Lamphun

DavidOxon

Hi there, forum newbie here so please be gentle with me . . .I've spent a few days browsing the site and using the search facility to try and glean info that I'd like, so, if I ask a question you've heard before, Please don't tell me that it's been asked a million times before and to go look in the search etc, as I have, and haven't found whant I need! (opps a bit bossy but been 'jumped' before!)

There seems little about Lamphun generally on the internet . . . is it a 'nice' place?

Are the locals friendly? Are there many Brits living there?

What would be the cost of a modest family sized (3 bedroom) house be?

Does it have all the mod cons that are associated with city life?

Does it have a special something that might sell it?

Sorry . vague esoteric type questions, asking for opinions here really rather more

than facts.

Many thanks

David

it a 'nice' place?

yes

Are the locals friendly?

northern people are really friendly ,i reckon

Are there many Brits living there?

sorry , i dont know

it's cheaper than chaing mai ..

Hi there, forum newbie here so please be gentle with me . . .I've spent a few days browsing the site and using the search facility to try and glean info that I'd like, so, if I ask a question you've heard before, Please don't tell me that it's been asked a million times before and to go look in the search etc, as I have, and haven't found whant I need! (opps a bit bossy but been 'jumped' before!)

There seems little about Lamphun generally on the internet . . . is it a 'nice' place?

Sorry . vague esoteric type questions, asking for opinions here really rather more

than facts.

Many thanks

David

I lived and worked in Lumphun last year. It's a nice place, but has few tourists. The locals are friendly, but most don't speak English. I personally know only one Brit who works in Lumphun, and he lives in San Patong, about 15 km away. There are plenty of rental properties, but all are Thai style. Small, with kitchens (usually) outside. Houses typically rent for 3,000 to 4,000 per month, but some can be found for as little as 2,000. Mod cons? There are no buses, or even tuk tuks in Lumphun. They do have sam lohr, those three-wheeled bicycles that tie up traffic every morning and early evening. Apart from those, people get around using song taew (sp?), the usual pickup trucks with bench seats. The song taews also make regular trips to Chiangmai, for about 15 Baht. They do have Krung Thai, and Bangkok Bank branches, and I believe they also have a Siam Commercial Bank branch. You will find that few people in these branches speak English. The best two restaurants are Lumphun Ice, and Add Up, which is located on the river. Both are air conditioned, but Add Up is brighter, and offers a view. Both also offer some farang food, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. There's also a restaurant/bar called Wooden House, that offers live music (mostly Thai, but some English songs).

There are two hospitals in town, Lumphun Hospital, and Haraipunchai Hospital. Both have English speaking docotors, and offer decent medical service. Still, if you're having surgery done, I'd consider going to Chiangmai. Long term farang residents told me they went to Chiangmai for Dental services, as well. I didn't go to any of the Lumphun dentists (for that reason), so can't say what they're like.

On Friday nights, Lumphun has a walking market, on a street closed to traffic. They also offer a food court (on Friday nights at least; not sure about Saturdays) outside Jam Fah market. It's not as nice as the Chiang Rai night market food court, but a similar style.

One advantage of Lumphun, is the almost total absence of "two-tiered" pricing. Farangs pay the Thai price for everything. You can buy a hand-tailored shirt for 450 Baht (500 Baht if you're a large size). Prices in general are cheaper than Chiangmai. You may make less money in Lumphun, but you'll spend less, as well.

Hope that helps.

:o

David,

I've been living in Lamphun for about the last 10 years, and nightowl sums it up pretty well. I don't really agree that it is cheaper than CM for a lot of the things that I want to buy, like electronic and computer stuff, but I will agree that for basic food and housing it is. Land prices and rents are a little cheaper than CM, but if you plan on building a house you can spend as much or as little as you want. And there are some things that you just cannot buy here, like Kloster beer, so I do need to make a CM run about once or twice a month. It does have that small town feel to it, and it is close enough to CM so you can take care of things there when you need to. I will also like to add that there is just about no night life to speak of, and they pretty much roll up the sidewalks at about 9 pm unless you just want to get something to eat at the night market. If you are still at the age where you like to party down, then this may not be the place for you. There are not many farangs living here, at least that I know of. I am an American, but I do know one Brit here who is a teacher at my children's primary school. I am friends with a couple of other Brits, but they live in CM. Come on down and take a look around. The living is easy.

