Tiger Temple disciples seek help

webfact

Temple disciples seek help
Prapasri Osathanont
The Nation

30258385-01_big.jpg
File Photo

BANGKOK: -- DISCIPLES from Kanchanaburi's Wat Pa Luang Ta Bua Yansampanno urged the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) yesterday to probe the head of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department for ordering 400 armed officials to remove wildlife from the temple earlier.

The group, led by Siri Wangboonkerd, submitted a petition to Admiral Wallop Kerdphol, chair of the NLA committee on natural resources and environment, at Parliament. It alleges the department head teamed up with veterinarians to seek benefits from this case.

They urged the committee to suspend the department's planned operation to remove 147 tigers from the temple on Friday.

Wallop accepted the petition and promised to have the committee look into the case urgently.

However, he said wildlife should stay in forests, while conceding that this did not always work out well - as some animals died after being released.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Temple-disciples-seek-help-30258385.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-21

However, he said wildlife should stay in forests, while conceding that this did not always work out well - as some animals died after being released.

Fine words, Wallop. So what are you saying then pal?

Yes, even taking into account the Thai english press' extremely poor journalistism and reporting, that does seem a little confusing. I suspect paraphrasing is the culprit though.

I have stated before the majority of these tigers are Bengal tigers and are not indigenous to this region. They come from Northern India and Nepal. Thai tigers are of the sub species Indochina tigers. No way could any of the temple tigers be released into the wild in Thailand, they don't belong here. Most would probably die, they have no hunting skills.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that these tigers are grossly interbred with a very limited gene pool. As such they would likely be most unsiotable for sending to zoos for breeding puropses.

Maybe the best thing would be to euthanise them all as somene has suggested. They are really no use for breeding if the genes are not right. Remember the giraffe that was put down recently in a Danish zoo.No use for breeding.

I remember visiting this temple many years ago, if I remember correctly something like 17 years ago. Then there where only three young Tigers and it was pleasant to play with the Tigers. A nice visit.

I do not think the temple ever planned to breed 400 Tigers, the population must have just exploded and went out of control. Being Buddhists Monks they could of course not control the population nor kill any of the beasts, that would have been contrary to the precepts of Buddhism. A dilemma, they should have sought help from the relevant Government agencies at an early stage.

Thing is I suspect they probably did ask for help and was ignored because there was no money to make out of it from the relevant Govt. officials. Sad story for the Tigers.

I remember visiting this temple many years ago, if I remember correctly something like 17 years ago. Then there where only three young Tigers and it was pleasant to play with the Tigers. A nice visit.

I do not think the temple ever planned to breed 400 Tigers, the population must have just exploded and went out of control. Being Buddhists Monks they could of course not control the population nor kill any of the beasts, that would have been contrary to the precepts of Buddhism. A dilemma, they should have sought help from the relevant Government agencies at an early stage.

Thing is I suspect they probably did ask for help and was ignored because there was no money to make out of it from the relevant Govt. officials. Sad story for the Tigers.

"Being Buddhists Monks they could of course not control the population nor kill any of the beasts, that would have been contrary to the precepts of Buddhism."

...and that is EXACTLY, why they should never be allowed to keep animals AT ALL!

They are no zookeepers, no vetenarians, no biologists- they are MONKS!

Still their oh-so-important buddhist- believes didn't keep them from making truckloads of money with animals!

A shame overall!

• Like 1

Wow no wonder this temple was such a money maker with the likes you believing such bull. This was a greedy business run by corrupt monks who's only precept was to make as much money off these poor animals . There was lots of stuff on line about tigers being drugged for years but holiday makers and their guides turned a blind eye to this.

• Like 1

Seriously...

Keep the tiger temple open, compared to most the other zoo's here, it is probably the bets to handle all those tigers.

I would never step foot there, but I am sure if they leave the tiger temple, they might not last that long and probably be sold off to make profits.

Just leave it a lone. It is what it is.