds go home. The plus points are things like getting a songthaew into Rayong city for 20 baht, not being a big holiday destination for foreigners (other than Koh Samet which has it's own macro life)it generally isn't rip off prices. If you want quiet and nice beaches then go east of Ban Phe to laem Mae Phim where you have stunning empty beaches, stay at the Novotel or the new Marriot for a few days to see how beautiful Rayong province can be. Ban Phe and Koh Samet are the driest parts of Thailand having the least amount of rain.

I did take 2 hours to get to Pattaya once, it was a Friday evening and the roads were jammed with container lorries. Rayong is an industrial city and has the largest industrial estate in Thailand at Map ta Phut where the immigration office is located. My understanding is that the ordinary people of Rayong have the most disposable income of anywhere in Thailand due to higher wages from industry and land prices lower than greater Bangkok & Chonburi but land is expensive near the beaches here. Because of the proximity to large ports Rayong & Chonburi will get more industrialised but it is convenient to get to the airport and there is a good infrastructure here with good hospitals etc, the Bangkok chain of hospitals has just built another just off the 36 on the SE part of the city. We get a lot of the Bangkok weekend crowd now because they discovered Rayong during the floods and how convenient it is to get here. Rayong city has some great nightlife if you want that but outside of the city it's quieter. Something I like is the wildlife and as the locals generally don't eat snakes you can get to see some interesting wildlife including 2m long water monitor lizards which look like crocodiles, I've seen a 4 to 5m long python crossing the road here in the early hours of the morning.

Edited by sandrabbit
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks Lone Ranger! Very interested to check out Takiab Beach next month. Do you know of any decent website showing real rental prices for villas and condos there?

I would agrre with PBONLINE's comments. Arrive here 1st & check in to one of the many hotels/guesthouses around Takiab.

Anantisila is 4 star but 1 of the best hotels in Thailand ..great to dine there or just use their facilities ,private sun longers,pool restaurant/bar etc 500bt all in of which the food baically covers that twww.anantisilaresort.com ..cheaper 3 star hotel also on Takiab beach is blue sky hotel but check if renovation of lifts & construction of beach restaurant completed .Thera are many new condo blocks just built all along that area as soon as you turn off left at the bypass going south ...as suggested rent a motor bike & explore ..it's fun too...but if you have the money always travel in a car as much safer.Papa Joh's has the best European foods with steak to die for [i know his supplier & his 2 chefs he pays double the rate so in turn they have been there many years & are excellent chefs. Also right on the beach is a superb thai seafood open air restaurant where literally Thais come from BKK to dine on the beach..50m from Anantisila set back going south ..just marble tables ...but same day seafood cooked to perfection & amazing value ..a must. I know once you spend just 1 afternoon/evening on Takiab beach underneath the holy mountain you will never want to leave....

w00t.gif .....cheesy.gif

Ok Grandpa ...I'll bite.....your talking about riding your bike!??? Right!....

In my truck I can get to Pattaya in about 45 minutes, easily...its a little over 50 kilometers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=distance+from+noen+phra+to+pattaya

As for Bangkok .....its 158 kilometers from my Rayong house to my Bangkok house.....ie about 2 hours leisurely drive (and when I go 120 kph-140kph I've done it in 1.5 hrs door to door)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=distance+from+noen+phra+to+prawet+thailand

Not a popular destination....ever hear of Koh Samet.whistling.gif

But got to admit ....your right....city of Rayong has no 7/11's or Banks ,It's the only town in Thailand without 7/11's or banks and thankfully not you,,,its just a poe dunk town with NO infrastructure...w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Guessing you don't actually drive anymore and that you've NEVER been to the City of Rayong.bah.gif ...

I think my post has been misread. Firstly as I said I like Rayong and go there for the day every 4 or 5 weeks.

I said there is good shopping and the mall is very good. What I said was if you live near the beach there isn't the facilities such as banks etc, which there isn't. I live Na Jomtien Area and in my car takes me well over an hour....so I can't see how its 30 minutes?...it takes that just Ban Chang. Its the same as Pranburi on the West side, just that bit too far from BKK to ever become popular but if that's what the op likes then good. However he stated his wife works in the tourist industry so for work HH is a better choice.

I lived in Rayong for several years. Work is the only good reason to settle down there. Mae Phim and parts of Samed are nice for short holidays, but expensive and inconvenient to live on. There's also quite a bit of industrial pollution and not much in the way of culture. And perhaps it's just me, but being close to Pattaya is hardly a plus.

Hua Hin, on the other hand, is one of the most cultured, classy,clean, hospitable, safe and pleasant destinations in the entire country. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about the place (who wasn't a sexpat).

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I lived in Rayong for several years. Work is the only good reason to settle down there. Mae Phim and parts of Samed are nice for short holidays, but expensive and inconvenient to live on. There's also quite a bit of industrial pollution and not much in the way of culture. And perhaps it's just me, but being close to Pattaya is hardly a plus.

Hua Hin, on the other hand, is one of the most cultured, classy,clean, hospitable, safe and pleasant destinations in the entire country. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about the place (who wasn't a sexpat).

Right on the button Your Thainess !

• Like 1

Thanks Lone Ranger! Very interested to check out Takiab Beach next month. Do you know of any decent website showing real rental prices for villas and condos there?

