Nan - a Quick Blast

seedy

Went up last week.

118 - 120 - 103 - 101

Quick coffee, then 1091 - 1251 - 1021 - AH2 - Phayao

Nice lunch beside the lake, home

Minimal construction where 1251 turns off, and as it is the end of the dry season watch out for piles of bamboo leaves in the lee of corners,

Lots of new asphalt, minimal traffic after Nan. Great trip.

• Like 1

Is the 101 from Rong Kwang to Nan completely finished ?

I'm asking cause I have to go to immigration next month , and if they are still working on it , I'll take the mini van.

While you're at it : is construction on the 103 (Rong kwang crossroad to Lampang ) , finished?

Did they widen the road in the little mountains too ? (on the 103)

Don't remember any construction other than what I mentioned above. If so it is minimal.

103 to Lampang ? Road numbers wrong I think.

103 still narrow and twisty - just how it should be for a bike !

by Frank Zappa

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

• Like 1

Harley!

Right?

Seedy bought a Harley is my guess.

Doubtful. Don't think a Harley can do more than 300 kms a day, haha.

I disagree.

Do the math.

If one left at 1 AM and rode until a noon lunch, [11hr; 544km.]

one would have to average <50kph.

That is doable on a Harley or a PCX.

You forgot to account for the time it would have sat broken (1hr per each 1 hrs of riding at the most) on the shoulder waiting for his support vehicle to arrive (an old 'Yota Hilux with a greasemonkey inside).

So HD would have to be riding at 100 kmh. Still doable but with a stretch. ;)

Harley!

Right?

Seedy bought a Harley is my guess.

I disagree.

Do the math.

You forgot to account for the time it would have sat broken (1hr per each 1 hrs of riding at the most) on the shoulder waiting for his support vehicle to arrive (an old 'Yota Hilux with a greasemonkey inside).

So HD would have to be riding at 100 kmh. Still doable but with a stretch. wink.png

Clearly some nonsense posts here and non HD owners themselves.

My ex HD Road King 2002 was the most comfortable bike I ever owned, build for the US highways, you keep going and going and you want to keep going. The foot boards enable you to move your feet around, the seat is very wide, engine rubber mounted, snapped the screen on when doing touring.

130km/h all day long easily, some do more, often rode 600km in one day going up to my wife's house up in Isaan.

Bloody hell man, I miss it but the V is okay for now and is a fine bike in it's own right and feels very nippy compared to the very heavy RK.

And it never broke down, the HD's are more reliable than a Ducati man.wink.png

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2

I disagree.

Do the math.

So HD would have to be riding at 100 kmh. Still doable but with a stretch. wink.png

Clearly some nonsense posts here and non HD owners themselves.

My ex HD Road King 2002 was the most comfortable bike I ever owned, build for the US highways, you keep going and going and you want to keep going. The foot boards enable you to move your feet around, the seat is very wide, engine rubber mounted, snapped the screen on when doing touring.

130km/h all day long easily, some do more, often rode 600km in one day going up to my wife's house up in Isaan.

Bloody hell man, I miss it but the V is okay for now and is a fine bike in it's own right and feels very nippy compared to the very heavy RK.

And it never broke down, the HD's are more reliable than a Ducati man.wink.png

Haha. Good comeback Guzzi. You do realise that my post was tongue in cheek right? thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7rcL3

• Like 1

Haha. Good comeback Guzzi. You do realise that my post was tongue in cheek right? thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7rcL3

As was mine. wink.png

Most of HD riders are excessively defensive and good to poke for a good fun.

Yes correct he-he. Well my new V650 at just over 300k baht is much better value for money.

I sold the HD after 3 years for 650k baht so double price for an already relatively old bike.

HD ownership is a lifestyle as much as owning a bike and I can live without the lifestyle since honestly the V is more fun to ride and I always ride solo now.

I still dreaming of having a Sporster 1200 in the garage just for fun, but it's just a pipe dream, too expensive man, it cost as much as a new mid sized car.

• Like 1

Whatever bike it was, imo it can hardly be a shame having ridden it. But on the other hand its not that much important what it was.

Then why not tell us?

I know what you ride, most here know what I ride and I know what most road other regular posters here ride. What I don't know is what our beloved forum moderator of the bikes forum rides, is it some kind of big secret?

I'd say the smaller, the more respect.

I love reading trip reports of guys on Honda Waves and Cub-90's. Doing distances that riders on their polished HD cruisers with matching saddlebags only look at while having a starbucks on their monthly 100km ride to the gas station.

I love reading trip reports of guys on Honda Waves and Cub-90's. Doing distances that riders on their polished HD cruisers with matching saddlebags only look at while having a starbucks on their monthly 100km ride to the gas station.

