Reconditioned car engines - any comments appreciated

Another thing is it may not be the engine at all. It could be something like the CV joints etc.

My feeling is that if there is not smoke there is little need to rebuild. Maybe just tappet adjustment or whatever they do for that now and a new timing belt. Get someone who knows something about cars to help. If the worst comes to the worst if you pretend it is a Transam a certain TV member would help:)

Actually I've heard tell that timing belts since 19XX are unbreakable.

Mine's well over mileage I got my favourite mechanic to ease back the cover and give it a check out he said no trace of wear so far.

Timing belts rarely show any traces of ware until they eventually snap!

Then your in for a very expensive repair.

The only way to check a timing belt is to fully remove it and inspect it tooth for tooth

your mechanic couldn't have been able to check it properly by easing back the cover.

The ware rate of a timing belt is gradual by the reduction of thickness to the teeth they

are not unbreakable.

post-63109-0-11127800-1429076882_thumb.j

post-63109-0-33306900-1429076852_thumb.j

Edited by sotsira

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This OP is very lucky. He got good solid advice from many TVF members. I agree with so many suggestions * don't do a swap to an unknown engine, * noise is probably more like a water pump or alternator, * probably no need to touch the gearbox.

I would be curious to know how many km are on this engine. A Honda is usually good for three or four hundred km before kaput. And this vehicle sounds like it has had good care.

It's 15 years old, 380K on the clock, bought it new, it's been taken care of like a baby. From maybe 16 years old my Thai son became interested and took over twice a week checks of water, oil, battery water etc, and he took over booking it in for oil changes, pointing out anything he thought was noisy / not right, etc.

The two drive 'bars' (not sure of the right word) from gear box to front wheels have been replaced twice, last time just 3 months ago, wheel bearings replaced about 18 months back. Car was re-sprayed in professional paint shop just six months ago. Interior still in excellent condition.

A bit too much detail but about 8 months back I did some consulting work for the Honda procurement department, they told me that after the event they rate all models in terms of success for revenue, and for engineering sustainability, success of new engineering innovations, etc. I guess all car companies do the same.

They shared that they rate the Honda Civic 3 door as their 2nd best ever model.

Again I thank all TV members for lots of good comments and advice.

One CM TV member (thanks again) has got me focused and ready to visit a specific recommended mechanic shop in CM coming soon.

I had a rebuilt engine put in my Nisson Sunny last year after about 200,000 + miles on the original engine. My son ran the car without oil and the original engine destroyed itself. The rebuilt engine also came with a rebuilt transmission. So both the original engine and transmission were changed out. Total cost was 30,000 baht. The engine is 1.8 liters. I am pleased to say that the rebuilt engine and transmission feel much better than the original engine and transmission did, before the car was run without oil. Also, the shop that changed out the engine did all the paper work with the LTD and I didn't have to do a thing. I even got to keep the old engine and transmission and sold it as scrap and got 4,000 baht for them. Overall, I am quite pleased with the result.

• Like 2