Filipino chokes to death in Sri Racha

Thaivisa News

Chon Buri:- A Filipino crewman of choked on breakfast on his a cargo ship off Sri Racha coast and died on the way to hospital Tuesday morning, police said.

Pol Lt Somkid Boonloi, an officer on duty of Sri Racha police station, was alerted by the Phayathai Sri Racha Hospital at 11 am that a foreigner had died while he was being transported from a cargo ship in Koh Si Chang Bay to the Sri Racha cost.

Police from the station rushed to the hospital to inspect the body of the Filipino worker, identified only as Francisco JR, 50.

Doctors told police that the man chocked to death. No trace of assaults was found on his body. Traces of vomited breakfast were seen on his face and neck.

His friends told police that Francisco worked on a large cargo ship that was anchored in the Koh Si Chang bay.

When they had breakfast, Francisco started to choke and vomit and could not breathe properly.

The ship called a speed boat to take Francisco to a hospital ashore but be died on the way before reaching the Jarin pier where an ambulance was waiting for him.

Police had rescuers of the Sawang Prateep Sri Racha Foundation deliver the body to Laem Chabang Hospital for an autopsy to establish the cause of death.

Police will later contact the Philippines embassy in Bangkok to arrange his family to pick up the body for religious service.

Many cargo ships come to the Sri Racha sea to unload and take up cargoes at the Sriracha Harbor), the first private international deep sea port in Thailand.

wow...call for a speedboat? I am no doctor by any means but did anyone try to clear his airways? smash him on the back? the heimlich? (is that still in fashion?) or open his trachea to let some air in? or try anything even to clear the obstruction? Jeez this is all high school first aid stuff. What about the master of the ship? or did they all just stand around and watch this poor fellow die without rendering assistance? So he was choking all the way from the ship to nearly the shore, and who knows how long previously, seems plenty of time to try something. Totally unnecessary death IMHO. RIP

• Like 1

wow...call for a speedboat? I am no doctor by any means but did anyone try to clear his airways? smash him on the back? the heimlich? (is that still in fashion?) or open his trachea to let some air in? or try anything even to clear the obstruction? Jeez this is all high school first aid stuff. What about the master of the ship? or did they all just stand around and watch this poor fellow die without rendering assistance? So he was choking all the way from the ship to nearly the shore, and who knows how long previously, seems plenty of time to try something. Totally unnecessary death IMHO. RIP

You are right. You are not a doctor by any means. You also have problems with reading. Nowhere in the OP does it say that any of the procedures you suggest were not carried out. But you just decided to jump to your own conclusions.

And if you knew anything about ships, you would know that First Aid is very well taught while undergoing training just to be on a ship. There will also be designated First Aiders on board.

A man died in this incident. Please show some respect

Seems like aabout 8 months ago the same thing happened on Chaiyapruuk Rd. in Jomtien. A Cambodian worker chocked on a piece of chicken. And the poor victim could probably have been saved if Thais knew how to do the Heimlick Maneuver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_thrusts

By the way, it is probably a good idea to know how to do the Heimlick maneuver on yourself, especially given that Thais apparently have no idea about it.

Your last sentence is condescending, possibly racist, and surely in bad taste. The Heimlich Maneouvre has to be taught, not just something you should know. I'll wager that most expats have never heard of it. Likewise, in UK, you could substitute the word " UK citizens" for Thai and it would be true there also

• Like 2

All ships should have 2-3 crewmen with first aid and CPR training. Back blows or the Heimlich maneuver may have saved this poor fellow.

In ships nowadays ALL the crew have some basic first aid training, a few usually have a more advanced first aid training and the Chief Officer can perform minor surgeries in an emergencies.This is an requirement from IMO http://www.imo.org/pages/home.aspx

• Like 1

"You are right. You are not a doctor by any means. You also have problems with reading. Nowhere in the OP does it say that any of the procedures you suggest were not carried out. But you just decided to jump to your own conclusions.

And if you knew anything about ships, you would know that First Aid is very well taught while undergoing training just to be on a ship. There will also be designated First Aiders on board.

A man died in this incident. Please show some respect"....... Actually mate I have no problem reading. By my use of the question mark I was posing questions that were not raised in the article and asking possibly had anything been done to help this guy. Not jumping to any conclusions. As for not knowing anything about ships you pillock, you know nothing about me. I have been at sea over 20 years, primarily in the offshore at times 300-350 nautical miles from shore undertaking seismic work. I know all about it. Where I am from, yep it is mandatory have at least a few first aiders, if not better trained people on board and I trust the people I sail with, with my life. Is that the case in Thailand and some other countries I have worked? not necessarily, no. As for first aid training being 'very well taught' just to be on a ship.. well that's just total <deleted>. When I was a deck boy we had a 8 hour first aid course nearly 20 years ago. THAT is the only first aid training I have ever received, any further training I have undertaken since then has been done by me. Not by any agent or shipping company I have ever worked for. So before you start accusing people you don't know of jumping to conclusions you might want to take a healthy spoonful of your own advice champ... Also I don't think at any time I showed any disrespect to the deceased nor would I especially a fellow seafarer.