Higgy

David,

I've been living in Lamphun for about the last 10 years, and nightowl sums it up pretty well. I don't really agree that it is cheaper than CM for a lot of the things that I want to buy, like electronic and computer stuff, but I will agree that for basic food and housing it is. Land prices and rents are a little cheaper than CM, but if you plan on building a house you can spend as much or as little as you want. And there are some things that you just cannot buy here, like Kloster beer, so I do need to make a CM run about once or twice a month. It does have that small town feel to it, and it is close enough to CM so you can take care of things there when you need to. I will also like to add that there is just about no night life to speak of, and they pretty much roll up the sidewalks at about 9 pm unless you just want to get something to eat at the night market. If you are still at the age where you like to party down, then this may not be the place for you. There are not many farangs living here, at least that I know of. I am an American, but I do know one Brit here who is a teacher at my children's primary school. I am friends with a couple of other Brits, but they live in CM. Come on down and take a look around. The living is easy.

Higgy

Yes, I'd forgotten about the price of certain things in Lumphun. Higgy is right, food, rent, and I would add, clothes, are cheaper in Lumphun. But then some things, even things as basic as an electric fan, are much higher than in CM. I suspect market owners sometimes feel they have a "captive market" in Lumphun.

And it's funny the things you can't seem to find in Lumphun. Try to find a pair of brown socks, sometime. Socks in Lumphun come in two colors: black, and white. Black, in case someone has died, and white for every other occasion.

Don't even get me started on the nightlife. Or, lack thereof. You won't find any farang owned or oriented bars in Lumphun. Not enough thirsty farangs in town to support one.

But then, you're coming to Lumphun to work, anyway. Right?

than facts.

Many thanks

David

Quite a few people working in Lamphun choose to live in Chiang Mai and commute - it's not that long a drive. The above posters have made a fair assessment of the place I think.

The superhighway between Chiang Mai and Lamphun is fast, even during 'rush hour' to the tune of 140 kph, if you have the nerve. And there's a big bus, bigger than a songtaew, that goes on the old Lamphun road. If you like small Thai towns, eat Thai food, and speak Thai, you might like living in Lamphun.

In case you are a private pilot, there are three general aviation airfields in Lamphun........

Can you obtain a pilot's license in Lumphun? Is there a school, and/or a flight instructor? Would you have to take the test in Thai?

Just curious. About 12 years ago, I was taking flight lessons. I had about 55 hours in a single engine aircraft, and another 10 hours in a glider.

In case you are a private pilot, there are three general aviation airfields in Lamphun........

Can you obtain a pilot's license in Lumphun? Is there a school, and/or a flight instructor? Would you have to take the test in Thai?

Just curious. About 12 years ago, I was taking flight lessons. I had about 55 hours in a single engine aircraft, and another 10 hours in a glider.

Chiangmai flying club has a flight school and a couple of Cessna 152's, NOK Field has just brought in a glider, but I don't know if they offer instruction.

You might consider transfering your hours over to Thailand, with 55 hours in a single engine, you got to be close to your ticket.......

Hi people,

and thanks for your prompt answers :o

The reasons for my questions are that my lovely fiance is from Lamphun

and we've been mulling over moving out there to see how we get on after we're married.

I'm not a big fan of the UK and have been livin half and half, UK and France for the last 6 years.

It had been my intention to move to France after my divorce until I re-met my G after about a

10 year gap!

