Thirty-nine killed on roads over Khmer New Year

webfact

Thirty-nine killed on roads over Khmer New Year

20-4-2558-9-31-57-wpcf_725x413.jpg

CAMBODIA: -- There were 132 road accidents across Cambodia during the Khmer New Year this year in which 39 people were killed, 141 seriously injured and 107 less injured, according to the National Police’s Department of Public Order, reported The Phnom Penh Post.

Crashes damaged nearly 200 vehicles, including 157 motorcycles and 40 cars.

Most of the accidents were caused by speeding, drink driving, careless driving and changing direction illegally, said the report. Most of the victims in motorbike accident were not wearing crash helmets.

Last year, vehicle crashes claimed 38 lives during the Khmer New Year holiday, according to the National Police. However, injuries this year dropped by 58 people, with 248 injuries compared to last year’s 306. The number of fatalities is 12 higher than in 2013.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thirty-nine-killed-on-roads-over-khmer-new-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-20

I just returned to Hua Hin after my first visit to Cambodia. Before I went, I didn't have much good to say about Thai drivers, but the Cambodians make the Thais look like German drivers. There is literally no following of any road rules including traffic lights, passing zones, helmets, speed, ...