Bangkok to Angeles city Philippines. Advice needed.

I am still thinking of going to Angeles this year.

Have never gone there via Bangkok and need some advice please. I have not been to Angeles since 2008 so looking for some up to date information.

What is the best airline to fly with? Should i buy a return ticket or one way?

Once I get to Manila is it best to get a bus to Angeles or arrange a hotel pick up?

Anything else I need to consider prior to and during my trip?

Any helpful advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Its all one way flights on low cost airlines. You buy one flight there and one flight back. Go on one airline, come back on a different one if its cheaper. Into Clark back from Manila if that suits. I went to Angeles in 97. i would rank it as one of the worst places i have been in the whole world.

Two legs on Air Asia is cheapest, BKK-KUL and KUL-CRK, but you'll have to overnight in KUL to catch the morning KUL-CRK leg. There are no longer any direct BKK-CRK flights, due I suspect to a surprising lack of traffic, plus probably more relevantly, the inevitable corruption at the CRK end; almost no routes last more than a few months flying into/out of Clark.

Edited by asdecas

Hi Mate-I went to Angeles two years ago-(big mistake-came back early)but more to the point-Angeles is far from manila-I did it by bus but it was a two hour hassle to find the right bus and over two hours dreadful ride on a horrid old and packed out bus -----SO BETTER TO FLY DIRECTLY TO CLARK AIRPORT if you can.Manilla has nothing to offer and is a scary place compared to BKK or Thailand in general.I would never go back to Phillipines. Angeles is better but nothing much there,anyway that is all up to you.

Hi guys. I am flying down from Udon to Bkk.

Then on to Philippines but still looking at the best options.

So far it seems Tiger to Singapore and then to is the best option if I can get the 8 hours and 55 minute deal.

Still looking for a wingman to accompany me as well.

I have been to Angeles 19 times over the years. But due to time and other issues have not been back since 2008.

I have been to the Philippines several times and visiting my friend living in Subic Bay. Go BKK to Clark (of course) which is a 3 hour flying trip...

so forget all this shit with overnight....I dont get that kind of suggestions actually.

I have flown all the time with CEBU PACIFIC and just check and checking prices you will get great promos..Last time I paid both ways some 9,500 baht...

Glegolo

So far it seems Tiger to Singapore and then to is the best option if I can get the 8 hours and 55 minute deal.

I have been to Angeles 19 times over the years. But due to time and other issues have not been back since 2008.[/quote

Bangkok to Angeles

Try Bangkok to Manila on Kuwait Airlines (about 7k baht.return)

Or Cebu Pacific air ( sometimes with promotional price as cheap as 3k baht return)

From manila you can take a bus (about 600 pesos or less)

Google manila to angeles by bus , and you'll find various options with details .Angeles can be a lot of fun.Have a gr8 trip

I fly there every month. Cheapest is now Philippine airlines to Manila ( around 9kThb return, incl.20kg baggage, free meal, free seat etc...) For hassle free transfer get a hotel pick up organised from AC hotel ( 2,700 Php) or book a room overnight in Manila at Southern Cross hotel in Ermita and avail of their transfer to AC following day if your flight comes in after mid-day or go there by taxi from airport for straight transfer if morning flight. 600 Php Manila to AC. Private bus. Great.

No more flights from Bkk to Clark. You have no choice but go to Manila anyway. If no return ticket you will be made buy one at Suvarnabhumi as NO airline will take you to Phils without one , no matter the route. Enjoy it... Still a lot of fun there.

It's not that Angeles is that far from Manila; it's not. Particularly nowadays with NLEX (the North Luzon Expressway). Traffic is what can make it so painful. If you know your way around Manila, and don't have a lot of luggage, it's possible to get a taxi to the mini-van terminal (I think it's called "North Terminal", but not sure...), and then ride the mini-van up to Angeles. Cheap. Now the thing is, they leave when they're filled - and they will fill them! So try to grab a seat you can live with, and maybe pay for two seats (I forget the cost - but it's cheap) - one for you, one for your bag. If you're faced with a van that's already almost full, just hang back and be first in line for the next one.

Avoid rush hours! (Which probably should be translated to almost anything during daytime working hours, MON-FRI.) Maybe easier said than done, but that's the deal-breaker in all this.

Oh, and have they finished the road construction at NAIA yet? It was so bad back over the holidays that taxis simply weren't picking up there. If that's still the case, they have a sort of shuttle bus (a regular coach) running from the airport (same area where the taxis pick up) that'll get you out of the NAIA area and to a place where you catch a regular taxi to that mini-van terminal. But even for this short leg, if you're not traveling light, it'll be painful cause they'll fill every seat and the center aisle.

