Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw plenty of this behavior in Chiang Mai when I lived there.

Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and the entire route there from BKK. Where numerous posters on this small thread have all experienced it.

The question of why it happens is an interesting one.... Perhaps it questions somethings that some posters don't want to question and find uncomfortable.

Like what?

I already put forward a theory, which may largely be correct, incorrect, partially correct etc etc. a few pages back.

BTW,

My family moved here when I was 12 and I started riding at 15/16, have done numerous training courses (at the behest of my parents), Mainly through the Honda AP Facility.

How not to ride a motorcycle:

Thanks.

Funny DLang how you are bemoaning the aggressiveness of Thais, but any time a poster talks about being aggressive towards Thai riders whilst driving their car, you are giving them the thumbs up.

I think that sums it up with you guys, you are out their acting like idiots and then act surprised when you get it back. Guess you 'training' courses didn't do you much good then.

but any time a poster talks about being aggressive towards Thai riders whilst driving their car, you are giving them the thumbs up.

ermm.gif

You have all confuddled yourself.

Perhaps you didn't read that I said that's 'How NOT to ride a motorcyce'? :huh:

Edited by DLang

but any time a poster talks about being aggressive towards Thai riders whilst driving their car, you are giving them the thumbs up.

ermm.gif

Perhaps you didn't read that I said that's 'How NOT to ride a motorcyce'? huh.png

Do your homeworks kid, that clearly shows you have no idea about riding. So besides the reckless driving please educate me in which way iam driving technically wrong in your eyes?

You wanna ride with me?

ermm.gif

Perhaps you didn't read that I said that's 'How NOT to ride a motorcyce'? huh.png

Do your homeworks kid, that clearly shows you have no idea about riding. So besides the reckless driving please educate me in which way iam driving technically wrong in your eyes?

You wanna ride with me?

Why would I bother. You obviously don't value your life as much.

ermm.gif

You are the confused one mate, wasn't talking about your comment on that video, I was talking about comments made by car drivers on this forum that you have liked. A car drive made a comment about being aggressive towards bikes and you liked it. In the context of you saying that bike ride is aggressive, should I really have to explain that - duh!

I saw plenty of this behavior in Chiang Mai when I lived there. I had a Thai on a bigger bike cut me off then when I beeped at him give me the finger.I raced sports cars for a while in my misspent youth so i decided to have a little fun in my little Mira and raced him down the very curvy road we were on. After I punched it and passed him I slid through all of the turns till I got to a bigger road then slowed down and let him pass. He gave me the finger again and I gave him the biggest smile I could and waved bye. I'm not sure he appreciated it. And yes, those little Miras have a lot of balls up to about 80 KPH. After that forget it. I also had a Thai here in Udon get very mad at me because I didn't move over into oncoming traffic so he could pass me on the left around parked cars in traffic. Once we got moving he took a stick and started beating on the side of my truck. I am not a badass but no one should have to put up with that shit so I blocked him in, got out of my truck, walked over to him and took away his stick. Then I got back into my truck and drove away. No more problems. I think it helped a little that I am 6'2' and weigh 200 lbs. And yes, I probably should have more sense but no one has accused me of having any sense in a long time. LOL!

And by the way, that video shows someone who knows how to ride in Bangkok. Clearly you don't.

A car drive made a comment about being aggressive towards bikes and you liked it.

Actually, I liked his honesty and observational skills.

You might have picked up on that if you scrolled down to where I quoted that part of his post and commented on it.

But honestly, never mind. Your confusion is getting you angry.

ermm.gif

You are the confused one mate, wasn't talking about your comment on that video, I was talking about comments made by car drivers on this forum that you have liked. A car drive made a comment about being aggressive towards bikes and you liked it. In the context of you saying that bike ride is aggressive, should I really have to explain that - duh!

I saw plenty of this behavior in Chiang Mai when I lived there. I had a Thai on a bigger bike cut me off then when I beeped at him give me the finger.I raced sports cars for a while in my misspent youth so i decided to have a little fun in my little Mira and raced him down the very curvy road we were on. After I punched it and passed him I slid through all of the turns till I got to a bigger road then slowed down and let him pass. He gave me the finger again and I gave him the biggest smile I could and waved bye. I'm not sure he appreciated it. And yes, those little Miras have a lot of balls up to about 80 KPH. After that forget it. I also had a Thai here in Udon get very mad at me because I didn't move over into oncoming traffic so he could pass me on the left around parked cars in traffic. Once we got moving he took a stick and started beating on the side of my truck. I am not a badass but no one should have to put up with that shit so I blocked him in, got out of my truck, walked over to him and took away his stick. Then I got back into my truck and drove away. No more problems. I think it helped a little that I am 6'2' and weigh 200 lbs. And yes, I probably should have more sense but no one has accused me of having any sense in a long time. LOL!

And by the way, that video shows someone who knows how to ride in Bangkok. Clearly you don't.

>And by the way, that video shows someone who knows how to ride in Bangkok.

