Old Croc

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Irwin Dead.

Thailand related how?

:o

Thailand forum or not, if we can't diversify slightly and talk about other important issues going on in the world, we may end up with a case of tunnel vision not unlike our hosts. Hundreds of other purely Thai-related threads are out there to be read, so is a tiny slice of tangential bandwidth really an issue!? :D

It's a great shame that Steve Irwin is dead but fortunately there's a replacement who's willing to carry on bringing the natural world to the public. His name is David Attenborough and he's been doing the nature thing since 1952.

Oh for heaven's sake, enough of this sentimentality already!

Comparing Irwin to Attenborough is akin to saying a day out in Disneyland is on par with watching Shakespeare at the Globe.

I'm sure in a blokey sort of way he was a wonderful chap but his contribution to the sciences is questionable at best. He achieved what most dream about.....combining one's pleasures with employment. As a circus performer reliant upon sensationalism he was probably peerless in the animal arena and it is unsurprising that he struck a chord with the modern day public whose shallowness and hunger for undemanding entertainment is inexhaustible.

But, I'm sure the hyperbole will just keep on rolling........,

Steve Irwin Dead.

Thailand related how?

Keep up at the back! The thread was started by someone with x,000 posts, therefore it is Thai-related and will not be closed.

You keep pushing that line MBKK, but your point is obscure and incorrect.

I have had threads trashed previously for being non Thai related. You're an idiot! :o

Just watching Bob Irwin (Steve's father) being interviewed as I write.

He states there will not be a state funeral because "he was just an ordinary bloke"

If you hated the guy or are sick of this thread and think it's passed it's use by date, STOP READING IT! To continue posting is to be a troll.

Edited by Old Croc

It's a great shame that Steve Irwin is dead but fortunately there's a replacement who's willing to carry on bringing the natural world to the public. His name is David Attenborough and he's been doing the nature thing since 1952.

Oh for heaven's sake, enough of this sentimentality already!

Comparing Irwin to Attenborough is akin to saying a day out in Disneyland is on par with watching Shakespeare at the Globe.

I'm sure in a blokey sort of way he was a wonderful chap but his contribution to the sciences is questionable at best. He achieved what most dream about.....combining one's pleasures with employment. As a circus performer reliant upon sensationalism he was probably peerless in the animal arena and it is unsurprising that he struck a chord with the modern day public whose shallowness and hunger for undemanding entertainment is inexhaustible.

But, I'm sure the hyperbole will just keep on rolling........,

his contribution to conservation is second to none. His following by children is second to none.If you like Willie Shakespere, then I suppose that's your problem. :o

Just watching Bob Irwin (Steve's father) being interviewed as I write.

He states there will not be a state funeral because "he was just an ordinary bloke"

Good God, that brings a tear to the eye, don't it?

If we could all be ordinary, the world would certainly be a better place.......

Another Irwin thread? For the love of God. Is there a plot to turn this THAI forum into a shrine? Enough already!

At the very least, can't this be merged with the other sycophantic drivel . . sorry, i mean heartfelt tribute?

I suppose you could do what most normall people do when they don't like a thread..just ignore it.It's quite simple.You don't even have to click on the page.Easy really.

10 pages

....This guy ain't getting any deader boys.

Steve's gone. Move on.

troll

Fine lets keep the topic going permanently. Anyone up for a candlelight vigil?

I agreed with this topic at first. Now its becoming too sentimental and maudlin.

Bit like the topic when David Hookes died.

Pretty simple. If the topic doesn't interest you anymore don't read. Kind of like the people on this forum who bitch about FOX news but continue to watch it.........strange.

Another Irwin thread? For the love of God. Is there a plot to turn this THAI forum into a shrine? Enough already!

At the very least, can't this be merged with the other sycophantic drivel . . sorry, i mean heartfelt tribute?

You heartless beast !

It seems to me he lived his life like a candle in the wind.

Edited by Papa_Lazarou

It was not until I saw the date of Irwins' death on a computer screen that I realized he died on the same date, different year. Sept 4 has, for some 30 years, had a huge emotional effect on me. Clearly, Irwin's death is unsettling for me, but it is interesting Sept 4 has come up again.

It was not until I saw the date of Irwins' death on a computer screen that I realized he died on the same date, different year. Sept 4 has, for some 30 years, had a huge emotional effect on me. Clearly, Irwin's death is unsettling for me, but it is interesting Sept 4 has come up again.

Eh? :o

Right....."he died on the same date, different year"...... what he died once before already.

Anyway...as you say, spooky dude.

I have been following this thread and the discussion about being Thai related or not. Although it doesn't seem to be directly related, this man has died and people do seem to want to express their condolences. Out of respect to him, his family, and the numerous Australians living in Thailand, I think it should be kept open. He was truly an international citizen and his conservation efforts and awareness of animals is badly needed in this country with its dwindling forests.

At an appropriate time after his funeral, those in charge can close the thread if they chose to.

May he RIP and may his family know how deeply his loss is felt by millions of people.

Threads Merged.

And... just to keep it Thailand-related...

s6_copy37.jpg

A tribute to Steve Irwin

A group of elephant lovers pay respect to Steve Irwin, known as the ‘Crocodile Hunter’, in Ayutthaya yesterday. The hugely popular Irwin was killed by a stingray sting to the heart while filming a documentary in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef on Monday.

Source: The Nation - 6 September 2006

:o huh :D

adventure <deleted> to come out of the sticks in Oz was 'Troy Dann' he tried hard,

He was terrible! Steve Irwin was good and funny at the same time. Troy Dann wanted to be Action Man. I Remember watching his show one time. "There is a helicopter down and the only way in with fuel is by jet ski!"

Aye right he was followed by helicopter. So surely they could have taken it in. TD was not in Steves league. RIP Steve.

Sad indeed. IMHO

Yes I remember that one, he really was a Tosspot and this is what I meant by these guys having to recreate the first authentic experience they had, more often than not it did not work.

I forget, how much fuel did this jetski carry to save the helicopter lol. Oh and his sister was a real pain. He was a bit of a laugh amongst the real outback boys and heli pilots....laugh at, not with of course.

Irwins very early doco's that I remember seeing were made up of this shocking over acting. But then he just kept with it and it became him. He made a success of it, Dann and Mangels failed in the long haul.

Ive been reading other forums around the world that have posted this news.

Most views are along the lines of: "this guy prevoked animals to essentially perform for the video cameras, he was filming a doco about the world's deadly animals. Is it surprising that when pissing off a normally quiet and unthreatening stingray, he was killed? play with fire...etc etc"

Mother Teresa of the animal kingdom? Gimmie a break.