Anyone Read "the Butterfly Trap"

jasonc

I've never read any book, fact or fiction about BKK, LOS other than guides. Can people list their favorites?

I highly recommend "Private Dancer", which is a great read and about an English guy who falls in love with a Nana Plaza go-go dancer, and the ensuing romance and inevitable heartbreak. As well as being a good novel, it's an interesting insight into "that side" of Bangkok.

I've never read any book, fact or fiction about BKK, LOS other than guides. Can people list their favorites?

I highly recommend "Private Dancer", which is a great read and about an English guy who falls in love with a Nana Plaza go-go dancer, and the ensuing romance and inevitable heartbreak. As well as being a good novel, it's an interesting insight into "that side" of Bangkok.

It is an enjoyable novel, but, from past experience, I predict that you will soon regret expressing this opinion! :o

It is an enjoyable novel, but, from past experience, I predict that you will soon regret expressing this opinion! :o

Ahhh... a warning from one who has been there before? ... but let's be gentle on him OK? :D

Remember... everyone has their own opinion.

Do they have any movies on those books, as I dont really like reading

Why am I not surprised by that Donz? :D

Back on-topic, what about "Thailand Fever" by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant?

I try to advise people to read 'Money #1' before they come on a first time 'fun' holiday to Pattaya.

It just might, in some cases prevent heartache, loss, financial ruin and suicide; etc. etc.

I gave the book to one friend, he seemed to understand the gist of the subject matter.

Two weeks later he then immediately sold all his U.K. assets, returned to Pattaya and 'lasted' three years.

So books can't save everyone.

I try to advise people to read 'Money #1' before they come on a first time 'fun' holiday to Pattaya.

It just might, in some cases prevent heartache, loss, financial ruin and suicide; etc. etc.

I gave the book to one friend, he seemed to understand the gist of the subject matter.

Two weeks later he then immediately sold all his U.K. assets, returned to Pattaya and 'lasted' three years.

So books can't save everyone.

I try to advise people to read Money #1 before they come to Thailand. That book does not apply exclusively to Pattaya; I see that stuff in BKK left and right

I would rate "private dancer" #1, Stephen leather has finished another I think is is called "confessions of a BKK private eye. I haven't seen it in the book stores yet but there is a excerpt and ordering instructions on Stickman's website. I loved the books by Hutchenson: Money No1, "the fool is back" etc. Funny how you can be reading this stuff while your making all the mistakes (well, almost all) he warns against.

There's a new "history of Thailand" thats pretty good and gives us a perspective. "Lady of Issan" was good. I also enjoy reading Stickmans reader submissions.

Don't expect any of them to save you from repeating the mistakes of others. You haven't really "experenced" Thailand untill you do it your self but they may minimise the damage done.

Ohh, the human drama.

• 7 months later...

>>>> Dope, Inc <<<< hard to get but you can find the PDF file online (small file - about 4 megs - and easy to read)

Before Air America, before Politics of Heroin, this book dishes the truth about the global drug trade. Going back to the opium wars in 1800's and East India Company, through to the 1960's. HSBC, Bangkok Bank, P&O, British Royal family, etc etc all exposed with detailed and supported facts (it's NON-FICTION so not a typical holiday read)! This book is no holds barred! Who setup and controls the global drugs trade .... now you know.

I remember reading a website (Blog) written by a Thai teenager about his life on school and how he became addicted to yaa baa and his struglle to

finish his addiction.

It was/is very interesting as talking about yaa ba addiction of teenagers in Thailand is still taboo.

According to him it is a massive problem that does is not discussed in the media.

What you are about to read is a harrowing but true story of drug addiction. It is a story that has never publicly been told in Thailand before. Drugs is a taboo subject and many teachers say that things like this never happen at their school. But it does. Only young Gor (his real name) has been brave enough to stand up and say "I am a drug addict. I have a problem. Please help me." Despite the hundreds of letters of support he has received from teachers, parents and teenagers from around the world there are many in Thailand that believe that this is a story that shouldn't be told. The sad fact is, the drug problem in schools cannot be solved until people first admit that there is a problem.

Go here for the full story: http://www.thaidrugaddict.com/

A few links to get to know him:

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/ (where he is now)

http://www.gorsworld.com/ (his story)

These all are real and not fiction.

Enter the real world.....

The true mother of Bangkok novels is "A Woman of Bangkok" by Jack Reynolds published in first in the UK in 1956, after three more prints DK Books put it out in Bangkok in 1985............dare you to find a copy anywhere other than my bookshelf.

So ahead of its time it is amazing!

'Private Dancer' is a good read but I don't agree with people who say it is a must read. It is full of sterotypes and the sort of stories you always hear from drunks in bars. Maybe it potrays a realistic picture of the BG scene in BKK and Pattaya and maybe certain Farangs. I have to say that nearly all the books I have read about Thailand, by Farang, have left me feeling dissapointed. Exceptions being, as previously mentioned, 'Bangkok 9, and 'Jasmine Nights'.

I prefer reading Thai authors and I have just begun 'Four Reigns' by Kukrit Pramoj.

Here is a great link for Thai fiction;

http://www.thaifiction.com/english/list.html

I would recommend Mad Dogs & Co by Chart Korbjitti for a real insight to Thai life

I can't remember if Jasmine Nights was written by a Farang

Edited by garro