Major Education shake-up

Lite Beer

I would have rather seen the entire Ministry and all administrators investigated and prosecuted for corruption. The remaining "educators" should be evaluated for competence, and mostly terminated, not transferred.

The remaining "educators" should be evaluated for competence

...and you believe the two remaining Thais can handle the job properly?

• Like 1

The PM also removed all board members of the Teachers Council,

The reshuffling of the Department heads probably won't make much of a difference, but this ^ might have some impact.

A Thai friend once described the TCT (Teachers Council of Thailand) to me: "a bunch of school directors and senior teachers who were too corrupt or too incompetent to stay at their schools, but too senior to just fire."

• Like 1

I simply cannot believe that the majority of educators, administrators, civil servants, teachers and school directors have the capacity or the will to change for two reasons.

One, they will have to completely change their thinking and attitude.

Two, they will have to stop being corrupt.

Both of which are impossible.

One and two are the same. It's all about how much money they can skim.

• Like 1

"Learning" is a word not very well understood.

Resuffling of the white uniforms has little effect.

Take off and burn your cocky white uniforms, invite experts from abroad and start teaching the spoiled brads.

Suggestion: one hour a week of English (or Chinese, Russian) classes shows your dedication in teaching.

one hour a day will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and while you are at it get some teachers who speak English.

One must assume these were impediments to progress now removed. Very bold. Well done.

Did you not read the post? I'm

They were not removed, merely changed from one position to another.

You should be the one that should learn how to comprehend!!

He said "impediments to progress removed" not that people had been removed.

Before criticising others (wrongly) you should refrain from making the self same mistakes that LB is (wrongly) accused of having made!!

One must assume these were impediments to progress now removed. Very bold. Well done.

Did you not read the post? I'm

They were not removed, merely changed from one position to another.

he PM also removed all board members of the Teachers Council, |the Office of Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Education Personnel and the office's business organisation.

• Like 1

Since Thaksin came into office in 2001, proclaiming himself an education PM, little has improved in the field of education. It must be because the civil service hasn't changed. Thaksin and all of his 'puppet' governments used to change Educations Ministers at least every six months to give each of them some time to feed at the trough. It's kind of impossible for a Education Minister to get the civil service to respond when the civil service knows the minister will be replaced soon. There was no expectation of change. Now, utilizing Article 44 of the interim Constitution, Prayut has put the fear of losing their jobs on the table if things don't improve. That is something the complacent civil service is not used to. As for inviting Farangs, who, admittedly, generally do a better job at education, they wouldn't be listened to so it is best to have Thais reform Thais. Motivation is the key and job security can be a good, if harsh, motivator.

And if this doesn't work, it'll still be Thaksin's fault...

And if this doesn't work, it'll still be Thaksin's fault...

I disagree with that statement. Thaksin was no worse than Abhisit or any of Thaksin's predecessors for reforming education. It's just that I remember he made a lot of big speeches about being the 'Education PM'.

It this doesn't work, then Prayut had better try more stringent remedies because if education is not made a priority, and soon, Thailand will fall further and further behind economically and will never achieve true democracy. If the educations system cannot be reformed for the better, then all the other reforms are pretty much useless. I'm glad to read that PM Prayut is actually shaking up the civil service bureaucracy (Education Ministry permanent secretary Suthasri Wongsamarn will be removed... The PM also removed all board members of the Teachers Council, |the Office of Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Education Personnel and the office's business organisation.) and not just the political appointees. I'll bet you can't name another PM whose gone to these lengths to remove the obstructionists, and deadwood from of the Civil Service system.

'obstructionist' is one key item here - well discussed in the past, the senior people in the education ministry have for years put up a total brick wall to any change, and their brick wall was so powerful that all the various ministers in the past made no progress whatever in all attempts at education reform.

Given the past history, remove them, sends them to inactive posts - whatever is needed to totally bring down the road block.

'political appointees' the second key item - for years this ministry has been riddled with totally incapable people, and on many surveys over many years this ministry has been listed as the second most corrupt agency / ministry in Thailand. Hopefully the reforms will totally stop the political appointees practice.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I'm going to start off thusly: I am writing in a generalization of both foreign AND Thai teachers with whom I've worked closely for years. WE ALL CHEAT! The very first year I started teaching English, I graded honestly, giving many students low or just barely passing grades. When I looked at some of these students' reports cards, I saw that ALL their other grades were A's & B's. In one fell swoop, I realized it made me look like a bad teacher, so from that point on, ALL my students (including the drooling idiots who can't even write their name in English) A's & B's. What a good teacher am I - 5555!!! Until this cherade stops, not only will there be NO progress, but with the new challenges life is presenting these youth, failure will be the norm.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My sense is that Prayuth's idea of education is to indoctronate Thai children to accept values that most in the West would consider feudal. Unless Thai education starts focusing on critical thinking and creativity rather than rote learning and submission, nothing will change.