After weighing up the pros and cons, there doesn't seem to be much in France for her,

her English is very good, but no French, and no Thai people in the vivinity to help her out

with a bit of 'mother tongue comfort'

So! Thailand it seems it might be.

I work freelance as a music arranger/typesetter which I should be able

to continue doing there with a decent internet connection, as I have been doing in the UK and France

which should give me at least 70,000 baht/month

and I should be able to raise around 40,000 bht/month by renting my UK flat

or selling it and investing the money.

My G/F was ground crew supervisor at Koh Samui airport before she came to the UK

for her 'adventure' and is keen to work again at CM airport if we do move out there.

I'm thinking that this should be plenty for a family to live on, we have fairly modest taste in most things.

Her mother has an unused paddyfield that we could build a house on if we wanted.

How far would 2m baht go for a 'self build' . . .any ideas how much to get electricity, water and phone comnected, I know these things can be extremely expensive in the UK?

Also . . .are cesspits the norm in rural LOS as in France?

sorry . . .a few more questions!

David

PS we're coming over in November to visit the potential outlaws . . .aaaaaaaargh!

Chiangmai flying club has a flight school and a couple of Cessna 152's, NOK Field has just brought in a glider, but I don't know if they offer instruction.

You might consider transfering your hours over to Thailand, with 55 hours in a single engine, you got to be close to your ticket.......

Yes, I was pretty close. I was about to do my solo cross country, when I just decided I really wasn't having fun. I enjoyed flying gliders more, and if you have your pilot's license (as opposed to a glider pilot's license), it's easy to add gliders as a type. Also, most of the better gliders have retractable landing gear. It was my understanding that that alone would make those gliders "complex aircraft". While it's easy to add complex aircraft as a type to your pilot's license, it's virtually impossible to add to the more restrictive glider pilot's license. I appreciate the suggestion about transfering my hours, but after a hiatus of 12 years, I'm bound to be rustier than a 12-year old Mira, and flying isn't the sort of thing you should be doing rusty. No, if I decide to go after a license again, I'd have to start from scratch. It's something to think about; I really enjoyed flying gliders. I probably won't do it, though.

Ok, sorry, back to the topic. Dave, for 2M Baht, you can build the nicest home in Lumphun. I'd wait on it, though. The reason I say that, is mainly because Thailand discourages speculation in homes. Apparently, they believe that drives up the price of homes undeservedly. And the way they achieve it is to charge a whopping 30% tax on the transfer of the title to a home that has been owned less than five years. That means, that say, after two years in Lumphun, you decide you hate it and want to move - you'll have to firstly find someone in Lumphun who wants to spend 2M Baht for a home (basically, no one; that's the problem with having the nicest home.) So, you'll reduce your price. Let's say, 1.5M Baht. There are some nice homes in Lumphun, it's possible you could find someone to pay 1.5M for a 2M Baht home. But then, you'll have to pay 500,000 Baht (roughly) to transfer the title. See the problem?

If I were you, I would look in the Hang Dong area for a house to rent. Hang Dong is about 25 km from Lumphun, and about 15 km from Chiangmai. Hang Dong is also close to the airport (that might make a difference to your gf), and has lots of farangs, plus, lots of very nice homes for rent. (Trust me, you can't afford to rent the nicest home for rent in Hang Dong.) This way, you'd be close to your gf's family, but not so close they'd just "pop by". You could rent a nice house, and take your time about seeing where you want to buy/build. An added benefit, is you'd be closer to Chiangmai, which is convenient for shopping, medical services, immigration, etc., etc.

Just a suggestion.

:D

Thankyou, that's very helpful advice.

Having never been to Asia, I'm trying to get my 'dream' into some

kind of realistic perspective. The less I have to spend on a house, the better!

I quite fancy the old paddy field idea though as I love growing veggies

(Have an allotment here and veggie garden in France) and there's a ready

water supply from the canal.

My GF also says there are lots of edible crabs out there too!

I suppose once I get out there I can get a better feel for

cost of living and whether or not I have enough provision for it!

