Xandros Desktop Business Edition

Gary A

Like most everyone else I would love to get away from Microsoft. CompUSA has this operating system for about $100 US dollars. Not cheap but supposedly it will run Window's programs. It is a Linux based operating system. Does anyone have it? Has anyone ever tried it?

Well, i'm using the open circulation edition now. it's free but it was a little hard to find, i had to use bittorent to get it. it works very well, and you can use the program that let's you run windows programs for 30 days as a trial. try it and see if you like it before you pay.

xandros doesn't exactly share in the free spirit of linux, but i don't fault someone for trying to make a living. another downside is that it's not a live cd like so many distros.

Well, i'm using the open circulation edition now. it's free but it was a little hard to find, i had to use bittorent to get it. it works very well, and you can use the program that let's you run windows programs for 30 days as a trial. try it and see if you like it before you pay.

xandros doesn't exactly share in the free spirit of linux, but i don't fault someone for trying to make a living. another downside is that it's not a live cd like so many distros.

I saw that 30 day trial in a review for the product. The ad for it on compusa.com doesn't mention that. Maybe that's why it cost $100. If that's not the case it certainly wouldn't be worth buying when you can get it free.

Xandros Desktop Business Edition doesn't use Wine, it uses Crossover Office Pro. Crossover Office Pro is the commercial version of Wine and cost normal retail around US$ 89.

It also uses the commercial version of Open Office called StarOffice (retail US$ 69), with all this commercial versions it is much easier to use to the level as easy as MS Windows.

Also Xandros has a Firewall wizard, which makes it even easier to setup a firewall then in Windows XP.

The US$ 100 is a great deal, normal Xandros Business Ed. go's for US$ 130

For more detail specs of Xandros Business Ed. http://www.xandros.com/products/business/d...atureslist.html

Edited by Richard-BKK

don't forget that you can dual boot with linux and windows.

I have a new plan now. I have decided to buy another SATA hard drive and install Suse 10.1. One of the board members mentioned that he got tired of paying for the extra Xandros add ons. I really don't want to partition my hard drive or use the dual boot option. Who knows? Maybe eventually I will be able to get rid of XP Pro.

don't forget that you can dual boot with linux and windows.

I have a new plan now. I have decided to buy another SATA hard drive and install Suse 10.1. One of the board members mentioned that he got tired of paying for the extra Xandros add ons. I really don't want to partition my hard drive or use the dual boot option. Who knows? Maybe eventually I will be able to get rid of XP Pro.

In that case, my previous mention of Wine (free) may be of interest to you and allow you to see what Windows programs you can migrate over to Linux.

• 1 month later...

I have actually upgraded my subscription with Xandros 3 Premium to Xandros 4 Premium. It cost me US$59. It does not include Crossover.

I am currently running a triple boot system with installs of Suse 10.1, Xandros 4 Premium, and windows. I use a scanner (One that is supported), digital camera, printer, Cable Modem, separate router, wireless access point, USB CD/DVD burner, USB Hard Disk, USB Pen Drive. I also installed a PCI wireless card. Everything was detected and installed flawlessly. All updates were also installed easily.

All features that I require were installed at installation time. These include a proper NVidea driver, ability to play mp3, .mp4 Audio and DVD Movies, Virus Scanning, Firewall and a "System File Protector".

I would highly recommend Xandros as a very painless Linux distribution which is extremely "Ex Windows user" friendly.

The only other thing I can say is that Xandros is boring! It just works and keeps working. I no longer use windows except for Accounting. I shall try and get MYOB working on Xandros but if not shall look at Linux alternatives.

• 4 months later...
Like most everyone else I would love to get away from Microsoft. CompUSA has this operating system for about $100 US dollars. Not cheap but supposedly it will run Window's programs. It is a Linux based operating system. Does anyone have it? Has anyone ever tried it?

Hi Gary A,

Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this thread and I hope your SUSE experience is going well. I have just installed Xandros and I'm dual booting with Vista. I would have to agree with sunstate on his opinion of Xandros. I have used Windows all my life and have been a bit on the scared side when thinking of trying Linux but Xandros has been almost painless! It has recognized all my hardware and installed without a drama at all. It has even correctly recognized my graphics card and allowed me to adjust the monitor to the correct resolution. I am wondering what all the fuss has been about if Linux is this easy to use but then again it's not a free version so maybe there has been a more concerted development push regarding the overall package.

I was looking at OpenSUSE as well as SUSE Enterprise Desktop myself for a bit until I stumbled across a comment on one of the SUSE boards with a guy who was pretty unhappy with the way they were developing it and said he was going back to Xandros.....a quick Google and I was reading their web page. I have got it on a free 30 day trail but I will be buying this for sure as it beats Vista hands down on price and it seems to be a ###### sight quicker as well. I am hoping to do away with Windows all together in the near future. There are some nice programs to change the look of Linux as well (Beryl) and once I work out how to download it I'll give it a try LOL. I must admit it's not like Windows where you download it and one click and it's installed it is all about scripts and Terminals etc but I'm enjoying learning it precisely because I don't feel lost and I can easily navigate around even if I can't download and install a lot yet.

Xandros has a great app called cross over which actually lets you install a Windows app straight onto the Linux side.....very handy when you forget that you don't download windows apps anymore and just start installing. A window pops up and away it goes simply installs the Windows app without a drama and they run without a drama either. At this point in time I'm extremely happy for Xandros to continue to be boring whilst I try and begin some basic command line stuff inside. So far so good and it isn't as frightening as I suspected although it does get a bit annoying when you explain to someone that you are a complete noob with Linux and you don't understand the command line instructions and open a Terminal.....<deleted>? and you get the reply "I don't understand what you don't understand about the process". but so far I'm really enjoying Xandros and I would definitely recommend it for any full time Windows users that were considering a change to Linux and have no Linux experience whatsoever.

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 Bahts worth to give you my view of Xandros anyway Gary A in case you give it ago later down the track. I really think it's quite easy to use which is saying something coming from one who has only been involved with Windows all his life but whatever you use in the end I hope it's a painless experience.

Cheers

Jimmy