• Like 2

Do they teach First Aid in Thailand?

RIP Man

Some people may well be able to do many things, but are reluctant to do so

due to finger pointing later on down the line in the offshore industry .!!!!!!

It’s a witch hunt environment now days , due to law suits and crap companies.

Not saying this was the case here, but could be a point.

We don’t know what happened or if he had any preexisting conditions .

So who knows.

But the ships master should know what was, and why ? he himself should have first aide experience , to a level to open the throat and let air in, so don’t know what went on.

Rip man.

Loved working with the Flipos, had so many laughs with them in the Metro club Aberdeen

23 years ago ,, before I went up to the real pubs in town.

"You are right. You are not a doctor by any means. You also have problems with reading. Nowhere in the OP does it say that any of the procedures you suggest were not carried out. But you just decided to jump to your own conclusions.And if you knew anything about ships, you would know that First Aid is very well taught while undergoing training just to be on a ship. There will also be designated First Aiders on board.A man died in this incident. Please show some respect"....... Actually mate I have no problem reading. By my use of the question mark I was posing questions that were not raised in the article and asking possibly had anything been done to help this guy. Not jumping to any conclusions. As for not knowing anything about ships you pillock, you know nothing about me. I have been at sea over 20 years, primarily in the offshore at times 300-350 nautical miles from shore undertaking seismic work. I know all about it. Where I am from, yep it is mandatory have at least a few first aiders, if not better trained people on board and I trust the people I sail with, with my life. Is that the case in Thailand and some other countries I have worked? not necessarily, no. As for first aid training being 'very well taught' just to be on a ship.. well that's just total <deleted>. When I was a deck boy we had a 8 hour first aid course nearly 20 years ago. THAT is the only first aid training I have ever received, any further training I have undertaken since then has been done by me. Not by any agent or shipping company I have ever worked for. So before you start accusing people you don't know of jumping to conclusions you might want to take a healthy spoonful of your own advice champ... Also I don't think at any time I showed any disrespect to the deceased nor would I especially a fellow seafarer.

Fair enough, Pugwash, but let me ask you a couple of questions.

When was the last time you sailed on a vessel which did not carry First Aiders?

When did you ever hear of a speedboat being called as the primary action? While people stood by?

Well mate, as I stated, I work in the offshore which could be one of the most highly regulated industries of all. Being an Aussie seafarer I am also subject to a raft of regulatory bodies. Not only IMO, SOLAS and the STCW conventions but AMSA and NOPSEMA as well and as I stated it is mandatory to have such trained crew on board. So, to answer your question again, I have never sailed on a vessel with out first aiders on board. AS I write this I am currently on a PSV working out of Indo and we have 24/7 choppers on stand by in case of emergency, some of the Indo vessels however are in the dark ages and still have young blokes on the back deck without correct PPE some with out boots. It is known that some flag states do what ever is necessary to get their vessels through surveys. Not all seafarers and vessels are trained to the same level. If you can't understand that in places like Asia and Africa that not all vessels and crew are up to world's best standard I can't explain it to you. Filipino's are excellent seaman don't know what happened in this particular case, though I am curious. Could be any number of reasons I don't wish to bore the TV membership so if you want anything else feel free to PM me. No need to be a smart arse either

• Like 1

Well mate, as I stated, I work in the offshore which could be one of the most highly regulated industries of all. Being an Aussie seafarer I am also subject to a raft of regulatory bodies. Not only IMO, SOLAS and the STCW conventions but AMSA and NOPSEMA as well and as I stated it is mandatory to have such trained crew on board. So, to answer your question again, I have never sailed on a vessel with out first aiders on board. AS I write this I am currently on a PSV working out of Indo and we have 24/7 choppers on stand by in case of emergency, some of the Indo vessels however are in the dark ages and still have young blokes on the back deck without correct PPE some with out boots. It is known that some flag states do what ever is necessary to get their vessels through surveys. Not all seafarers and vessels are trained to the same level. If you can't understand that in places like Asia and Africa that not all vessels and crew are up to world's best standard I can't explain it to you. Filipino's are excellent seaman don't know what happened in this particular case, though I am curious. Could be any number of reasons I don't wish to bore the TV membership so if you want anything else feel free to PM me. No need to be a smart arse either

h

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to be a smart arse, but your original post made me think you were trying to be one. My opinions are formed after 32 years at sea, including North Sea and Australian waters. Spent the last 10 years in Asian and African areas and I've never been anywhere in all my time where well trained first aiders weren't MANDATORY. I mean, come on, Heimlich ain't exactly rocket science, but you could very easily eff it up for the fellow if you did it wrong