Zero TOT broadband at night

Is it just me?

Since Songkran at around 8 pm every night - total halt on internet connection in the Mae Nam area (my friends, too). Then it resumes at around 8 am every morning.

Antone else getting this?

R

It depends where you live. I'm using TOT since many years. After having problems in the beginning, we asked the phone number from the technician. Now, if we need him we call directly and normally it's done within a few hours.

I have a buddy on the outskirts of town up north and he has cable TOT. After a storm on the 10th he went without internet fot 8 days. He phoned them 3 days ago, stayed in all day as they said someone would be round........no one turned up. I have a dish pointing at TOT across the rice fields. Mine went off during a storm , after the sun had dried out the water in the dish it was working again.. You may not always get what you pay for .

I have had the same problems with TOT for many years. 3 months ago I switched to 3BB and it has been perfekt all the time.

What download/upload package have you got on 3BB?

I use testmy.net on my True 13Mbps cable in Huahin and never got more than 2.6Mbps (20% of what I paid for).

In Samui I am in Hua Thanon and so I can only get AIS 3G 21.6Mbps (real speed = up to 2.1Mbps, 10% of paid) or DTAC 3G 42Mbps (best speed = 2.5Mbps).

In the next month or so i will probably move to Nathon and try to get 3BB cable. I was tossing up between the 5Mbps business service (apparently better access to sites outside LOS) or the consumer 50Mbps (on the assumption that I might get 10% of what I pay for)

Has anyone any direct experience of either of these two packages?

The big problem on Samui - they overload the number of users.

depending on location - you may be getting your 'paid for' service, but most areas now just keep adding users without a plan to increase the size of the pipe!

When I first had TOT (10 years ago or more?) they were good. Eventually it ran like a 3 legged dog.

Then I added 3BB. Again, for a few years - best on the island. Then - it just kept getting worse.

After that I added the AIS dongle. Same thing. Good at the beginning, later - rubbish.

Also tried True. Exactly the same as the others eventually.

So - 4 different service providers at the same time. All 4 costing me money each month and I still had trouble getting on-line.

Now I use a private company on a leased line. More expensive - yes. Better service - you bet. No complaints now (except like today when we had an 8 hour power cut for preventative maintenance.)

After the power cut - 3 TOT customers called me to say that 'the internet is down'. Anyone else in the Bangrak/Plai Laem area have this problem

The big problem on Samui - they overload the number of users.

depending on location - you may be getting your 'paid for' service, but most areas now just keep adding users without a plan to increase the size of the pipe!

When I first had TOT (10 years ago or more?) they were good. Eventually it ran like a 3 legged dog.

Then I added 3BB. Again, for a few years - best on the island. Then - it just kept getting worse.

After that I added the AIS dongle. Same thing. Good at the beginning, later - rubbish.

Also tried True. Exactly the same as the others eventually.

So - 4 different service providers at the same time. All 4 costing me money each month and I still had trouble getting on-line.

Now I use a private company on a leased line. More expensive - yes. Better service - you bet. No complaints now (except like today when we had an 8 hour power cut for preventative maintenance.)

After the power cut - 3 TOT customers called me to say that 'the internet is down'. Anyone else in the Bangrak/Plai Laem area have this problem

Yes - exactly my point.

It seems that it's been getting slower and slower in direct proportion to the density of our long-stay Russian friends, who have entirely taken over Avanata Condominiums - my neighbour - plus another big 100-bungalow estate on the other side of me. As soon as it's late afternoon/early evening, everything grinds to a halt and stays like it until around 7:00 am.

The local Facebook sales groups are crammed with their online presence and several Russian-language promotional adverts are extolling the joys of making a living by online networking.

Can anyone advise me if going fiber-optic would make a difference??

(I know little about this, other than it needs to run direct to my house and not to a terminal box half a click away!)

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...