College Near Sisaket Is Seeking Two Native English Teachers..

Hello and Swasdeee khrap,

A vocational college, 25 km away from Sisaket towards Surin is seeking two native English speaking teachers.

They made quite a few bad experiences by hiring Cameroonian and Filipino teachers and finally figured out that their own Thai English teachers were even better than those they'd hired.

Teaching experience would be great, but not a must.

The admins of the school are seeking native English speakers from the UK, America, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, but as far as i understood also people from European countries may apply, of course depending on their level of English..

A short English grammar and listening online test might be pat of the interview, which will only take ten minutes, a short demo lesson should be given, just to make sure that the mistakes from the past won't be repeated.

Please be aware that no Filipinos, Indians, or any African nationals, excluding SA nationals will be invited for an interview.

If you believe that the salary is too low, please just don't apply, or reply. Thanks a lot for your consideration.

It would be perfect for people who'd love to gain some teaching experience, or guys who're thinking about a volunteer job. The salary will be only about 20 K, right now I do not know if a higher salary would be possible.

They do not receive any money from the Thai government,as it's a small private institution and do not have many students.

Applicants should hold a degree in any field, to be able to get you a work permit and a Non- B visa. I still don't know if they'll pay for it, as they only had very negative experiences before.

This is just a favor for a school in the same town I'm working at and any negative posts are really hated and not wanted.

The positions will be online soon, so please send your resume to me as soon as possible.First come, first serve.

I hope to hear from you soon. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Hello,

I am interested in applying for this position. I am American and I have a degree and a TESL/TEFL credential. 20K would not be a problem as long as I would have medical insurance. I can do a demo and also have a lesson plan that I put together. If you send me the email address I will send my resume tomorrow.

Thanks, hope to get an interview.

In fact the more I read this post the more I think it should be removed. OPS please consider. The poster is saying the problem is because they hired 'Filipinos and Camerounians', sorry guys that's you dismissed in one fell swoop. ...... you can't possibly be good teachers because of your national origins whereas a native speaker, (preferably white I presume?) is going to be better. Should TV really be giving its space to such arrant nonsense? I have had the good fortune to work with a range of great teachers from many different countries including the Philippines and Cameroun. (In fact I even married a filipino teacher. ) Most Filipinos and Camerounians are usually multilingual - most Camerounians are able to speak English and French, for instance. this stuff really has no place in any form of educational setting or discussion of educational matters.

I agree with others. This doesn't help anyone. If they can't get quality teachers they need to make the changes themselves, not give a sob story and expect native speakers to pick up the slack.

This is their country as we are so often reminded. Let them do something about it themselves. They don't want our suggestions but they're quick to offer us excuses on top of an insult of a salary. This country puts more money into education than their neighbours and it shouldn't be our job to support their corruption and selfish ways.

• Like 1

Please inform any possible victims of the class size and weekly class load hours. I believe that will helpfully steer many away from a possible trap. I have taught at a vocational school. Been there, done that, got the scars.

• Like 1

They pay peanuts. They got monkeys.

It seems that they didn't learn from their mistakes.

The only people this would really suit are weirdos and retired people already living in the area and looking for something productive to do.

good luck. smile.png

Edited by DLang

....The only people this would really suit are weirdos and retired people already living in the area and looking for something productive to do....

Neither of whom usually have a lick of teaching experience or training. Hence the sad state of Thai education.

20K a month would be fine for a few hours in-class teaching a week, and free to come and go as you please. I doubt that's the case though. Even the Filipinos at my school get quite a bit more than that, and some are quite good teachers. I wonder how much the government allocated for hiring foreign teachers? It's certainly more than 20K a month. 35 to 40K would be closer to the mark for native speakers.

20K a month would be fine for a few hours in-class teaching a week, and free to come and go as you please. I doubt that's the case though. Even the Filipinos at my school get quite a bit more than that, and some are quite good teachers. I wonder how much the government allocated for hiring foreign teachers? It's certainly more than 20K a month. 35 to 40K would be closer to the mark for native speakers.

Specifically, in my case, it was for 14K/month (this was 12 yrs. ago), and about 26 hours of instruction per week, including Saturdays. Class sizes were 50+ students, and I was responsible for over 1,000 students total. Sundays were usually teacher-training days, so no days off. Classes were held from 7:30am until 7:30pm.

It was definitely "boot-camp" for a trained/experienced foreign teacher. I took the job to get my foot in the door, and ended up with a cushy job at a nearby university.

So check the other details first!

