Extend stay at immigration or pay overstay at airport?

Made a bit of a miscalculation on my number of Days stay in Thailand.

I have a single entry tourist visa which will give me 60 Days , but according to my air ticket and checking on a calendar I will be either 61 or 62 Days in country. I arrive at Bangkok airport on 9th July and depart from same airport on 8th Sept.

Is it best to extend for 30 days at 1,900Baht at probably Phuket Immigration office or just turn up at the airport and pay the overstay fine.?

I personally might take the risk of a one day overstay at the airport. Better not, it's just a 'maybe'.

With a two days overstay, I'd prefer the legal option for sure. The difference just will be a 900 Baht and no troubles or worries when departing.

I recommend the "legal" way. A bit of a pain but I having done one visa overstay myself, I point out that when you get fined for an overstay, you do fill out paperwork, and eventually probably get into some database. Not a big deal, and very routine, but as information gets passed around, and vagueness creeps in, I think it is better to not have any sort of "record". I can imagine some summary report existing somewhere in the future that just says or flags "immigration incident or issue", with no details. Possible? Up to you.

And as has been pointed out, the cost difference is only 900 baht. I recommend that for the peace of mind and ease of passing through the airport. One year I bought at the time the 7 day extension for a similar reason as you. I just couldn't get my Overseas flights and USA flights to line up right and it was better for me to buy the extension and eat a few days

• Like 1

OP - would the terms of your air ticket enable you to rebook your return flight for 2 days earlier with minimum financial penalty (i.e. less than 1,900 THB if otherwise going down the "legal" route)?

Edited by OJAS

If more than one day, then go the legal way

Thanks for all your helpful replies , will now either go down the visa extension route or alternatively do a side trip to another Country for a few Days

Yeh tricky one this, if less than 24hrs (1day) I would of just left it as the have a waiver of 24hrs so no fine or hassle at airport immigration.

2 days will cost you 1000baht.

Paying for extension will cost you 1900bt & time wasted to deal with it. obviously nice be legal as more roadside checks etc these days.

Yeh tricky one this, if less than 24hrs (1day) I would of just left it as the have a waiver of 24hrs so no fine or hassle at airport immigration.

2 days will cost you 1000baht.

Paying for extension will cost you 1900bt & time wasted to deal with it. obviously nice be legal as more roadside checks etc these days.

The amount of overstay is actually less than 24 hours ,as I arrive at around 19:30 in the evening and leave at 08:00 in the morning , but I believe they count these as whole Days.

I count your stay as 62days not 61 !

time for 24hr overstay don't run from when you arrive it runs on date.

I done it couple times when far better flight was next morning 9am, no hassle & immigration just scribbled small mark to state spotted overstay but no fine & I went through as usual . If you are only a day or less over then just run with it, no point giving them 1900bt for that ...

I've paid the fine for two days overstay at Savanabhumi Airport recently. Officer was ok, just said go to the overstay counter and do the paper work, pay the fine. That was my second infraction.

Dont do anything stupid to attract the attention of the police before you get to the Airport. A couple of days over is no big deal.

Your looking at spending 50 Bucks and stay legally, or possibly getting caught, spending a couple of nights in the Hard Rock Hotel, with other people you most likely don't normally associate with, perhaps missing your flight back home, people showing up at the airport and you are not their, as you can't call them to tell them your situation, being late from work without informing your boss, and the list goes on.

An Overstay is not just some formality that you pay a small fine at the ticket counter then proceed through Customs. You are pulled aside in full view of other passengers, questioned by Immigration Officers, warned, then after a small fine probably let go. Overstaying is against the Law in Thailand! Breaking the Law anywhere, but especially when you are travelling overseas, is not wise.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I count your stay as 62days not 61 !

time for 24hr overstay don't run from when you arrive it runs on date.

I done it couple times when far better flight was next morning 9am, no hassle & immigration just scribbled small mark to state spotted overstay but no fine & I went through as usual . If you are only a day or less over then just run with it, no point giving them 1900bt for that ...

Yes! I count 62 Days also as they count the day you arrive and also the day you leave.

The difference between the Extension and Overstay Fine is 900 Baht, and not 1,900 Baht. So we are talking Nickels and Dimes here.

You might have to use part of your holiday at the Immigration Office getting your Extension, but personally I would rather do this and have smooth sailing through the airport than being pulled aside and questioned then.

Don't be concerned with the overstay fine or saving 900 baht.

Be concerned about being arrested on an overstay before you get to the border. If you are arrested, and put through the deportation process you'll wish you'd got an extension!

People that get deported can get banned from re-entry.