All this predicated on traveling LIGHT. If you've got an oversized bag or multiple bags/spouse/kids, just pay the money and take one of the stopover flights to Clark.

You might think about negotiating a taxi all the way to Angeles. The driver will probably want something well north of 2000PHP. If you can find one that lives up around there, they may accept a fare closer to the 2000P level to be able to spend the night at home.

If comfort is more important than cost or schedule, then you're better off with the stopover flight thru Singapore or wherever.

Frankly, Angeles ain't what it used to be. And the cancellation of direct flights between Bangkok & Clark makes it all-day travel and far more expensive than it used to be. But if you gotta' go, you gotta' go. smile.png

Edited by hawker9000

There are private company's who send out cars/vans. One I used sometimes is http://www.margaritastation.com/oets.html , there might be some cheaper around but it was quite easy process with them. They might ask you to confirm a couple of times (e-mail) as there were some "no shown".

I didn't really find something interesting Bangkok - Clark in the past, maybe there are better connections now. AFAIK, Clark airport has some taxi scam going on, means that hotel pickups might be not possible, drop off are ok, again might be out of date information.

Philippine Airlines: around 10,000 baht round trip to Manila, 3h30 flying time.
From Airport take a taxi for ~150 pesos to bus terminal of Victory Liner in Pasay, Manila.
From there to Dau (nearest bus terminal near Angeles, just 2 k) it will cost you maybe 200 peso... I can' remember exactly how much, but cheap.
Don't go Friday and the weekend: buses are crowded or not available anymore, because lots of people go home for the weekend.

Try to arrive in Manila around or before noon, so you will avoid rush hour in Manila after 4pm.

Angeles City (Balibago) is a shit place, dirty, lots of beggars, expensive hotels, dirty, polluted air, corrupt police, trying to trick you.... just google.

Cebu Pacific AIr is flying via SGP, takes you all day.

I went to Manila last July booked reyrn CEBU PACIFIC...absolutely fine..1 big big problem though is the grid locked traffic ...took me 2hrs to get to my accomodation in Makita central city location....so if you can arrive non peak hrs like early am .

I have been to Angeles 19 times over the years. But due to time and other issues have not been back since 2008.[/quote

Bangkok to Angeles

Try Bangkok to Manila on Kuwait Airlines (about 7k baht.return)

Or Cebu Pacific air ( sometimes with promotional price as cheap as 3k baht return)

From manila you can take a bus (about 600 pesos or less)

Google manila to angeles by bus , and you'll find various options with details .Angeles can be a lot of fun.Have a gr8 trip

First thing is even if you buy one way tickets you need to have a ticket out of the country when you check in at Bangkok. I know most countries have that rule but PI is one that enforces it all the time.

Since there are no flights direct from Bangkok to Clark these days I would seriously look at going with a major airline into Manila. For the convenience, timings, no add ons for food, baggage, using a credit card etc it can be well worth it.

Airport pick up from Manila to your hotel in AC is currently around PHP 3000 if you arrange it with the hotel in advance. Safer, simpler and cheaper that trying to cut a deal at the airport.

Taking the public bus is OK if you fly Cebu Pacific as you arrive early enough in the morning to beat the traffic. That said I don't need the hastle so would still get picked up by my hotel.

If you haven't been since 2008 you will see many changes, most not for the better. That said it can still be a great place for a short visit especially as you will already know your way around.

I have been to the Philippines several times and visiting my friend living in Subic Bay. Go BKK to Clark (of course) which is a 3 hour flying trip...

so forget all this shit with overnight....I dont get that kind of suggestions actually.

I have flown all the time with CEBU PACIFIC and just check and checking prices you will get great promos..Last time I paid both ways some 9,500 baht...

Glegolo

like others have said there isnt a direct flight from bkk to clark

Glegolo

like others have said there isnt a direct flight from bkk to clark

There used to be, but not anymore. Not since about the July timeframe last year.

How things have changed....

You use to be able to fly on SeAir direct Bangkok to Clark for 3000-4000 each way.

Flew many times with Cebu Pacific, for same money, yes.. time have changed

quite a lot...

I go to Angeles a couple times a year. Since they stopped the BKK to CRK route on Tiger I've been taking Philippine Airlines to Manila then a taxi to the Swagman Hotel in Ermita (near the US Embassy) and then going by "Fly the Bus" from the Swagman hotel to Angeles. I'm going in a couple weeks and the ticket cost me $300. I went 6 months ago and the ticket was only $225. The taxi from the airport to the Swagman should be less than $10. It's cheapest to get a taxi by going upstairs at the Manila airport to the departures area and hailing a taxi that has just dropped someone off. The taxis at the arrival area are rip-offs and charge way too much. The "Fly the Bus" from Swagman to Angeles leaves 3 times a day -- 11:30 AM, 3:30 PM and 8:30 PM. The bus costs about $15 and takes about 2 hours.

http://www.swaggy.com/fly-the-bus/

To those suggesting flying with Cebu Pacific, a quick note:

I have booked with Cebu on their specials twice in the past 2 years. I have planned flights from AKL to BKK and then BKK to CRK.