• Like 1

In fact the more I read this post the more I think it should be removed. OPS please consider. The poster is saying the problem is because they hired 'Filipinos and Camerounians', sorry guys that's you dismissed in one fell swoop. ...... you can't possibly be good teachers because of your national origins whereas a native speaker, (preferably white I presume?) is going to be better. Should TV really be giving its space to such arrant nonsense? I have had the good fortune to work with a range of great teachers from many different countries including the Philippines and Cameroun. (In fact I even married a filipino teacher. ) Most Filipinos and Camerounians are usually multilingual - most Camerounians are able to speak English and French, for instance. this stuff really has no place in any form of educational setting or discussion of educational matters.

If you want, I can page you the director's as well as the coordinator's telephone number and you can ask them why they have made only bad experiences.

You can't even spell Cameroonians properly, nor Filipino, but you seem to know more than the admins of this particular college what they went though before. Is it a criminal act now to offer a job?

The job might come with accommodation and other goodies, I have no idea. I just wanted to help them to find somebody, that's all.

I neither receive money for it, nor do i like to discuss if 20 K, is enough for a college teacher.

They believe through their own personal experience, that the teachers from Cameroon and the Philippines, they had before were even worse than Thai teachers, teaching English.

I've only posted this here to do them a favor, because my school's in the same small town, got nothing to do with their offered salary, or any other relevant circumstances, teaching load, etc....

The coordinator got in touch with me, drove to Sisaket, even left her phone number at a few places, hoping to find somebody.

BTW, they're not looking for any "multilingual speakers", all they're looking for is a naive English speaker, or eventually a European with an excellent command in English.

It's a job offer and I think it's fair to know that you're not making a fortune, before you even think to apply for a job, or traveling a lot, just to find out what's going on.

I sorry lost, i mostly agree with all your posts and threads,

but I dont understand why you would agree to posting that position,

knowing full well you will cop flack for it?

I'll have to conduct a seminar for all the teachers from this school on Monday and Tuesday and ran into the coordinator, asking me for help.

They made quite a few bad experiences by hiring Cameroonian and Filipino teachers and finally figured out that their own Thai English teachers were even better than those they'd hired.

That's what you said. That's what I object to. I don't have a problem with my spelling, your spelling, your grammar, my grammar, your race, or anything else. This may not be what you meant but my reading of your sentence is that the mistake was to hire people of certain types of national origin, i.e. Filipino and Cameroonian. So if they had appointed native speakers from the US or the UK there wouldn't have been a problem? Duh!? Being a native speaker does not qualify you for anything in the teaching game. I know plenty of African and Asian teachers who are top notch teachers, true professionals, who could blow the socks off many native speaker 'instructor' types.

Edited by gerryBScot

agree. the ability of previous teachers and problems experienced have nothing to do with their nationality.

if there have been consistent/reoccurring problems with hired staff then the first place i'd look is at is the HR dept and the recruitment and selection process, clearly it is not currently fit for purpose.

That's what you said. That's what I object to. I don't have a problem with my spelling, your spelling, your grammar, my grammar, your race, or anything else. This may not be what you meant but my reading of your sentence is that the mistake was to hire people of certain types of national origin, i.e. Filipino and Cameroonian. So if they had appointed native speakers from the US or the UK there wouldn't have been a problem? Duh!? Being a native speaker does not qualify you for anything in the teaching game. I know plenty of African and Asian teachers who are top notch teachers, true professionals, who could blow the socks off many native speaker 'instructor' types.

You might go back and read my post again, Sir. Nobody made the statement that there wouldn't have been a problem with teachers from the UK, or America.

I’m not a native speaker of English my own, as I grew up in a bilingual environment, using English and German from earliest childhood on.

Teaching here for ten years did show me what skills are needed to be a successful teacher and I totally agree with your statement that speaking a language alone, doesn't make anybody automatically to a teacher of this language.

But I assume that a teacher of the English language should be able to pronounce words correctly, knows the right answers in tests and knows exactly by only looking into the students’ eyes, if they got it, or not. Plus some more psychological skills and cultural knowledge, of course.

The problems the particular college was facing were tremendous. It wasn't just the poor command of spoken and written English that finally led them to the decision to never hire nationals from mentioned countries again.

If none of the students understands their teacher, it can hardly be the students’ fault, right?

When these teachers “correct” right answers as wrong, use and teach the wrong sentence structure, always use the wrong tenses in written and verbal tasks, then you might start to question your decision why you hired them.

Let’s just use your imagination and think about teachers who are chasing female students, finally get them drunk and get caught. That doesn't look good for all involved, wouldn't you think?