I'd really like to live by the sea, but that's something that's been compromised out

by the promise of cheap flights to Phuket from CM. or until Burma

becomes a free and open border and safe to go to the beach on!

BTW are there 'nice' (sorry, can't think of a suitable adjective) brits out there,

or just the one's that are there for the bargirls?

David

David

Edited by David Ball

Before building in Lamphun, or even Hang Dong, I'd talk to locals to see if the property floods (especially paddy fields).

Yes, that's a good point as well. This area was hard hit last year in the rainy season. Some homes were particularly hard hit; and you can't tell which ones, if you only look at them in the dry or cool seasons.

Random comments, in no particular order :-

While it is fun to 'grow-your-own', local produce is not expensive, by farang-standards.

I'd agree that renting for a year or two, until you decide where to buy (in GF's name) and what to build, is a very good idea. Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread, etcetera. Also close-proximity to the family can be a mixed-blessing.

Good internet access can be problematical, even in CM, let alone outside.

While there are bars of all sorts in CM, most such tourists tend to head for Pattaya/Phuket/Samui, so up here gets a more balanced range of farangs. You can see, or avoid, all of life's rich pageant !

Farang food (Rimping) or restaurants will require regular visits to CM, but the range is constantly increasing, make a visit when you're up here, so you can see for yourself.

Also pick up, in local hotels or tourist-related businesses, a copy of one of the several local-maps/businesses/events magazines, for background.

I have found Lamphun to be a pretty good compromise between the crowded, but more exciting, big city and the solitude of living in the country. This is a very good place for riding a bicycle, as the traffic is pretty light, except for the starting/quiting times of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, and almost everything you will need, if you can drink cheap Thai beer and don't wear brown socks, is within a couple of miles. There are daily buses running between Lamphun and Chiangmai from 6 am to 9pm, I believe those times are still current, and I have been told that there is also a free daily shuttle bus that runs between the Queen Chamadevi monument and Big C, one of the "superstores" in Chiangmai, although I have not personally taken it. I have even found my adsl internet connection to be pretty good, but that may be because I don't spend all day and night downloading bittorrents. Higgy

Yeah, I also thought Lumphun was an OK place to live.

When I first arrived, I didn't have a car, or even a motorcycle (now, I have both), and walked everywhere I went. Sometimes, people I knew would call out to me, as I was passing. Odd, how those small things linger in your memory. Particularly, since it so seldom happened (read: never) in the city (over a million people) that I came from.

I've never taken the bus to Big "C" either (I have taken the Song Taews, and big clunky blue and white busses; they're all right); it's my understanding that the bus is free, because Big "C" is so far from the center of town. So, you're not really getting a "free ride" to Chiangmai - because the tuk tuk fare from Big C to Chiangmai, will be more than the fare for the SongTaew to Chiangmai.

Nice post. What is a "bittorrents", again?

Edited by niteowl

nightowl,

I've actually never been to the wooden house although I've passed it by many times. I moved here after living in Chiangmai for about 3 years when I married a local Lamphun girl. Our favorite place was Lamphun Ice. Nice, quiet, and cozy, and of course the food was good. Then there were kids and that place is just not suited for young children. Our favorite place now is Add Up along the river. I would like to add that it was usually a kiss of death if I took a fancy to a restaurant, as it seemed like within a couple of months they were gone. The cheap noodle stands are all still there though.

Bittorrents is a very good way of downloading very large files, and is mainly used here to download movies, TV shows, music etc, for free of course, but it does use a lot of bandwidth. I am definately not an expert on this, so if you are interested in checking it out you may want to head to the Thai Visa computer and internet forum where the computer gurus hang out. A Brit friend has been downloading just about every Brit TV show that has ever been broadcast, so David, if you come on over and are looking for something to watch from the good old days of British television, he lives on Hang Dong Road south of San Patong, in Chiangmai, about a 30 minute drive from my house.

