'M Redshirt' arrested in connection to Friday attacks on Samui island

webfact

Ok, I am beginning to think it's a conspiracy to hid the conspiracy.

Here is what happened the bad guys (Reds) want to make it look like the army staged a bombing to lend support to their argument that the country would be better served if we had elections soon. So they staged this whole thing so they could expose to the wider community that it wasn't them but it was staged by the army.....but in fact was staged by the bad guys. Are you confused? So am I.......so the plan is working. The police are in disarray (normal!) , the army is saying nothing till they check whether it was the army that staged the bombing and the bad guys are laughing all the way back to Dubai.

Situation Normal. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"detained at a classified place for investigation, which should take no longer than seven days."

It's a good thing martial law has been suspended or this person would be in a lot of trouble.

Meanwhile let's see how high the National Human Rights Commissioner can jump on this detention.

Not only do I fail to see how this bombing would benefit the red cause. I also have trouble understanding why someone would post about it before hand on Facebook.

Not that logic and caution have a big role in decision making here.

And how does blowing up children with RPG's benefit the reds? How does burning down Bkk benefit them? How do hundreds of acts of terrorism around the world ever really benefit the terrorists? Yet they do it anyway!!! Don't they?

One persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.......................coffee1.gif

Fighting for the freedom, to blow up innocent shoppers, nope this looks like a terrorist attack of some sort, because it was a terrorist attack. wink.png

Whether it was the Moslems, or (less likely IMO) the Reds, or some local mafia-thing, it had nothing to do with fighting for anyone's freedom.

Not only do I fail to see how this bombing would benefit the red cause. I also have trouble understanding why someone would post about it before hand on Facebook.

And how does blowing up children with RPG's benefit the reds? How does burning down Bkk benefit them? How do hundreds of acts of terrorism around the world ever really benefit the terrorists? Yet they do it anyway!!! Don't they?

One persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.......................coffee1.gif

One person's terrorist is every person's terrorist. The planting or lobbing of explosives to kill a random selection of the innocent, some of whom may even support the cause, has nothing to do with freedom and is condemned by all right thinking people on both sides of any conflict.

• Like 2

One person's terrorist is every person's terrorist. The planting or lobbing of explosives to kill a random selection of the innocent, some of whom may even support the cause, has nothing to do with freedom and is condemned by all right thinking people on both sides of any conflict.

Not in any way advocating violence.

But a lot of the civil liberties many of us enjoy today, would probably not have been achieved without some brave people fighting repressive regimes. Back then those brave people were labeled terrorists by those in power. Not to different from today really.

So maybe those people fighting the feudal masters are the future heroes of Thailand?

And before you get started, I don't condone violence in any form or by anyone, but I can understand that people can reach their breaking point!!

• Like 1

But a lot of the civil liberties many of us enjoy today, would probably not have been achieved without some brave people fighting repressive regimes. Back then those brave people were labeled terrorists by those in power. Not to different from today really.

So maybe those people fighting the feudal masters are the future heroes of Thailand?

And before you get started, I don't condone violence in any form or by anyone, but I can understand that people can reach their breaking point!!

JOC, I fully accept your assertion that you wouldn't condone violence, you don't come across as being like that. wai2.gif

But I don't see how stealing a pickup down-South in Yala, then turning it into a car-bomb in the car-park at a shopping-mall on Koh Samui, could be making any valid point in some Redshirt populist-war against "the feudal masters of Thailand", do you ?

Although it might fit with the Moslem seperatists, as an expansion of their regular activities, protesting against what they might see as 'foreign rule' from Bangkok. The potential spread of their bombings to places further North has long been a concern. This attack is similar to previous ones in Hat Yai, for example.

This is different from a ping-pong bomb in the capital, carefully designed not to cause anything more than publicity and embarrass the military, it just doesn't fit with people reaching some breaking-point, so far as I can see.

The target wasn't governmental or military, this wasn't blood or a grenade lobbed over a wall, or the going-on-fire of a government building, the target was clearly civilian and the attack in-no-way heroic defiance of some allegedly-repressive regime.

So I don't think it fits with fighting for freedom, and I suspect, nor upon reflection do you ?

IMHO; I thought the so called 'Redshirts' would just be biding their time until the elections arrive next year, planting car bombs would be a bit of a ‘home goal’ for obvious reasons.

>

Interesting article in today’s Washington Post that mirrors my opinion.

Where is the Facebook screenshot already? Where is the proof that this man 're-opened' his FB page? Are people just supposed to accept whatever the stooges in government say as fact? I say they've done nothing--in the entire modern history of the country--to deserve such deference.

