No work permit but a Thai passport

Hello guys

First and foremost, I understand that to teach in Thailand you will need a degree to obtain a work permit. But what I would like to know if it's possible for school to employ you if you have a Thai passport and a TEFL but don't have a degree.

Will the process be the same as the English speaking foreigners; in which, you would still need to have a degree to be qualified,or will there be an expection?

If someone could provide me with some personal experience, information or opinions on this matters, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

As a Thai you don't need a work permit nor a visa. You do need a teacher's license. A TEFL isn't any recognized qualification.

I don't know a single school that would hire a Thai national to teach without any form of degree.

You might get private teaching jobs especially if you are bilingual.

As a Thai you don't need a work permit nor a visa. You do need a teacher's license. A TEFL isn't any recognized qualification.

I don't know a single school that would hire a Thai national to teach without any form of degree.

You might get private teaching jobs especially if you are bilingual.

Thanks!

I know of schools who have hired Thais who carry an overseas passport. They have the same requirements to get the Teacher's License as any other person, including having a degree. Some schools do not want to pay Those with Thai nationality or ancestry the same wages as they pay a farang teacher, however.

I know of schools who have hired Thais who carry an overseas passport. They have the same requirements to get the Teacher's License as any other person, including having a degree. Some schools do not want to pay Those with Thai nationality or ancestry the same wages as they pay a farang teacher, however.

With exceptions. There's a female TVF member who receives the same salary, as native English speakers do. Of course does she have a degree.

In my opinion, the perfect English teacher. Of course having a decent spoken and written English.

Edited by lostinisaan

I heard the provisional teaching permit for Thai teachers are less than 2 years and will certainly not be granted 2 or 3 times.

I heard the provisional teaching permit for Thai teachers are less than 2 years and will certainly not be granted 2 or 3 times.

From discussions with my wife's friends, the regulations for Thai and Foreign teachers are exactly the same, although they have more options available for obtaining their full licence. As they also need to get qualified if they want to continue teaching.

e.g. One of my wife's friends was looking into the Krusapa seminars in Thai last year to work towards her full licence, although has decided to do a graduate diploma or certificate instead (Sat/Sun for 1 year) because it's easier to get into & another one of our friends who did one last year at the local Rajabhat, said it was really really easy.

Oh and yeah @ OP - You'll basically just need to find a school which is willing to hire you "under the table" soto speak, as you're not legally allowed to teach. You will likely find this quite difficult in most urban schools, but the countryside usually isn't as fussy (And likewise, probably won't be as fussy about whether you look Leuk Krung/Thai/Farang).

• Like 1

"From discussions with my wife's friends, the regulations for Thai and Foreign teachers are exactly the same, although they have more options available for obtaining their full license. As they also need to get qualified if they want to continue teaching."

Private schools in Thailand don't have the same restrictions.

Thais can work for private schools without a teacher's license.

I have worked with many that had degrees in the subject they taught in but didn't have an education background. The school would hire them but require that they take certain professional development courses or be working on a Masters in Education.

"From discussions with my wife's friends, the regulations for Thai and Foreign teachers are exactly the same, although they have more options available for obtaining their full license. As they also need to get qualified if they want to continue teaching."

Private schools in Thailand don't have the same restrictions.

Thais can work for private schools without a teacher's license.

I have worked with many that had degrees in the subject they taught in but didn't have an education background. The school would hire them but require that they take certain professional development courses or be working on a Masters in Education.

Private schools are still under OBEC, and so it's the same system there as at government schools.

Whereby teachers, both foreign & Thai, require a Thai teaching licence in order to teach. You don't necessarily require a BEdu or Graduate Diploma in teaching in order to obtain a teaching licence.

Teachers with non-Education degrees can apply for 2 year provisional licences, and then do professional development courses (Krusapa seminars, teacher's licence exams, graduate diploma or other additional tertiary qualifications) in order to obtain a full teacher's licence. Teachers who are working on obtaining a full licence via this route, are then usually granted a 2nd & possibly 3rd provisional teaching licence if needed.

Edit: Re-read your post & remembered that you have a BEdu, or at least assume you do from some of your previous posts.

You know that foreign teachers, whether at govt or private schools, don't need a BEdu in order to teach right?

And that most of us have degrees in other fields, then obtain a 2 year provisional teaching licence, which is issued upto 2 or 3 times (provided we are in the process of doing professional development courses), and once our professional development (MEdu/GradDip etc) is finished, we can obtain a full (5 year) teaching licence (In exactly the same way Thai teachers obtain their licences, but we also need to do a Thai culture course and some professional development courses are only offered in Thai so not an option to foreign teachers).

Just as I remember you posting quite a few times saying that teachers must/should have a BEdu or Grad/Dip in teaching, which is of course desirable, but not actually required.

To the OP. You cold try kindergarten, language schools or vocational education unis etc probably want a degree... not sure about rajaphats). These fall outside the remit of OBEC and are not as strict.

OBEC is in charge of students from P1-M6 (basic education)

Also I agree that in the sticks you could probably bribe your way into a job

I have attached a pdf that explains the Thai educational setup

education thailand.pdf