Does Pattaya have a sea breeze year-round?

funlovinkid

I happen to call Chiang Mai home (for the moment), but for the past several years, I've found myself in the Pattaya area in March or April, in order to escape the smoky air pollution problem up north every year.

I notice that, near the beach at least, Pattaya/Jomtien seem to have a steady sea breeze blowing every day, which I find extremely pleasant. And, of course, it helps keep my room cool as well.

For those of you who've been living here for a while, is this typical? Is there normally a time of year when the breeze dies down? I'm toying with the idea of living here at the beach, but the wind/breeze is a big part of the attraction, and if the air typically stagnates for several months every year, my perception would be very different! Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Our Na Jomtien beach front condos got winds from the west or south west every day in the afternoon from about 1.00pm onwards. Simply glorious sitting by the 7/F rooftop infinity pool - luxury condo with breezes still available at about B11m too !!

wind changes from the nw and ne during winter months bringing all the crap air down from China.

December, January , March the air sucks here to just ask my allergist.

Living by the beach is nice and early morning walks are great but still have that nasty humidity to deal with. around 80% or higher in the mornings but it seems to cut back to around 60% as the day goes on as long as it is sunny.

9 am 83 degrees F, dew point 81 and humidity 95 %

Edited by ToddinChonburi

It is a rare day when there is no wind in Jomtien.

I agree with the temp/humidity figs already mentioned.

What I have never understood is this low season / high season nonsense. Holiday makers come for sun sand and sea....Pattaya / Jomtien has all 3 all year round...its very hot in May. I have seen it rain at any time of the year....I can't say i ever saw a long period where there was endless clouds and rain in nearly 11 years...

If you want wind all the time get a condo on a corner of the building at least 7 floors up.....or eat pickled eggs and blue cheese.....

• Like 1

There is normally a breeze here but it does vary from onshore to offshore. Still days here are very rare.

Chiang Mai is very different.

When the breeze switches to offshore, does the air ever get smoky from any burning taking place inland? I've never experienced such a thing here, but I would be curious to know if it's common or not.

There is normally a breeze here but it does vary from onshore to offshore. Still days here are very rare.

Chiang Mai is very different.

When the breeze switches to offshore, does the air ever get smoky from any burning taking place inland? I've never experienced such a thing here, but I would be curious to know if it's common or not.

Yes, I have noticed a burning smell very occasionally when the wind comes from inland. Maybe once or twice a year. The prevailing wind at the field-burning time of year comes from the sea so it's not a problem.

What I do often notice when the wind comes from inland is all the black particulates from diesel exhaust that accumulate on my balcony. That doesn't happen with the onshore breeze, though the humidity goes up instead. So you cant win 'em all.

None of this is even remotely like Chiang Mai though.

Some days the air is not moving but they are rare , the breeze and air quality is one of the reasons I choose to live near the sea, After 4 years in Bangkok moving here was a big change for me.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1