Change of status from tourist to non-O

I have friends (65+) that have been coming to Samui for 3-4 months for over 10 years. They previously obtained Non-O visas from Brisbane consulate but as that is closed they are having problems getting the Non-O visas. They have been refused by Tasmania, Adelaide and Melbourne consulates.

They do not want to do a border run and my understanding is that if they have a single entry tourist visa they can:

1. get a 30 day extension at Nathon

2. do a change of status from the tourist visas to Non-O visas if they want to stay for longer than 90 days.

Can option 2 be done at Nathon and will they need any finacial proof of funds, income or any other documents/requirements.

If they have not left Australia yet they should get tourist visas. A single entry tourist visa gives a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. The could get 2 entry visas that would give them almost 6 months of stay by doing one border run to use the 2nd entry.

2. Samui immigration can longer do conversions to a non immigrant visa entry. They can only be done in Bangkok and it requires the financial proof needed to get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Your friends can certainly extend their initial 60 day stay which a tourist visa provides by 30 days at a cost of 1900 Bht .

They cannot a "do a conversion" or change of visa status for "staying longer than 90 days" Such changes of status are only done for very specific reasons and only (I believe) in Bangkok .

If your friends wish to stay longer they will have to obtain a new visa from a Thai consulate in a nearby country.

Edited by nzexpat