Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

Thailand is a Me - First Society, you haven't been on a one vehicle Soi with a 7/11, and people park the car and go shopping, blocking the whole Soi , Welcome To Thainess...

I have seen this, and it reminds me of parts of Brooklyn! tongue.png

And parts of the Bronx!

And many, many other places in lower New York state! 5555.

Unfortunately, selfish, inconsiderate people aren't confined to one country or one location!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly does happen, and more often than you might realise. My old bike, while big, was very manoeuvrable, and I'd often find myself at the head of the pack at lights. Seeing a foreigner on a large bike beside them seemed to be a challenge to the more childish riders. But herein lies the problem and why the OP is not just a Thai bash or an insignificant issue - when the blood rushes to the head, what little rational brain cells are still functioning get pushed aside.

Many times I've experienced a "challenge" at the lights. There is only one way to handle it safely. Just let the pack go and let all of the other riders get ahead of you - I prefer idiots in front of me than behind, anyway. To helll with their "face". There is another way, but not so safe - and that is to accelerate hard to get clear of the pack and then throttle back. While I like to do this because it creates clearer ground and opens up more space for everyone, it does encourage the richardheads.

Wonder if this is a problem in other countries!

Yup, happens all of the time here, and those who say it doesn't may not even realize it is happening. My strategy on my CBR250r is a bit different than yours, though, as I like to get in front and stay in front, which I can do 99.9% of the time. I've seen guys on bigger bikes do a little jig when they passed me on open stretches, only to have me wave bye-bye to them once we hit traffic. And I don't do any polite, easing past them when I'm in a pack at the light. I wind that little one cyclinder out and scream out of there, making it clear that there will be no game playing. Works for me!

Edited by Myaimistrue

I think it must be added that NO Farang ever does anything that could be seen as dangerous on the roads, Farangs in Fortuners and huge Pick ups are shy, laid back folk, with excellent road manners, who never ever break the speed limit, never ever drink and drive, if only the Thai's could be more like us white folk, the world would be a better place.

Hang on a minute, perhaps they are like us...........

http://www.statisticbrain.com/driving-citation-statistics/

http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of-dui-arrests-per-state/

It certainly does happen, and more often than you might realise. My old bike, while big, was very manoeuvrable, and I'd often find myself at the head of the pack at lights. Seeing a foreigner on a large bike beside them seemed to be a challenge to the more childish riders. But herein lies the problem and why the OP is not just a Thai bash or an insignificant issue - when the blood rushes to the head, what little rational brain cells are still functioning get pushed aside.

Many times I've experienced a "challenge" at the lights. There is only one way to handle it safely. Just let the pack go and let all of the other riders get ahead of you - I prefer idiots in front of me than behind, anyway. To helll with their "face". There is another way, but not so safe - and that is to accelerate hard to get clear of the pack and then throttle back. While I like to do this because it creates clearer ground and opens up more space for everyone, it does encourage the richardheads.

Yup, happens all of the time here, and those who say it doesn't may not even realize it is happening. My strategy on my CBR250r is a bit different than yours, though, as I like to get in front and stay in front, which I can do 99.9% of the time. I've seen guys on bigger bikes do a little jig when they passed me on open stretches, only to have me wave bye-bye to them once we hit traffic. And I don't do any polite, easing past them when I'm in a pack at the light. I wind that little one cyclinder out and scream out of there, making it clear that there will be no game playing. Works for me!

Perhaps it was you that the OP saw ? wink.png

Perhaps it was you that the OP saw ? wink.png

555 no, it's not a game to me, so nothing to celebrate. It's a way to survive, to get and stay away from the crowd. Getting home alive and well, that's something to celebrate!

Is this for real????

It is. It happens every day.

Usually Thai scooterists when I'm on my motorbike. Not just a bit of light and playful competition that doesn't matter to the rider. Very, very aggressive (dangerously aggressive), then often gloating when they have reached an unassailable lead (in their imaginary race)

Why?

I have been riding in Bangkok for 8 years, I ride over 100 km nearly everyday, and I have never seen this happen, ever!

Now, I have had the odd car get stupid and aggressive when I have beeped them over something, but that is another story.

My experience too, I ride about the same distance and for as many years, in varying density of traffic all over BKK. Never seen the leg/arse wiggling thing, might not be a bad thing around Nana if she's fit? The only competition I ever seem to get into is with rice rockets who want to try to show my English bike up. After I let them 'win' I then overtake them and salute them, always get a friendly thumbs up back. As for the cars, they often apologise to me when they do something silly, even taxi's. It seems to be such a common occurrence in this forum that people see the world in such utterly different ways, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong, that people must be generating their own reality. I find the roads here to be fairly good and safe and yes, the old bill too. Daft implementation of daft laws granted, but not vicious and malevolent like the deleted back home. Sorry, bit off topic at the end, can't stand them. That's one reason why I'm here and not there :) Long may it last.

Lucky it's only in Thailand! Just imagine this shit happening in real world!!?

Exactly, but you would think these things only happen in Thailand looking at ThaiVisa threads.

An accident here involving Thai's is put down to a lack of education and a complete disregard of any common sense, gross stupidity, moronic thinking and a total disregard of anyone else etc etc..........

In a Farang country, an accident is just an accident, accidents happen.