The video show one reason why they will never open tollways for big bikes and most probably never change any other rule that restricts big bikes. Just imagine there are more and more big bikes and every rider acts like this. Imo not the way to go. Very selfish and somehow aggressive too. Similar to one of the thai riders the OP is talking about. Self mindset. They all think they know how to ride. And many of them had no bad accident the last 6 years. Says nothing.

I do not say Hili is a bad rider. But to present him as a role model is somehow childish.

" I was talking about comments made by car drivers on this forum that you have liked. A car drive made a comment about being aggressive towards bikes and you liked it."

"Aggressive"? I don't see where I hurt anyone, except maybe their feelings. And I really wouldn't care if the rider was Thai, American, or martian. I live by 2 sayings that became very clear to me in my 50's: The older I get the less I tolerate axxholes" and The older I get the more axxholes I see".

How not to ride a motorcycle:

Thanks.

You should have put: how not to ride a small displacement motorcycle.

Then it would be correct, but for big bikes in Thailand, this is the only way to ride, go with the flow and stay ahead.

A car drive made a comment about being aggressive towards bikes and you liked it.

Actually, I liked his honesty and observational skills.

You might have picked up on that if you scrolled down to where I quoted that part of his post and commented on it.

But honestly, never mind. Your confusion is getting you angry.

Angry? I doubt I would get angry over this :)

" you have to show me one situation in the video where i endanger others iam well aware of the conditions and my surroundings."

That's a good 90+% of the video. All it takes is one car/truckmotor/bike/bus/tuk-tuk not to act in the way you expect it to and you will be saying "Honest, it wasn't my fault". That type of driving endangers everyone out there, whether you believe that or not.

" you have to show me one situation in the video where i endanger others iam well aware of the conditions and my surroundings."

That's a good 90+% of the video. All it takes is one car/truckmotor/bike/bus/tuk-tuk not to act in the way you expect it to and you will be saying "Honest, it wasn't my fault". That type of driving endangers everyone out there, whether you believe that or not.

+1

Completely agree. And additionally such riding style distracts others from being able to focus on the street. So i wouldnt be suprised if there are lots of accidents happening around big bike riders who ride like this. Maybe they can stay safe, but they endanger others.

Strange then the risk i put myself in everyday is 90% that i hit another; so within the last 6 years i never did? I know somewhen it will happen but mostly thats not really connected to the riding style. Then on the other hand you didnt understand what me and others were saying we are talking about big bikes which have enough power& stopping power to get away from these situations; which scooters might not able to. Well on a scooter i wouldn't ride like this. But than its hard to understand if you are not a rider yourself.

@Wantan thats a good joke about distracting others; do you live in Disneyland?

Strange then the risk i put myself in everyday is 90% that i hit another; so within the last 6 years i never did? I know somewhen it will happen but mostly thats not really connected to the riding style. Then on the other hand you didnt understand what me and others were saying we are talking about big bikes which have enough power& stopping power to get away from these situations; which scooters might not able to. Well on a scooter i wouldn't ride like this. But than its hard to understand if you are not a rider yourself.

>@Wantan thats a good joke about distracting others; do you live in Disneyland?

No, but i try to stay on topic and share my thoughts.

^^ I'm 35, moved here 9 years ago. The attempted put down (ageism) speaks volumes about your level of input though. So thanks for letting us know that what you write is nonsense.

Lucky it's only in Thailand! Just imagine this shit happening in real world!!?

exactly, but you would think these things only happen in Thailand looking at ThaiVisa threads.

Before moving here I spent 10 years in the UK, all over Europe, North Africa and Australia.

I never saw any of the I get ahead and risk all our lives to do so attitude, or gloating for 'getting' ahead in any of those regions.

You, like Berkshire, are just a troll. Your ageism (attempted) put-down confirmed it.

I moved here when I was 35, I was able to adapt and now find driving conditions normal, I have been able to adapt, if you haven't that's your problem.

I'm sorry Pal...but if you have come to believe that driving conditions here are normal, that doesn't make other people abnormal.

I thought we were discussing how we handle competitive Thais and avoiding them by clearly getting/staying out in front? That might work until you meet a Thai with as big a bike as yours, or would you back-off then? If not, then you're just street racing.

Hili - it will never work mate. We will just never be able to learn to ride a scooter as safely as the new arrivals here :)

Best we stay with our bigger machines and just ride the way we have been doing all these while. After all, it has stood us in good stead, right?

Best we stay with our bigger machines and just ride the way we have been doing all these while. After all, it has stood us in good stead, right?

Complacency, mixed a touch of arrogance.

Newbie (and dangerous) mindset.

Let's all hope your wake-up call doesn't coincide with the production of a 100kg plastic bag of tomato paste.

Its interesting to read so many death wishes in a biker forum. Thought somehow we all share the same passion; but i don't even know how many here even riding.

When i will die while riding i will be happy cause i died doing what i love.

Think thats one of my last post here. Bye "bikers"!