Perhaps that's what he's aiming for, perhaps that's why just a week ago he ordered a team of people (not the people just removed / just sidelined) to study how education happens in Finland, Korea, Singapore, etc., and make some recommendations.

• Like 2

The director of my school asked us foreigners firmly to step forward with ideas to improve the overall performance of the school. When some of usdid, the standard answer was that things are not done that way in Thailand.

I used to work with some American colleagues who would always inquire how you and the family were. They simply wanted to here "good" and never expected any bad news or lengthy answer. It was just a stock greeting with an expected stock answer - not a sincere question asked out of interest.

You've experienced a Thai equivalent. When they ask farangs for ideas, comments, suggestions or criticisms, they expect a simple smile, nod and nothing more. They don't actually want or expect you to really do it!

You have to present things in a way that they can show as coming from them, that it's their idea etc. All tied up with the face culture and the Thai interpretation of politeness.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

Mentions nothing of upgrading the education just shuffling people around. They need to start getting inline with the rest of the countries in the world regarding education. Thailand is one of the few countries left that does not teach English in the schools.

Without English, right or wrong, the world is pretty much closed to you

• Like 2

The director of my school asked us foreigners firmly to step forward with ideas to improve the overall performance of the school. When some of usdid, the standard answer was that things are not done that way in Thailand.

I used to work with some American colleagues who would always inquire how you and the family were. They simply wanted to here "good" and never expected any bad news or lengthy answer. It was just a stock greeting with an expected stock answer - not a sincere question asked out of interest.

You've experienced a Thai equivalent. When they ask farangs for ideas, comments, suggestions or criticisms, they expect a simple smile, nod and nothing more. They don't actually want or expect you to really do it!

You have to present things in a way that they can show as coming from them, that it's their idea etc. All tied up with the face culture and the Thai interpretation of politeness.

Offering ideas, comments, suggestions or criticisms is easy if you don't have to worry about implementing them.

Overcoming barriers (costs, cultural, red tape, etc.) to implementation is not so easy.

Try looking at things from their perspective.

Have a nice day. smile.png

So effectively what happened was that those in positions of power were removed from one post and awarded another ... and they call this BS reform?

The education system needs a complete overhaul; that means sacking all the dead wood, hangers on, friends of friends in high places and starting fresh.

If it was me the first thing I do is bring in Finland and ask their advice for the Fins have one of the best education systems in the world.

Of course this would mean asking foreigners for help which ultimately wouldn't serve cronyism. Seriously this country doesn't have a hope hell of reforming anything.

Now waiting for the next propaganda declaring Thailand to be the HUB of Education. What a joke.

• Like 1

Since Thaksin came into office in 2001, proclaiming himself an education PM, little has improved in the field of education. It must be because the civil service hasn't changed. Thaksin and all of his 'puppet' governments used to change Educations Ministers at least every six months to give each of them some time to feed at the trough. It's kind of impossible for a Education Minister to get the civil service to respond when the civil service knows the minister will be replaced soon. There was no expectation of change. Now, utilizing Article 44 of the interim Constitution, Prayut has put the fear of losing their jobs on the table if things don't improve. That is something the complacent civil service is not used to. As for inviting Farangs, who, admittedly, generally do a better job at education, they wouldn't be listened to so it is best to have Thais reform Thais. Motivation is the key and job security can be a good, if harsh, motivator.

I fully agree and would add to it they take a close look at the bureaucracy. How many administrators does it take?

Mentions nothing of upgrading the education just shuffling people around. They need to start getting inline with the rest of the countries in the world regarding education. Thailand is one of the few countries left that does not teach English in the schools.

Not quite sure what Thailand you're living in, but I have been teaching English for years in the Thailand I've been living in. It's one of the few jobs expats can get.

blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not quite sure what Thailand you're living in, but I have been teaching English for years in the Thailand I've been living in. It's one of the few jobs expats can get.

alt=blink.png>

Well you have not made much of in impression on the Thais. Very few speak enough English to get by with in a country other than Thailand

• Like 1

You can`t educate the masses as they will be able to see what the rest of the world can, keep them thinking they are clever and the rest of the world is stupid, easy ride for the elitists and politicians etc, Thainess at its best clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

You can`t educate the masses as they will be able to see what the rest of the world can, keep them thinking they are clever and the rest of the world is stupid, easy ride for the elitists and politicians etc, Thainess at its best alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif> alt=clap2.gif>

quandow is of the opinion that all Thais have mastered English so I guess it is true. Just the majority of non-Thais that know there is a grat lack of understanding of the English language

One needs to read between the lines to get around the smoke and mirrors. The entire board of the business administration has been relieved of duty. The same happened to the ministry of health board of finance and the transport ministry board of finance. Don't quite know the in and out of what's going on. But all financial institutions of every major government office will now be under the control of someone that is not the prime minister and the cabinet. The naivety of posters on here that think "the great education fix " is on the way is astounding.

It's all about the money and who is going to control it for the next 50 years.