A few surprises here.

Come on ace, don't take no rocket scientist to figure out replace the brakes on a Bentley costs more than replacing the entire front end of a civic. smile.png

The optional carbon ceramic brakes on my SUV cost the same as a whole car or pickup, LOL. No, I didn't spec them :)

• Like 1

So it costs more to repair a Mitsu or Subaru in the UK than it does a Benz? That tells me the major component for Benz repairs is labour, not parts wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Honda named UK's most reliable used car manufacturer 2015
Japanese brands like Honda continue to dominate the 2015 What Car? reliability survey, filling eight of top 10 places, while luxury and premium vehicles likely to break down most often
Honda has been named the most reliable used car manufacturer in the UK for the ninth consecutive year, according to research by What Car? and Warranty Direct.
The Japanese manufacturer topped the annual survey of 38 manufacturers, which analyses 50,000 live Warranty Direct policies on three to eight-year-old vehicles.
Once again, Japanese and South Korean manufacturers dominated the annual study of the most reliable brands, with Suzuki and Toyota claiming second and third place. Encouragingly for other manufacturers however, Chevrolet, Ford, Skoda, Peugeot and Fiat also forced their way into the top 10.
At the opposite end of the scale, luxury and prestige marques Bentley and Porsche are the most likely to break down, with 93% of Bentleys on Warranty Direct’s books suffering a problem each year, making it Britain’s least dependable car maker.

The full results were as follows:

1 Honda
2 Suzuki
3 Toyota
4= Chevrolet
4= Mazda
5 Ford
6 Lexus
7 Skoda
8= Hyundai
8= Nissan
8= Subaru
9= Daewoo
9= Peugeot
10 Fiat
11 Citroen
12 Smart
13 Mitsubishi
14 Kia
15 Vauxhall
16 Seat
17 Renault
18 Mini
19 Volkswagen
20 Rover
21 Volvo
22 Saab
23= BMW
23= MG
24 Jaguar
26 SsangYong
26 Mercedes-Benz
27 Chrysler
28 Audi
29 Jeep
30 Alfa Romeo
31 Land Rover
32 Porsche
33 Bentley

Without more info - meaningless.

Reliable how ? Warranty claim how ?

If a small piece of trim comes loose, and it goes to the dealer for repair, is this counted ? Is as much weight given to this as a rod thru the side of the block ?

You can make statistics say whatever you mean - and I would hazard a guess that people who buy a Bentley are - shall we say - fussy.

• Like 1

A vehicle is only reliable until it breaks and as all vehicles break given enough time they are all unreliable. Half of the vehicle's unreliability is the quality of the manufacturer and the other half is the driving habits and skills (or lack thereof) of its owner.

I think the stats are strange,specialy on the money side.To me its how many owners have broken down roadside that measures reliability, not some Boys Toys like Park Assists gone wrong..... Benz Unreliable .? now that is stretching things even for bribed motoring press.

• Like 1

Looks like a strange way to rank reliability .....

"The study ranks manufacturers by taking into account each vehicle’s failure rate, age, mileage and cost of repair".

Most of the more exotic cars are used less than the everyday cars, and their repair rates are bound to be higher - so that will automatically rank them lower.

The Bugatti Veyron should be the lowest ranked car using this system. Low mileage as they are rich man's toys - and mega cost of repair.

But Chrysler and MG must be bad to rank so low as their repair costs and mileage should be average (assuming it's the Chinese MG and Italian Chrysler and not a vintage MG TF or a Chrysler Imperial).

Edited by Phra Ek
  • Like 1

Sorry if a little off track.

I know this relates to the UK market but I have to agree with them in relation to the Honda. Bought a new CRV back in 2013 and have just clicked up 50,000 k's. Now, touch wood, after almost two years of driving on many of the autobahns in Thailand, oh sorry wrong country, the highways in Thailand, my vehicle has held together and the only expenses incurred are those for the 6 monthly services at the selling dealer. (range between 1800 and 3300 baht)

The tyres are still original, I'd say at least another 20,000 k's, brakes have not been changed and it just goes and goes. Cost a bloody fortune to buy, considering the cost back home, which is about 500,000 less than here but I understand that it's the tax that is the killer.

Had one claim when a dog ran under the front of the car, the whole lower front section replaced and at no cost to me, no excess. I was absolutely amazed. I find that the service provided is far above those back home, drinks (soft) and lunch at no cost, the vehicle washed afterwards, no extra charge. The company even arranges my insurance and registration when due, again at no extra cost. I have no complaints and a great vehicle. My repair costs in almost 2 years; Nil.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 2

Sorry if a little off track.

I know this relates to the UK market but I have to agree with them in relation to the Honda. Bought a new CRV back in 2013 and have just clicked up 50,000 k's. Now, touch wood, after almost two years of driving on many of the autobahns in Thailand, oh sorry wrong country, the highways in Thailand, my vehicle has held together and the only expenses incurred are those for the 6 monthly services at the selling dealer. (range between 1800 and 3300 baht)

The tyres are still original, I'd say at least another 20,000 k's, brakes have not been changed and it just goes and goes. Cost a bloody fortune to buy, considering the cost back home, which is about 500,000 less than here but I understand that it's the tax that is the killer.

Had one claim when a dog ran under the front of the car, the whole lower front section replaced and at no cost to me, no excess. I was absolutely amazed. I find that the service provided is far above those back home, drinks (soft) and lunch at no cost, the vehicle washed afterwards, no extra charge. The company even arranges my insurance and registration when due, again at no extra cost. I have no complaints and a great vehicle. My repair costs in almost 2 years; Nil.

I guess everyone has stories like this...

I have a 6yo Isuzu D-Max with 210,000KM on the clock, the only non-scheduled service was an AC fan blower that a critter got into, I also have a 5yo Pajero Sport with 170,000KM on the clock, which has had nothing but routine servicing - and both of them are cars we loan out to family and friends, so don't get the TLC of our other cars.

"...Used Car Manufacturer[,]" I guess that explains why used cars are so expensive in Thailand...they're actually new tongue.png

Yea ,,I didn't know either that they make used cars,, cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvY8zn8l clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0Jv9FQa1M cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvY8zn8l

I thought the automobile industry had progressed so far that it could now manufacture ' used cars '. I'm waiting for the Friday car which has a dent in every panel especially for Thailand so you don't have to worry about parking in BigC or Tesco.

Most cars over three years old break down at some stage if not serviced properly, and in my experience thats the main cause of a breakdown. Putting off the repair of a problem leads inevitability to a breakdown.

Statistics only tell a small part of reality.

Best cars I ever owned were Hondas, two Preludes, about 1995 and 1998, technologically advanced, fast, beautiful to drive, great looks, exceptional value, and reliable.

I agree. The former fiancee in Houston had one and I used to like thrashing that around the Beltway or up 45 to Dallas when needs must. Nice style too but not very practical for getting the legover inside though when one of the party is over 6' (fun trying though). A neighbour in my village outside Pattaya has a collection of nice 'old' cars that includes a Rover 200 and a white Prelude. If I have any spare cash and a well preserved one popped up on the market, I reckon I wouldn't be able to resist that.

This is what is amazing The top 3 auto makers are Japanese

They do make very good cars I would not have an American car even if you gave it to me

This is from past experience

What is your definition of an 'American car'?

What is the relevance to the article cited in the OP that is about the UK car market, ie. cars that are available on the UK market?

What is the relevance of this to the Thai car market, ie. cars that are available on the new, non-grey car market in Thailand?

Thanks!

Edited by NanLaew