Horse-mounted patrols aid security in Pattani

webfact

Horse-mounted patrols aid security in Pattani
The Nation

30258051-01_big.jpg?1429138386681

PATTANI: -- AN INITIATIVE to use horses for patrols in parts of the restive South by a paramilitary ranger unit seems to be paying off.

These "living vehicles" can traverse any terrain, lessening the chance for rangers being attacked on well-used roads, while the image of black-clad warriors on horseback is somewhat less intimidating to locals and thus gets residents engaged with rangers in more positive ways.

Wherever they go on patrol, rangers on horses are welcomed by children, who get to touch the animals, while many adult villagers also bring grass and water for the beasts. This yields quite a different picture from news about a lack of trust between locals and state officers.

This simple but surprisingly effective approach, applied by the 4409th Paramilitary Unit in tambon Paseyawo of Pattani's Sai Buri district, stemmed from a passion of the unit's leader, Second Lieutenant Somchai Sriphromm, whose parents were rice farmers who used horses to draw work carts.

Somchai saved up Bt200,000 to buy four Thai-breed horses - two females named Buppa and Mali and two males named Lucky and Sinil - for himself and subordinates to perform duties, instead of using trucks.

He also borrowed money to buy riding gear and food for the horses, which he is still repaying in instalments out of his salary.

"I was lucky to get help from locals like hay, grass and bamboo for the stables. We grow bananas around the base, while my subordinates also find more grass," he said. "I'm happy with what I did, even though I owe money for it."

Somchai said he didn't care if people thought he was crazy. "I'm happy with my work here, that's enough.

"When we patrol, villagers wave to us and children ask to ride a horse. So our base turns into a horse-riding club in the evening and many people come to see us."

The unit offers tea and coffee to the visitors, leading to conversation. "When we converse with one another, we understand more about each other," Somchai said.

To build on this, he has arranged for soldiers, police, administrative officials and female ranger volunteers to ride the horses to visit locals to boost community relations. Another project has a horse lead a convoy bringing pupils back home from school.

Every weekend, Somchai also hosts a "storytelling from horseback" activity, in which Muslim rangers tell stories about Islam in relation to horses at religious schools.

Horse trainer Sgt Jamras Khetkhom said the animals' ability to travel over any terrain helped rangers to avoid repeatedly using normal roads, thereby lessening the risk of attacks.

He said the two mares were pregnant and would take three years after giving birth to get back to work, so the two males would be very busy for now.

Sai Buri district clerk Nantharat Buayaem said the horse patrols were less intimidating and yielded more cooperation from villagers.

Local resident Ahamad Seurisor agreed that this approach was friendlier to villagers. "It gets people's attention and is interesting for kids. It's a heart-winning approach," Ahamad said, adding that he himself wanted to buy a horse for use as well.

Local youth Abdul-asi Maha was beaming as he got a chance to ride a ranger's horse.

"I was excited and little scared, but once I was on it, it felt awesome and I didn't want to dismount," he said, adding that he would save up to buy a horse because it was better than a motorcycle.

Islamic school pupils Usama Jehmae and Sorfa Lateh said they were glad to have a chance to ride horses in front of friends.

"The rangers are kind to bring horses for us to ride at school. We're so happy because we love riding a horse," one of the boys said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Horse-mounted-patrols-aid-security-in-Pattani-30258051.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-16

When I read all this posts above, only negative and and foolish, except one.

First to all the rocket scientists about horses, yes that's are a kind of ponies.

Remember the Huns, the Mongols and many others tribes who conquered Asia, Arabia, etc. used ponies, they are tough, reliable an easier and much cheaper to keep as big horses and in top the positive effect.

To the horse shit, I remember, when I was a kid, we all had a bucket with a small shovel in our yard.

If horses passed by and produced shit, then we was running to catch it, caused horse shit is just the best fertilizer which you can getting for your garden and in top for free.

Bravo Somchai Sriphromm. clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

The 2 pony will be worked into the ground I would imagine. It's really a 3 pony job, so Lucky can have a day off once in a while! At the mo he is un-Lucky to be rostered on to work everyday.

Edited by BSJ