Then please add some fake degrees that were “found” by the TCT, forged documents such as Thai culture courses that dated back to times where the teachers haven’t even been in Thailand yet and you might wake up sleeping dogs and get bitten.

Now please put all in a mortar, stir it well and think twice if you would consider to continue like that, constantly thinking that people will “change.”

I hope that you do understand that this is just a job offer and not a thread about any outstanding African and Filipino teachers on this globe, better said in Thailand. Of course do they exist, but this institution never had the good luck to find such incredible educators.

You know plenty of well-educated African and Filipino teachers, thus you didn't even mention the existence of excellent native English speakers. Are they all unqualified to teach here?

What about your own personal thread, where you can point out the disappointing quality of native English speaking teachers, compared to some outstanding multilingual teachers of some third world countries?

Once more, this is just a job offer. Thank you very much for your kindest consideration. wai2.gif

Hello,

I am interested in applying for this position. I am American and I have a degree and a TESL/TEFL credential. 20K would not be a problem as long as I would have medical insurance. I can do a demo and also have a lesson plan that I put together. If you send me the email address I will send my resume tomorrow.

Please check your inbox.BTW, you must have my e-mail address already. Cheers,-wai2.gif

Hello,

Seldom will these schools provide a western-type health/medical plan. It doesn't hurt to ask in the bargaining process, however.

Lostinisaan I was starting to think this was about loss of face, which you have confirmed, and my apologies if I caused you offence because this was not my intention. Some one suggested we don't crucify the messenger which at one level is a fair point, but sometimes messages have to be edited to make them acceptable. Designating a job 'NES only' is perfectly acceptable and doesn't actually require any justification which might give offence.

I am inclined to start giving suspensions to people for racist remarks. There are numerous Filipinos and Cameroonians who speak English well and who are degrees in education. The OP is making a swipe racial swipe.

This is a job opening, so let's stay on that topic and not discuss the fact that a school chose some poor applicants.

"But I assume that a teacher of the English language should be able to pronounce words correctly, knows the right answers in tests and knows exactly by only looking into the students’ eyes, if they got it, or not. "

Double WOW!

"I wonder how much the government allocated for hiring foreign teachers?"

"It's certainly more than 20K a month. 35 to 40K would be closer to the mark for native speakers." (That's good for a laugh.)

"Isn't 20k the mandatory starting salary at government colleges/unis?"

Did you see this sentence in the OP?

"They do not receive any money from the Thai government,as it's a small private institution and do not have many students."

"But I assume that a teacher of the English language should be able to pronounce words correctly, knows the right answers in tests and knows exactly by only looking into the students’ eyes, if they got it, or not. "

Double WOW!

"I wonder how much the government allocated for hiring foreign teachers?"

"It's certainly more than 20K a month. 35 to 40K would be closer to the mark for native speakers." (That's good for a laugh.)

"Isn't 20k the mandatory starting salary at government colleges/unis?"

Did you see this sentence in the OP?

"They do not receive any money from the Thai government,as it's a small private institution and do not have many students."

I'm sorry and I really regret that I've started something like that. Okay, I don't believe that even helping somebody to find such cheap labor, is even fair.

Thought about it and will write an advertisement for them at ajarn.com on Monday, or Tuesday.

I apologize for posting such a nasty and shitty thread. Was my own fault not to think twice. And you guys are right.

Not less than 35+ for teachers with experience.

I'll tell them that such a try will never ever be successful. Can't freaking hear their whining voices that they don't have enough money.

But the cash schools, even in small villages, spend for parties and other boozed times, is unbelievable.

I do feel so freaking stupid, really needed a wake up call, thanks guys. Better to say no, then you won't find a school acting like that.

You won't see a similar post from me again. Thanks and a nice weekend.

Dear mods, please feel free to close this thread, it was a huge mistake first place.blink.png

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

"Okay, I don't believe that even helping somebody to find such cheap labor, is even fair."

I disagree with you on that.

Do you really think it's not fair to try to help them, or are you just tired of hearing some of the negative things that have been posted?

A few comments are wrong, and a few are just following the pack.

I always get a laugh at how some people overvalue their worth. Many are legends in their own mind.

If a school feels they can only afford (or want) to pay a low price, that's their business.

Test scores and stats, for the most part, don't show double the results if the teachers are payed twice the amount.

Many people didn't come here to teach, but are doing so to be able to stay here. It's not a career for them, it's a job.

If they could flip burgers for a living here, I'm confident there would be many applying for those jobs.

Take a look at some of the older topics about lower pay. Many of the same posters.

Terry