• Like 1

With a government that is operating under Article 44, how can you believe anything they say.

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?”

Good question!

Mind you, losers also try to rewrite history. Calling anything 'politically motivated' when defending some alleged wrongdoings comes close as well.

With a government that is operating under Article 44, how can you believe anything they say.

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?”

Good question!

Mind you, losers also try to rewrite history. Calling anything 'politically motivated' when defending some alleged wrongdoings comes close as well.

Before you will have any winners in Thai politics, you need to wait for the music stop playing.

And then flush the toilet!!

IMHO; I thought the so called 'Redshirts' would just be biding their time until the elections arrive next year, planting car bombs would be a bit of a ‘home goal’ for obvious reasons.

>

You might read in the WP article what you want to read in it rather than having your opinion shared.

"But the opposition is lying low, figuring that the best way to be effective is to give the generals enough rope to hang themselves with; on the streets of Bangkok, there is little discernible dissatisfaction with Prayuth’s putsch.

Many Thais are disillusioned with democracy after the Shinawatras: Thaksin Shinawatra, the billionaire who won election as prime minister in 2001 but was overthrown in 2006 and fled into exile after allegations of widespread corruption, and his sister (and proxy) Yingluck Shinawatra, who Prayuth ousted in May. She has since been impeached and banned from politics for five years."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/thai-junta-enjoys-absolute-power-as-opposition-quietly-bides-its-time/2015/04/12/dbaf5592-dc83-11e4-b6d7-b9bc8acf16f7_story.html

or maybe

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/7-hurt-in-car-bomb-on-tourist-island-in-southern-thailand/2015/04/10/b05d87dc-dfe5-11e4-b6d7-b9bc8acf16f7_story.html

Where is the Facebook screenshot already? Where is the proof that this man 're-opened' his FB page? Are people just supposed to accept whatever the stooges in government say as fact? I say they've done nothing--in the entire modern history of the country--to deserve such deference.

Assuming your talking about the current government AND the entire modern history of Thailand AND 'doing something' you seem to exaggerate a wee bit.

Mind you I do feel sorry for and commiserate with you that the investigators haven't kept you in the loop of the information flow. Still in most cases we, the public are only told small bits and pieces while investigations are ongoing. In that sense we're lucky that in Thailand people like to blabber a bit.

Might this FINALLY be a good enough reason to cancel our friend in Dubai's diplomatic passport? Of course it would be better to drag him back here in irons to be publicly flayed alive, but at least cancelling his diplomatic passport would be a start.

As far as I know that would be 'passport', not 'diplomatic passport'

It was returned to him by his sister 3 weeks after she became PM.

• Like 2

>

You might read in the WP article what you want to read in it rather than having your opinion shared.

"But the opposition is lying low, figuring that the best way to be effective is to give the generals enough rope to hang themselves with; on the streets of Bangkok, there is little discernible dissatisfaction with Prayuth’s putsch.

Many Thais are disillusioned with democracy after the Shinawatras: Thaksin Shinawatra, the billionaire who won election as prime minister in 2001 but was overthrown in 2006 and fled into exile after allegations of widespread corruption, and his sister (and proxy) Yingluck Shinawatra, who Prayuth ousted in May. She has since been impeached and banned from politics for five years."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/thai-junta-enjoys-absolute-power-as-opposition-quietly-bides-its-time/2015/04/12/dbaf5592-dc83-11e4-b6d7-b9bc8acf16f7_story.html

or maybe

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/7-hurt-in-car-bomb-on-tourist-island-in-southern-thailand/2015/04/10/b05d87dc-dfe5-11e4-b6d7-b9bc8acf16f7_story.html

The Washington Post and other serious media outlets look to be fair and aim to provide well researched articles providing explanatory context.But none repeat none have truck with the illegitimate junta, its repression of civil liberties and its increasingly obvious incompetence.Suck it up.

Might this FINALLY be a good enough reason to cancel our friend in Dubai's diplomatic passport? Of course it would be better to drag him back here in irons to be publicly flayed alive, but at least cancelling his diplomatic passport would be a start.

His passport was returned in about October, a few months after the election and during the floods when the department was closed. It wasn't a diplomatic passport.

• Like 1

Interesting post.On Thai Visa political discussions it is taken for granted that the use of violence is to be deplored and whichever side uses excessive force effectively loses the argument.I confess this is also my position.

And yet is it historically justified? If there is a regime that is totally lacking in legitimacy, speaks only for a privileged minority and is incompetent and arrogant - perhaps some judicious violence can be understood if not endorsed.

