Social media storms against school's grade boasting policy

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The controversial policy to put students’ grade point average (GPA) on their school-uniform shirts has whipped up social-media storms.

Many netizens have lambasted the policy, describing it as “ridiculous” and “nonsensical”.

“When will you stop prioritizing GPA over the process of learning? Whose brain has given birth to such silly policy?” is one of the many critical online comments.

It also warns that such policy can easily backfire, causing an inferior complex among students with lower GPA.

Via her Facebook account, a government official says, “I feel sad to find that it’s the best Thai educators can come up with”.

Daily News reported on Friday that this controversial policy was being used at Yia Suksa Rajamngalaphisek School in the northeastern province of Ubon Ratchathani.

The school’s deputy director, Kamjad Kulchote, told Daily News that the policy was designed to encourage students to study harder and the policy implementation had showed good results.

“Our students’ scores in Ordinary National Educational Test (Onet) have improved after the policy was introduced a year ago,” he said.

He also explained that the school did not require all students to show their GPAs on their school-uniform shirts.

“They can do it on a voluntary basis,” he said.

An online survey a popular website, www.dek-d.com, however shows 91 per cent of respondents disagree with such policy.

Office of Basic Education Commission’s secretary general Kamol Rodklai is not happy with the policy either.

He has now ordered that the school scrap the policy.

“The school had better improve teaching performance and hand out awards to outstanding students,” Kamol said on Friday.

Fracking unbelievable! How could anyone with even the remotest inkling of child development think this could be a positive step. Beyond stupid, but the HiSos will love it because they can buy good grades for their wee numpties.

Why not put a star on the uniform of anyone from a hilltribe while you're at it?

Discrimination at its best.

A uniform is to level all as equal, and not permit the richer kids to display wealth and power over the poorer, who without equal uniform would be considered scum.

Discriminate the uniform, then may as well do away with it.

This <deleted?>k up just continues to get worse, as the <deleted?kers who think they were educated when daddy paid and bought for their schooling and degrees now manifest as top educational leaders.

Something tells me it's all ballsed up.

A REAL THAI in-depth education...... sorry; there's no such so <deleted>king thing.

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't parents have the chance to show to everyone the false grades that they bought and paid for ?

Thainess.

How about Thai government officers having their declared salary incomes embroidered on their shirts too?

Or maybe engraved on their BMWs?

• Like 1

What value are these education boffins putting on the development of the human spirit? You further erode the child’s environment to fulfilling their role as a good human being, what damage can you cause in their future life?

The system can be bought and tampered with. So the rich child will not suffer? The poorer child may be condemned to their place in Thai society via such a system?

Education in Thailand may be open to everyone, but this system may handicap the poorer child as to access and availability. Who wants to spend money on a poor dumb child?

• Like 1

What value are these education boffins putting on the development of the human spirit? You further erode the child’s environment to fulfilling their role as a good human being, what damage can you cause in their future life?

The system can be bought and tampered with. So the rich child will not suffer? The poorer child may be condemned to their place in Thai society via such a system?

Education in Thailand may be open to everyone, but this system may handicap the poorer child as to access and availability. Who wants to spend money on a poor dumb child?

Exactly, if a child from a poor family doesn't get the grade they deserve or is otherwise discriminated against his / her parents can appeal all they want but they don't have the wherewith all to substantiate their appeal.

• Like 1

This by far is the most stupid and ridiculous thing I have heard in my entire 8 years in Thailand.

The sobs coming up with this utter nonsense bs should be taken in for a real adjustment and after through with that have them clean Bangkok streets in their white uniforms for the rest of their lives.

Education reform from Prayuth and his clowns. Great way to bring the country together and return happiness. Lets put all the dumb kids on display so they can be teased and ridiculed by thier peers and society.

Strange - I just read on another thread that the education ministry is finally being shaken up, and that the PM has sent people to Finland and Singapore to look at their school systems.

But, hey, don't let anything stop you from a chance to knock this government before they've even had a chance to reform anything. 6 months - of course every solution should be instantaneous just like PTP used to do. Or was lying a better name for their solutions?

I also read on another thread how Thaksin's various governments used to change education ministers at very regular intervals - some would say more to give a feeding turn at the trough than actually reform education.

Seeing as Thaksin controlled governments have been in power for most of this century perhaps you can list their achievements in education during that time? Free cheap Chinese Tablet any one ?

Actually, it is normal for Thai civil servants, including teachers, to receive lots of meaningless medal ribbons to wear on their uniforms...so why not give the medals out starting with Kindergarten?

Fair point - a certain PM suddenly appeared uniformed with medal ribbons, as did her young son! At least they didn't sport parachute wings that just about everyone else does.

I attended a law school that posted everyone's grades. I had no problem with that. The Thai school GPA's are meaningless, because they only reflect the ability to memorize (rote-learning) or the ability to cheat on multiple choice exams. It does not get any better on the university level in Thailand.

Years ago I taught at a rural uni and at the end of one semester an Aussie colleague committed the cardinal sin of compiling all the grades for his students and posting them on a notice board for all to see.

They disappeared almost immediately and he was warned never to do that again. Confused he was taken aside by an old hand who said the system worked on no public disclosure until everything was settled behind the scenes including ' appeals ' etc by students and / or parents who supplied ' good reasons ' why a higher grade was justified.

I should say that ' adjustments ' to the grades were made by the administrators and the teachers never consulted. Everyone kept a copy of their original grading just in case it was ever needed.

It's the whole system here that's wanked - just a reflection of the wider society and how money, connection, family and power influence everything.

My daughter gave me all her school exam results as the teachers gave them out, before the formal report. One subject was missing. A Filipina teacher. Apparently, when giving out the marks verbally she noticed my daughter, who doesn't pay for extra tuition, had achieved higher marks than another pupil who does pay this teacher for extra tuition. Apparently she said loud enough for all to hear that she must have made a mistake and wanted to check these two papers together.

I went absolutely ballistic, not only the presumption but also that she dared to say such a thing publicly. Both my daughter and her friend regularly score high marks in all subjects. This is an expensive private school, with a good record and my daughter is in the most expensive bi-lingual program. I don't expect crap like this from any of their teachers. My wife calmed me down and went to see the teacher. After several days she admitted there was no mistake, the results were correct, my daughter had scored maximum marks whilst her friend hadn't.

How many times does this happen? Not so long ago we caught one teacher allowing certain students to re-take tests if they scored low and then submitting the new better scores. Other students just had the one chance.

Interestingly we have a good group of parents, about a dozen families, When anything contentious happens though they all push me to the front and want me to speak to the school director!

• Like 1

I attended a law school that posted everyone's grades. I had no problem with that. The Thai school GPA's are meaningless, because they only reflect the ability to memorize (rote-learning) or the ability to cheat on multiple choice exams. It does not get any better on the university level in Thailand.

I lectured part-time at a British university on business related courses at one time. Occasionally I would get calls from various course leaders regarding low scores or fails. I was always asked to revisit and quite a lot of pressure would sometimes be applied to "adjust" grades. But I was never asked to check a high grade again!

This by far is the most stupid and ridiculous thing I have heard in my entire 8 years in Thailand.

The sobs coming up with this utter nonsense bs should be taken in for a real adjustment and after through with that have them clean Bangkok streets in their white uniforms for the rest of their lives.

You should copy this quote and be ready to paste it within a few days.

I am sure another ridiculous proposal will come up soon.

I seem to see this type of remark every few days now.