Thai Tourism Ministry: Samui explosion no effect on tourism

webfact

Hmmm....this seems to be contradicted by this recent article "The atmosphere in Koh Samui in Surat Thani was lacklustre yesterday. Hotel operators said the car bomb on Friday night had had a negative impact on business."

• Like 1

From the OP:

BANGKOK, 13 April 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has reported that no foreign tourist has cancelled trips to Thailand despite a car bomb explosion on the island of Samui on Saturday. Security at all hotels in Samui has been tight.

They're in for a wake up call if the EU school holiday trade (20 Jul-05 Sep or thereabouts) fails to materialize...

Edited by evadgib

From the OP:

BANGKOK, 13 April 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has reported that no foreign tourist has cancelled trips to Thailand despite a car bomb explosion on the island of Samui on Saturday. Security at all hotels in Samui has been tight.

They're in for a wake up call if the EU school holiday trade (20 Jul-05 Sep or thereabouts) fails to materialize...

Oh no my dear. As we type, they are already preparing a graph to show, why the school holidays were exceptionally successful this year:post-218648-0-38561500-1428902676_thumb.

• Like 2

According to these Numbskulls tourism wouldn't be affected if a Nuclear Bomb atomised half of Thailand. I'm sure there must be a stored dossier of pre-prepared denials for absolutely anything that happens which automatically spring to the surface on a daily basis as required.

One day this country will become aware that there is a 'real world' where people face facts through logical thinking. However; unless someone comes up with a cure for old age death nobody on this forum will live long enough to see that day !

The poor lady Minister of Tourism living in perfect ignorant bliss as no bad news can penetrate the walls of her ivory tower.

Maybe the lack of penetration is her problem..........................rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

The poor lady Minister of Tourism living in perfect ignorant bliss as no bad news can penetrate the walls of her ivory tower.

Maybe the lack of penetration is her problem..........................rolleyes.gif

Well you have seen her !

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know, Kate Upton has definitely not cancelled any plan to come round to my place for the weekend.

Great, she is finally going to leave my place after being here all week .. though I would never get rid of her

No cancelled trips to LoS ! An immediate, totally expected and equally unbelievable statement from someone not noted for the accuracy of her comments and just how could she be so definite in such a short time. ?

What about tourists already in the country who planned to visit Samui and have changed their mind or those already there who have / are cutting their stay on the island short ? If there are it will either be ignored or denied as nothing ever affects tourism.

Surprise, Surprise tourism is expanding and on target for arrivals ! What else could it be ?

I agree it is stupid to make that statement, but TIT and they are the TTM. They may be able to monitor flights cancelled, but how well? Additionally, since the airlines are not likely to reimburse any tickets bought, what is someone to do? Most will still come to Thailand and simply avoid Samui. It's not so bad that the TTM makes those sorts of statements, what bothers me is they must think we are dumb enough to believe them.

What is this obsession Thailand has with Tourism?.....It obviously depends on it for money, but day after day, week after week, daily statements on tourism....it's like it is the beginning and end of life as we know it.

It is simply Thailand's insecurity regarding how they view their 'international image'. They have to convince themselves that everyone loves them. I'm not being facetious as I honestly believe this.

It's even more important now the Generals are in charge.

No tourists don't care when there is some bombing.....Syria will the top tourist destination this year...

Does anyone have statistics on how USA shootings affect tourism? French grocery store shootings? Australian restaurant shootings? German airline travel? Why would tourists be so concerned over a very isolated incident of violence in Thailand? What makes it so different from all other countries? Everyone seems to believe Thai tourism will completely disappear, first protests, then street shootings, then a military coup, then the occasional unrest in isolated incidents. I sat in a restaurant in Bahrain, and CNN was showing the Saudi army rolling in, telling everyone that the country was in total mayhem. Eating our meal and enjoying a cocktail while watching this all on CNN supposedly taking place in our vicinity. Anyone with any intelligence realizes incidents in Thailand are localized. It is a large country The entire sky is not falling.