Forgot to add if you want the best bangers[sausages] & mash with baked beans & onion gravy the Oasis bar is the place to go on left hand side just before Anantisila Resort turn off on the left ...also all day english full monty breakfast to die for ,pool table also & the Brit owner a lovely Mancunian guy is an ardent Man Utd fan so you get to watch the games with passionate Man U supporters like myself !

If you want a spiritual,calm,serene atmosphere where you can arrive in a foul mood say from the traffic or whatever I can guarantee you that within in 30 mins you are are slowly but irrevocably taken to being transformed to an almost monk like state at one with nature,mankind & indeed your very soul....maybe it's the holy mountain ..you should check out the history of that famous monk who arrived by sea from some distant land & decided this place was holy & began to live there alone ...as the locals got wind of this monk they came to meet him & were so impressed wityh his spirituality they all contributed to build him a teample on that mountain at Takiab....although now long dead .I still feel his presence every time I am priveleged to arrive there ....enjoy !

w00t.gif .....cheesy.gif

Ok Grandpa ...I'll bite.....your talking about riding your bike!??? Right!....

In my truck I can get to Pattaya in about 45 minutes, easily...its a little over 50 kilometers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=distance+from+noen+phra+to+pattaya

As for Bangkok .....its 158 kilometers from my Rayong house to my Bangkok house.....ie about 2 hours leisurely drive (and when I go 120 kph-140kph I've done it in 1.5 hrs door to door)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=distance+from+noen+phra+to+prawet+thailand

Not a popular destination....ever hear of Koh Samet.whistling.gif

But got to admit ....your right....city of Rayong has no 7/11's or Banks ,It's the only town in Thailand without 7/11's or banks and thankfully not you,,,its just a poe dunk town with NO infrastructure...w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Guessing you don't actually drive anymore and that you've NEVER been to the City of Rayong.bah.gif ...

I think my post has been misread. Firstly as I said I like Rayong and go there for the day every 4 or 5 weeks.

I said there is good shopping and the mall is very good. What I said was if you live near the beach there isn't the facilities such as banks etc, which there isn't. I live Na Jomtien Area and in my car takes me well over an hour....so I can't see how its 30 minutes?...it takes that just Ban Chang. Its the same as Pranburi on the West side, just that bit too far from BKK to ever become popular but if that's what the op likes then good. However he stated his wife works in the tourist industry so for work HH is a better choice.

. Did you here there is talk of BTS coming to Rayong someday, the mall in Rayong, I hate that place No Organization, Parking is outright Horrible but they are working on it, and so much crap on every floor to congested with Vendors, Need a Central and Quick...

DannyBoy 66 mentioned go to Koh Samat!!!

Do not go there trust me...largest vampire "hen" mosqitos descend in their millions at sundown from the jungle & no spray works you are literally being eaten alive & to make matters worse the sand flies attack your feet ..still got the scars ...added to which the place is a blatent rip off & the people are just out for your money ...wouldn't wish my worst enemy to be shipwrecked there !

DannyBoy 66 mentioned go to Koh Samat!!!

Do not go there trust me...largest vampire "hen" mosqitos descend in their millions at sundown from the jungle & no spray works you are literally being eaten alive & to make matters worse the sand flies attack your feet ..still got the scars ...added to which the place is a blatent rip off & the people are just out for your money ...wouldn't wish my worst enemy to be shipwrecked there !

. Not Me , I never made that Statement, but I heard about The Mosquitos

Thank you for all the info and opinions gents.

I visited Rayong 10 years ago and it doesn't sound like it's changed much! We are going to Hua Hin and Muang Prachuap for a holiday, so will check it out then. From everything I'm hearing I'm hoping and expecting to like it. I will keep an open mind on both and other potential destinatons..

Thanks again wai.gif

I would agrre with PBONLINE's comments. Arrive here 1st & check in to one of the many hotels/guesthouses around Takiab.

Anantisila is 4 star but 1 of the best hotels in Thailand ..great to dine there or just use their facilities ,private sun longers,pool restaurant/bar etc 500bt all in of which the food baically covers that twww.anantisilaresort.com ..cheaper 3 star hotel also on Takiab beach is blue sky hotel but check if renovation of lifts & construction of beach restaurant completed .Thera are many new condo blocks just built all along that area as soon as you turn off left at the bypass going south ...as suggested rent a motor bike & explore ..it's fun too...but if you have the money always travel in a car as much safer.Papa Joh's has the best European foods with steak to die for [i know his supplier & his 2 chefs he pays double the rate so in turn they have been there many years & are excellent chefs. Also right on the beach is a superb thai seafood open air restaurant where literally Thais come from BKK to dine on the beach..50m from Anantisila set back going south ..just marble tables ...but same day seafood cooked to perfection & amazing value ..a must. I know once you spend just 1 afternoon/evening on Takiab beach underneath the holy mountain you will never want to leave....

Thanks for the info smile.png I did check Anantisila but their cheapest room is 3,870 baht a night on certain days. About 3,000 baht a night too much for us lol. For some reason, I just don't want to pay 5-star western prices for a hotel in Thailand. It would also offend my in laws who only make about 5,000 baht/month working really hard to make a living and they will accompany us there. It defeats the purpose for us even traveling there, but I will look around that area as it looks just beautiful.

Edited by steve654