Redshirt Arrested, Accused of Link to Samui Bombing

By Khaosod Eng.

x14289154301428915886l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

BANGKOK - Military officers have detained a Redshirt activist on suspicion of plotting the car bomb and arson attack in the southern province of Surat Thani last Friday.

Col. Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the ruling military junta, told reporters yesterday that soldiers arrested Narin Ambuathong at his residence in Nonthaburi on 11 April.

Col. Winthai said Narin will be held at an unspecified location for interrogation for seven days in accordance with provisions issued under Article 44 of the interim institution, which allows the military to search properties and detain individuals without court warrants, among other powers.

According to the spokesperson, Narin posted a threat on his Facebook account on 10 April that he was planning to stage attacks in Surat Thani province to express his opposition to the junta.

"Tonight, bring it on in Surat," Narin allegedly wrote in the Facebook post, which has been widely shared on social media, "Who's with me? Let's destroy them. #opposethecoup #opposeArticle44"

On the night of 10 April a car bomb exploded at the basement parking lot of Central Festival Samui shopping mall, which locates on Surat Thani's Samui island. The blast reportedly injured seven people, including a 12-year-old Italian girl, according to rescue workers.

Read More: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1428915430

xkhaosod.png.pagespeed.ic.gwqZZgTvOahf8b
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-13

Interesting post.On Thai Visa political discussions it is taken for granted that the use of violence is to be deplored and whichever side uses excessive force effectively loses the argument.I confess this is also my position.

And yet is it historically justified? If there is a regime that is totally lacking in legitimacy, speaks only for a privileged minority and is incompetent and arrogant - perhaps some judicious violence can be understood if not endorsed.

Pray explain "judicious violence'. It that the same as 'judicial bias' ?

No it has nothing to do with that.It means that if there is a illegitimate and authoritarian power in place which has criminally seized power and cannot be ejected through normal electoral means, a violent solution would be distressing but not necessarily the greatest disaster that mankind has experienced.

• Like 1

No it has nothing to do with that.It means that if there is a illegitimate and authoritarian power in place which has criminally seized power and cannot be ejected through normal electoral means, a violent solution would be distressing but not necessarily the greatest disaster that mankind has experienced.

What is the greatest disaster that mankind has experienced? (The atomic bomb in WW II?)

No, it would not necessarily be the greatest disaster that mankind has experienced, but it would be unacceptably wicked to maim or cause the death of any one, intentionally or not. The bombing could easily have lead to someone being injured or killed, albeit it appears that the perps may have tried to avoid this, in this particular instance. There is no good argument for Terrorism - it is evil.

• Like 1

I understand the frustrations of some Thais against this and constant elitist regimes meddling and interfering. Thaksin is not the answer though, they need to turn away from him and these bombings are just giving more reasons for the ruling powers that be to stay there.

Look at your Ghandis and MLKs. They fought oppresion in their nations and did it the right way and made significant changes, sure it wasn't all smooth and violence was born out of tensions, but these current actions aren't the way forward. Come together as a mass of people to show your displeasure. If the army violently crackdown on you then the world will see it.

• Like 1

I guess that we are lucky that Thailand has a legitimate government in place now with elections on the horizon. So violence and terrorism is totally unjustified. I don't see anyway to justify exploding a car bomb in a shopping center under any circumstances - unless it was to blow up a Starbucks of course (not really).

His passport was returned in about October, a few months after the election and during the floods when the department was closed. It wasn't a diplomatic passport.

As an ex-PM he is legally entitled to hold a diplomatic passport for the rest of his life.

As a ego-maniac and raging psychopath, he will feel entitled to a diplomatic passport.

As a micro-managing puppet master, who instructed a department over which he had total control over to print him a passport, how could it be he got the FM, his cousin, to hand deliver abroad, during the worst floods in living memory, an ordinary passport?

The Thaksin I know and love, would have given himself one with all the bells and whistles.

"...Military officers have detained a Redshirt activist on suspicion of plotting the car bomb and arson attack in the southern province of Surat Thani last Friday..."

How convenient.

By the time the elections come the "Reds Shirts" will be so disparaged and discredited there will be no opposition from them.

"...Military officers have detained a Redshirt activist on suspicion of plotting the car bomb and arson attack "

So we can expect a confession any day now after the proper interrogation procedures have been applied. In its outright subversion of the Thai people's rights and liberties, the Junta has no legitimacy to conduct any credible criminal investigation nor try suspects.

"...Military officers have detained a Redshirt activist on suspicion of plotting the car bomb and arson attack "

So we can expect a confession any day now after the proper interrogation procedures have been applied. In its outright subversion of the Thai people's rights and liberties, the Junta has no legitimacy to conduct any credible criminal investigation nor try suspects.