Each time. Cebu have rescheduled me without consultation to fly to (a)noy(a)noy Aquino in Manila (rated in the top 5 worst airports in the world, for good reason) with no further transport to Clark/Angeles. I have had a refund in both cases but it has meant having holidays in Thailand longer than I would have liked - I am not a fan of Manila and use Clark to access Baggiou.

Please understand that when booking with Cebu to Clark, it is highly likely that you will be re-routed to an airport that is 2 hours by bus to your destination with no transport to your intended destination - they are cheap, but you are gambling your trip over a few thousand baht.

Two legs on Air Asia is cheapest, BKK-KUL and KUL-CRK, but you'll have to overnight in KUL to catch the morning KUL-CRK leg. There are no longer any direct BKK-CRK flights, due I suspect to a surprising lack of traffic, plus probably more relevantly, the inevitable corruption at the CRK end; almost no routes last more than a few months flying into/out of Clark.

I flew into and out of CRK direct from BKK about 4 years ago. It was one heck of a headache to get back to CRK from Manila, and the traffic jams really slowed things down. got there on one trip just as the gate was about to close.

I'd only go to MNL if I went to the Philippines again.

CEBU air seemed very efficient, but I only used them for domestic flights.

Used to be a direct flight...not any more. Stop in singapore.

Manila is more that you care to handle..but if you end up there...make reservations at the Swagman hotel...they can pick you up at the airport. You can stay overnight and get a Swagman bus to Angeles in the morning. I spent 19 years there....believe me...avoid Manila the best you can.

Angeles will be a disappointment compared to Pattaya.

My son lived in Angeles..I stayed there every weekend..but lived in Subic.

You would enjoy Subic (Barrio Barretto...a bit more)...I know tons of people there.

Go to the Generals Command Post and tell don that mikey thailand sent you.

Very depressing read. It has been years since I've been, probably around 2011. Angeles wasn't bad but you had to know where not to go and when. I really liked Subic but would be rather hesitant these days as the Marines/Swabbies have moved back in. Killing ladyboys isn't good for local relations. As a "former" USMC (Commandant says we are now always) I might not be too welcome and would probably only go with somebody that knew the ground.

1. Be aware that, as others have said, you CANNOT travel inbound to the Philippines on a one-way ticket from Bangkok, or anywhere in Asia. Check in will demand to see a ticket out and if you don't have one, the cost at the airport is prohibitive.

2. There are currently NO direct flights BKK-CRK, though there is talk that one or two airlines may return. As I said in an earlier post, very few airlines last long going into CRK: the level of corruption, fees demanded, inconvenience is such that it is not worthwhile in the long term

3. Your logical alternative is to fly BKK-MNL. There are specials direct on PAL, Cebu Pacific, Kuwait sometimes. From MNL, you have a few alternatives to get to AC:

a. Taxi, cost 2-3k Pesos

b. Take a taxi to one of the bus terminals around EDSA that serve AC - Victory Liner or Five Star are good - 230P for the 2-3 hour trip

c. Take the Swagman or Southern Cross bus - more expensive but farang friendly, with a pitstop on the way - 600P-ish.

4. AC is currently experiencing a crackdown - bar raids, arbitrary arrest and detention of staff, even hassle of customers on occasion, plus if you get swept up, it could cost you tens or even hundreds of thousands in Pesos to the venal police. Also, bag snatching, gangs of kids pickpocketing etc make for a place where you need to watch your step.

You can have a good time there but be aware at all times and do not put yourself in a vulnerable situation, it is not as safe as the bar areas in Bangkok.

Edited by asdecas

I fly there every month. Cheapest is now Philippine airlines to Manila ( around 9kThb return, incl.20kg baggage, free meal, free seat etc...) For hassle free transfer get a hotel pick up organised from AC hotel ( 2,700 Php) or book a room overnight in Manila at Southern Cross hotel in Ermita and avail of their transfer to AC following day if your flight comes in after mid-day or go there by taxi from airport for straight transfer if morning flight. 600 Php Manila to AC. Private bus. Great.

No more flights from Bkk to Clark. You have no choice but go to Manila anyway. If no return ticket you will be made buy one at Suvarnabhumi as NO airline will take you to Phils without one , no matter the route. Enjoy it... Still a lot of fun there.

Wow, you get a 'free' seat? That will save standing up on the plane for 3 hours! Could have sworn you pay for the seat on booking....silly me.