Edited by Banzai99

Happy Grumpy.

Your moniker actually says it all! Happy Grumpy. (pardon me for repeating it for affect)

When something adverse repeatedly happens to us we really should ask our selves a simple question. 'Is it something that I am doing that provokes this response?' In other words, a case of 'cause and affect'.

I would also like to ask you a question. When someone is ahead of you, in an unassailable position, how can you tell that they are gloating? You said that twice did you not?

^^ I'm 35, moved here 9 years ago. The attempted put down (ageism) speaks volumes about your level of input though. So thanks for letting us know that what you write is nonsense.

exactly, but you would think these things only happen in Thailand looking at ThaiVisa threads.

Before moving here I spent 10 years in the UK, all over Europe, North Africa and Australia.

I never saw any of the I get ahead and risk all our lives to do so attitude, or gloating for 'getting' ahead in any of those regions.

You, like Berkshire, are just a troll. Your ageism (attempted) put-down confirmed it.

I would also like to ask you a question. When someone is ahead of you, in an unassailable position, how can you tell that they are gloating? You said that twice did you not?

Them lifting up and waving their ass, or them standing up and dancing while wiggling the bike/scooter usually gives the game away.

Utterly bizarre really.

Almost as if they are mentally unbalanced. crazy.gif

^^ I'm 35, moved here 9 years ago. The attempted put down (ageism) speaks volumes about your level of input though. So thanks for letting us know that what you write is nonsense.

exactly, but you would think these things only happen in Thailand looking at ThaiVisa threads.

Before moving here I spent 10 years in the UK, all over Europe, North Africa and Australia.

I never saw any of the I get ahead and risk all our lives to do so attitude, or gloating for 'getting' ahead in any of those regions.

You, like Berkshire, are just a troll. Your ageism (attempted) put-down confirmed it.

I moved here when I was 35, I was able to adapt and now find driving conditions normal, I have been able to adapt, if you haven't that's your problem.

Ok, so if your'e people are so perfect, why do so many get done for speeding and drink driving in western countries ?

Give it a rest, troll.

This is about "Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them." Not about speeding and drink driving.

TrollBGone-vi.jpg

Ok, so if your'e people are so perfect, why do so many get done for speeding and drink driving in western countries ?

Give it a rest, troll.

This is about "Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them." Not about speeding and drink driving.

TrollBGone-vi.jpg

Do you really want me to give a huge list of road rage from the west you tube links ?

No, I didn't think so .

Edited by Banzai99

Never had this happen to me.. but maybe I am not looking for it. Did have one on a big bike try to race me. I ignored him, I wont race.. just riding is dangerous enough.

Im in BKK sometimes near tingtongfarang, but he makes more KM's as me.

Edited by robblok

Not sure if it is putting Thais down, can tell you traffic back home is far safer. But I agree lots of people enjoy putting Thais down.. but that does not mean that its not justified. Quite a few times it can be justified education is bad here and so are many other things. So without rule of law you get this kind of stuff.

I once had the (dis)pleasure of meeting a older Dutch guy that loved putting Thais down and it became so bad that I told him to shut up and not talk with me anymore but not before I asked why he still lived here if he hated it all so much.

But I am 100% sure there are plenty of examples that are justified that you might consider putting Thais down.

But on the other hand.. farangs stick out for each other defending the theft of a scooter ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/818725-thai-owned-motorbike-stolen-by-caucasian-man-acting-erratically/ ) or drunk driving by farangs because of the lack of taxis.

I disagree as its so hypocritical.. condemning Thais for sticking it to the farang (it happens) but doing the same too.

I know for a Fact many here do not live in Thailand , they just permeate threads here with their bile and hatred, i'll give one thing for ThaiVisa, the Thai bashing has been allowed from day 1 and continues to this day. , Farang bashing is a different story, not allowed and instant ban.

But, if Thai Bashing was clamped down on, there would be no traffic = no money = no forum.

But how do they get Thai based advertisers with all the Thai bashing that goes on, if I believed everything I read on ThaiVisa, Thailand would be the last place I'd do business and I'd stay well away from the place.

It seems to me you are hoist by your own petard, where did he mention age? A put down? Do you need a hug? Unfortunately, I am unable to help, butter side up only, pardon. I often notice the rather bovine troll card played in various places, concentrated in one particular place. Apparently there, the first person to use it wins. As I posted before, I let the others 'win' before I salute them as I fly past. I predict my putative troll status. Salute to you sir.

And yes, the roads here are safe enough, providing you can step into another's shoes a bit and try to see the world through their eyes. It's not that hard, really.

Is it fake angry trolling to point out that those situations that happen to you are unfamiliar to others here?

Perhaps something excites the locals to arse wiggling/baring behaviour in your presence?

It doesn't happen to me. Perhaps I'm not wearing the right gear?

The Thai's I race against would have given me a friendly thumbs up a long way back.

Almost as if they are mentally unbalanced. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

That pesky petard again 555.

Aye. Salute.

Peace.

Let's see

I wear HJC Lorenzo Helmet (Full), Joe Rocket Jacket , AGV Sport GPR Gloves , Komine Kevlar Jean and Alpinestars SMX Plus boots.

So I guess my gear is okay and I didn't see any thai driver act strange or stupid.

Edited by santo78