You misunderstand. Most don't care what others ride, be it a Honda Wave or PCX or liter bikes. I have a PCX on which I've done a 600 km journey in one day. It was fine, had a sore butt but I'm unlikely to do such distances again on the PCX due to having bigger bikes.

However, seedy managed a 500 km+ ride before lunch on twisties (not highways mind you) so some of us are just curious as to what monster machine he was riding, that's all. I want one as well, haha.

You misunderstand.

I didn't misunderstand anything as my comment was not in reply to anyone's.

Just a general put it out there comment. :D

You see a good few guys doing round the world trips on Honda 90's etc. I think it's great.... No BS. No My bike's got 150hp and 5 different modes of ABS. No hurt little egos when some overtakes them and beats them to a corner. Generally real riders, no posing, no ego, just simple enjoyment.

• Like 1

You misunderstand.

Just a general put it out there comment. biggrin.png

You see a good few guys doing round the world trips on Honda 90's etc. I think it's great.... No BS. No My bike's got 150hp and 5 different modes of ABS. No hurt little egos when some overtakes them and beats them to a corner. Generally real riders, no posing, no ego, just simple enjoyment.

I see. Noted and understood.

Except that guys going round the world on C90's and all are not about the riding but the adventuring. One could go all around the world on foot, on a bicycle, public transportation or bikes - the possibilities are endless. I could (although I never will) walk the same route that seedy did to Nan and back. It would take me a darn sight longer of course and I'll probably expire of boredom before completion.

For some, the fun in biking is hitting the twisties (which is what North Thailand is all about). I would enjoy doing the MHS loop on my PCX; I would enjoy it 10 times more on my Versys / Ninja just because. I would hate riding to Korat from Bkk on my PCX (with a top speed of 110 kmh); I would hate it less on my Ninja because I can cover the distance in much less time.

Fundamentally, this is one of the problems with TV. There is a biking forum but it's too general. You have sportsbikes riders who gets their thrills at high speeds sharing the same space with riders who will not exceed 80 kph. This is a complete mismatch of course but due to a lack of alternative suitable (ie English) forums, lots of riders converged on here. Luckily, things have changed in the last couple of months. A couple of English speaking forums have sprouted up recently and the majority of the serious riders have migrated over. I still post here because there is still an abundance of knowledge to be gleaned.

• Like 2

Whatever bike it was, imo it can hardly be a shame having ridden it. But on the other hand its not that much important what it was.

Then why not tell us?

I know what you ride, most here know what I ride and I know what most road other regular posters here ride. What I don't know is what our beloved forum moderator of the bikes forum rides, is it some kind of big secret?

P C X

You misunderstand.

Except that guys going round the world on C90's and all are not about the riding but the adventuring. One could go all around the world on foot, on a bicycle, public transportation or bikes - the possibilities are endless. I could (although I never will) walk the same route that seedy did to Nan and back. It would take me a darn sight longer of course and I'll probably expire of boredom before completion.

For some, the fun in biking is hitting the twisties (which is what North Thailand is all about). I would enjoy doing the MHS loop on my PCX; I would enjoy it 10 times more on my Versys / Ninja just because. I would hate riding to Korat from Bkk on my PCX (with a top speed of 110 kmh); I would hate it less on my Ninja because I can cover the distance in much less time.

Fundamentally, this is one of the problems with TV. There is a biking forum but it's too general. You have sportsbikes riders who gets their thrills at high speeds sharing the same space with riders who will not exceed 80 kph. This is a complete mismatch of course but due to a lack of alternative suitable (ie English) forums, lots of riders converged on here. Luckily, things have changed in the last couple of months. A couple of English speaking forums have sprouted up recently and the majority of the serious riders have migrated over. I still post here because there is still an abundance of knowledge to be gleaned.

ring, ring, its 04:54 am, troll alarm... coffee1.gif

However, seedy managed a 500 km+ ride before lunch on twisties (not highways mind you) so some of us are just curious as to what monster machine he was riding, that's all. I want one as well, haha.

Must be heavily modded Y2K Superbike with wings or something...

ring, ring, its 04:54 am, troll alarm... coffee1.gif

????

I've heard great things about Nan. I'd like to take a trip up there myself; my wife's grandmother lives there and that would be a great excuse to get up in the hills if I can just find the time to go.

I'm coming from Bangkok so I'd probably want to break the ride up a bit. Do you think two days would be ok on a CBR300 riding with a pillion? Alternately, if I can get my wife's family to go at the same time so I can throw her in the car and ride solo, how long do you think it would take?

It would be cool if Seedy could give some more details (good places to stop, type of bike, whether or not he had a passenger etc.) or better yet pictures.