Higgy

• 2 years later...

Are you 100% positive about this? There are 3 airfields here? I've been here for a month and have not seen 1 civil aircraft.

Where are these fields located? I am a private pilot and would love to check it out.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

nightowl,

I've actually never been to the wooden house although I've passed it by many times. I moved here after living in Chiangmai for about 3 years when I married a local Lamphun girl. Our favorite place was Lamphun Ice. Nice, quiet, and cozy, and of course the food was good. Then there were kids and that place is just not suited for young children. Our favorite place now is Add Up along the river. I would like to add that it was usually a kiss of death if I took a fancy to a restaurant, as it seemed like within a couple of months they were gone. The cheap noodle stands are all still there though.

Bittorrents is a very good way of downloading very large files, and is mainly used here to download movies, TV shows, music etc, for free of course, but it does use a lot of bandwidth. I am definately not an expert on this, so if you are interested in checking it out you may want to head to the Thai Visa computer and internet forum where the computer gurus hang out. A Brit friend has been downloading just about every Brit TV show that has ever been broadcast, so David, if you come on over and are looking for something to watch from the good old days of British television, he lives on Hang Dong Road south of San Patong, in Chiangmai, about a 30 minute drive from my house.

Higgy

I am a retired American and have lived in Chiang Mai (this December) for six years. I am older now and thinking about a quieter and less hectic life than Chiang Mai offers. I have visited Lamphun only once about three years ago with a Thai friend. We spent most of our time walking around the park that has the big statue of their past queen. Tom, my friend, grew up in Lamphun and I got a very good history lesson as well as finding the little bit we saw of the city very comforting. As you can see I am a "newbie" here and would appreciate any additional information that anyone would care to offer. I would only be looking for a long term furnished rental (year to year lease) and am I am happily foot bound Thank you..

Lampun

There is a little estate of "houses from the king" on the way in from San Patong, 2up, 2 down for 390,000bht

I believe you can move in for 2,000bht and pay 2,000bht a month (forever .... well your gf could)

Not many people have mentioned it's a factory town, for those of you that don't know the factories only employ ladies.

So the population is about 10:1 females to guys, on Fridays and Saturdays, that's a lot of females out on the lookout.

My pals sometimes go up there to get laid ..... no payment required.

Nothing else to do there, but it' not too far from ChiangMai so you might not go completely insane.

Nice restaurants near the river just beyond the train station.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Lampun

There is a little estate of "houses from the king" on the way in from San Patong, 2up, 2 down for 390,000bht

I believe you can move in for 2,000bht and pay 2,000bht a month (forever .... well your gf could)

Not many people have mentioned it's a factory town, for those of you that don't know the factories only employ ladies.

So the population is about 10:1 females to guys, on Fridays and Saturdays, that's a lot of females out on the lookout.

My pals sometimes go up there to get laid ..... no payment required.

Nothing else to do there, but it' not too far from ChiangMai so you might not go completely insane.

Nice restaurants near the river just beyond the train station.

Your giving away trade. secrets.:lol:

It's of topic but I thought I'd answer this for you. Yes you can learn to fly or convert a foreign license to fly here. There is a pretty big general aviation community in Thailand. Relatively speaking, it's not all that expensive here. I haven't got around to trying it yet so I can't give any details on how it works but here are a couple links for you.

cr

http://www.nokaviation.com/

http://www.thai-airpark.com/

Stone me! This is a thread from history..... Jumps from 2006 to 2009 and then one today.

Lamphun has probably changed out of all recognition since 2006 - I'd take a bus down there and have another look round if I were you.

Yes, this thread is 4 years old.

Last I heard Lamphun had been dismantled, resurrected somewhere in the outskirts of Bangkok and renamed, New London. They replaced the town with a retirement home for aging farangs.

David Oxen became disenchanted with Lamphun, met and married a beautiful Thai actress, had 7 kids and moved to Sweden.

Edited by Beetlejuice