Help Oil Leak Hilux Vigo

Today we noticed an oil leak under the wife's Vigo. It looked quite large. Since today and tomorrow all repair shops will be closed, I thought I might get your opinion of what may have happened and what kind of repair I should expect.

The car is a 2.7 Ltr. vvti Hilux Vigo. To me this looks like the oil is coming out of the filter, and maybe the filter is not closed properly. But I have no idea other than this wild guessing. I have attached two pics that may help identifying what happened. post-154134-0-19962900-1428996985_thumb.post-154134-0-01513300-1428996987_thumb.

I have a feeling it is something minor and would like to avoid the mechanic to "rebuilt" the engine.....

Looks like the filter is loose. If you put your hand at the rear/lower part of the filter, can you feel oil? It should be bone dry.

If so, give it a clean and then try and tighten it - grab it with a rag and see if it turns. If it's that loose that oil is weeping out of the seal, it should be loose enough to twist (clockwise) with your hands. It may only move 1/8 of a turn, but that may be enough to stop it leaking until you get it replaced.

Otherwise, it may have been over tightened and the seal has been crimped, allowing oil to escape.

Check your oil level and top up if you need to.

Any local garage can replace the filter for you, you don't need to go to an expensive dealer.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

If me I would loosen the filter a quarter turn then tighten. First clean the whole area of crap and oil..

Yep, good advice as always Trans. thumbsup.gif

You and I would probably pull the thing right off and make sure the seal is intact and the flange isn't damaged, clean it all thoroughly, and reassemble.

It amazes me that technicians (in all countries) are still capable of not seating a filter properly or making sure the drain plug is tight. I've always done all my own servicing but can recall dozens of stories from friends about this. I'd encourage everybody to check their filter and drain plug after being serviced.

• Like 2

I used to change my own oil and filter in the states as well in my job in the AF. Standard practice is to wet the seal with oil before installation and twist it on till tight and then 1/8 to 1/4 turn more. I have noticed that some mechanics here in country just twist it on without the moistened seal. Some over tighten the filter when installing. It might have happened to you. If it stills leaks, buy a new filter and moisten the seal and install.

• Like 1

Filter should never leak if put on properly, when was your last oil change ? I think you filter is loose and was not put on properly.

You need to make sure that the old gasket is not still on, sometimes it sticks and now you have double rubber gasket on. Sloppy service center work. if you can move filter with hand then hopefully just never tightened properly. Snug tight by hand then half turn by wrench.

Make sure not double gasket.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of oil leaking out not good. Make sure you top off oil before you drive could be dangerously low but you should have got an oil light on the dash. Check hand tight first then go from there. Can you see oil above the filter anywhere ? up by valve cover ?

is it common for a filter to start leaking after it's been on for awhile?

Not common at all, especially if it's been on for a while, if the filter is loose

or it's worked itself loose over time, then the cause could be a high oil

pressure problem, where the pressure builds up so much that the weakest

point becomes the filter seal to the engine block.

Not common at all, especially if it's been on for a while, if the filter is loose

"High oil pressure problem?" The fact that the oil, clearly coming from the filter, is black, just get a proper oil change with filter, then get your engine cleaned and you'll see that the problem's gone.

"High oil pressure problem?" The fact that the oil, clearly coming from the filter, is black, just get a proper oil change with filter, then get your engine cleaned and you'll see that the problem's gone.

I was responding to bkkjames question, high oil pressure would cause an oil filter to start leaking,it is not common but it can happen.

In the OP's case, it would depend on whether the oil and filter have been in for a while to make it uncommon for a filter to work itself loose, although the OP hasn't stated how long ago the filter was fitted.

It is also a fact that diesel engines turn their oil black soon after a fresh oil change.

Edited by sotsira
  • Like 1

This is what I thought, never seen or experienced a filter coming loose over time - seems to me like a failure of some kind but hopefully when the op gets it into the shop we'll find out.

In the 30yrs that i worked with cars i only came across one Ford Diesel engine that had

repetitive oil filter leaks, which after diagnosing, ended up being a stuck oil pressure relief

valve inside the oil pump housing.

The only other things that it could be is a blocked oil filter or a blocked oil gallery.

Unless the filter was recently replaced by an idiot who never tightened it up!

• Like 1

This is what I thought, never seen or experienced a filter coming loose over time - seems to me like a failure of some kind but hopefully when the op gets it into the shop we'll find out.

In the 30yrs that i worked with cars i only came across one Ford Diesel engine that had

repetitive oil filter leaks, which after diagnosing, ended up being a stuck oil pressure relief

The only other things that it could be is a blocked oil filter or a blocked oil gallery.

yes, unless I missed it I don't recall the OP saying he just had a recent oil change?

Looking at the oil/crud build up on the cross member it has been leaking oil for many months. As has been suggested, change oil & filter, then steam clean. Once clean, if it turns out not be the filter that is leaking, it will be much easier to pinpoint the leak.

Looking at the oil/crud build up on the cross member it has been leaking oil for many months. As has been suggested, change oil & filter, then steam clean. Once clean, if it turns out not be the filter that is leaking, it will be much easier to pinpoint the leak.

Nice to see a reply from a Real Trucker,instead of some nit whose never had more than a Grocery Getter in the west before he came here,and becomes an overnight oiler expert.thumbsup.gif

• 5 years later...
On 4/14/2015 at 2:48 PM, Gsxrnz said:

Looks like the filter is loose. If you put your hand at the rear/lower part of the filter, can you feel oil? It should be bone dry.

If so, give it a clean and then try and tighten it - grab it with a rag and see if it turns. If it's that loose that oil is weeping out of the seal, it should be loose enough to twist (clockwise) with your hands. It may only move 1/8 of a turn, but that may be enough to stop it leaking until you get it replaced.

Otherwise, it may have been over tightened and the seal has been crimped, allowing oil to escape.

Check your oil level and top up if you need to.

Any local garage can replace the filter for you, you don't need to go to an expensive dealer.

Yeah dealers will rebuild the engine for you.. on paper bill at least...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2015 at 3:25 PM, sotsira said:

Its all in the plan....

• Haha 1

Oil filter looks old. If they leak , they usually leak from new. There are power steering hoses there too. If the oil is black , its engine oil , but if its dark red/brown , its PAS fluid. Check both oil levels. Have engine cleaned. Change oil/filter. Keep us posted.