Thai opinion: A few tips for the new American ambassador

webfact

Did he threaten to kill news reporters? I fear we are going off topic. Should we stick to the previous regime and the ambassadors role relating to it or if you want to go back in time how far should we go? I find it difficult to talk to you though because you can say all you want about previous administrations and I can't mention the current one. Hardly seems a fair debate.

I have a point of view. The American ambassador should keep his mouth shut and take care of problems that arise between Thailand and American citizens.

I don't think he should be involved in previous administrations or the current administration that is Thailand business.

I remember when the Kittyhawk came to Thailand and volunteered to help. Thailand turned them down. I remember when they asked for some runway time or something for a NASA program and Thailand turned them down. That's two strikes. I'd forget about Thailand as an ally and take care of the Americans who are here and have problems.

If Thailand wants to jump on board the China boat so be it. The reporter guy said the same thing. He thinks China and the USA are the same and can be trusted the same. OK that's one point of view. He is nuts of course but that is his point of view. Let em try it.

You are, I assume, American. You should know that many Europeans are deeply sceptical of US foreign policy and dislike US arrogance and assumptions of American exceptionalism - so yes, "let's all try it".

I agree with you 100%. The USA foots 73% of the bills for NATO and they don't even have a country in Europe. Time you guys stood on your own two feet. USA pull out of NATO tomorrow, I say. What do you think? Time to start paying for your own defense. Nothing to worry about from the Russians and Chinese anyway.

Although I must admit many Americans are deeply skeptical (to use your words) at Europe's ability to defend themselves.

What do you think? Willing to give up a few vacation days so America does not have to spend taxpayer money on a Europe who don't like them anyway.

Absolutely, if I had anything to do with it. That way you will have more money to dole out to your "real" allies like Saudi Arabia and Israel.

I agree with that except I would not give a cent to Israel or Saudi Arabia. America never had any colonies in the Middle East. Let the countries who had the colonies and drew the boundaries wrong take care of the problem.

• Like 2

Did he threaten to kill news reporters? I fear we are going off topic. Should we stick to the previous regime and the ambassadors role relating to it or if you want to go back in time how far should we go? I find it difficult to talk to you though because you can say all you want about previous administrations and I can't mention the current one. Hardly seems a fair debate.

I have a point of view. The American ambassador should keep his mouth shut and take care of problems that arise between Thailand and American citizens.

I don't think he should be involved in previous administrations or the current administration that is Thailand business.

I remember when the Kittyhawk came to Thailand and volunteered to help. Thailand turned them down. I remember when they asked for some runway time or something for a NASA program and Thailand turned them down. That's two strikes. I'd forget about Thailand as an ally and take care of the Americans who are here and have problems.

If Thailand wants to jump on board the China boat so be it. The reporter guy said the same thing. He thinks China and the USA are the same and can be trusted the same. OK that's one point of view. He is nuts of course but that is his point of view. Let em try it.

You are, I assume, American. You should know that many Europeans are deeply sceptical of US foreign policy and dislike US arrogance and assumptions of American exceptionalism - so yes, "let's all try it".

US arrogance???

Have you listened to your self lately?

Since WW II Europe's concept of foreign policy is to let foreigners ( USA ) foot the bills to protect the European nations.

Europe learned some harsh lessons in the past.

English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch governments attempted to conquer, colonize and exploit the world.

In fact, all five attempted it in what is now the USA..

They were all sent home with their tails between their legs.

All of Europe was devastated by Germany in WW II and without the aid of USA, all would be speaking German today.

Europe has learned the hard way that the best foreign for them policy is to stay home, mind your own business and count on others to protect you.

The US is still a young country..they are still lerning this lesson.

Who is going to protect your sorry <deleted> when Americans do learn to stay home and let you take care of yourselves?

As stated in another post, America pay more than 70% of the cost to protect Europe.

Are you ready to start paying your fair share yet?

Arrogent indeed!

Well, this conversation went off the rails.

Have we concluded that this is supposed to be satirical? I'm still in that camp, personally. I can't imagine this being anyone's actual message to the Ambassador.

The guy comes from a job in North Korea and is used to enemies of the USA hating him. What he is probably not used to is allies hating him. He just needs to read Thai Visa for a while to understand how the country that you give all the money too still does not like you.

Do you have any idea how much money America has spent on Thailand? It is mind boggling. Not as much as Europe (120 billion in today's dollars reconstruction after WW2) of course but still mind boggling.

Edited by lostoday

Interesting but here is how it is. Each Ambassador that we dispatch to a country has an agenda from the White House. That is what they will follow. Our intelligence agencies are far more informed on your government and what is going on than you will ever be and asserting whatever influence that will benefit the U.S. and our citizens living there. They don't teach you this in your class but having worked as a government attorney early in my career I can tell you this is the case.

Have we concluded that this is supposed to be satirical? I'm still in that camp, personally. I can't imagine this being anyone's actual message to the Ambassador.

You and me both. It appears to have gone stratospheric here though.

The guy comes from a job in North Korea and is used to enemies of the USA hating him. What he is probably not used to is allies hating him. He just needs to read Thai Visa for a while to understand how the country that you give all the money too still does not like you.

Do you have any idea how much money America has spent on Thailand? It is mind boggling. Not as much as Europe (120 billion in today's dollars reconstruction after WW2) of course but still mind boggling.

I don't know the number, but I'm pretty sure it's a pittance compared to what has been spent on other nations. Thailand is still just a blip on the radar for the US. They have bigger fish to fry.

I do think Thailand is a little closer to the spotlight because of what has happened in the past few years, but I still wouldn't say it is a big priority for the states. Might be moving up in the rankings as time goes on and the US starts to focus more on Asia, though. We shall see.

This is a REAL ambassador, not a dilettante that gave large monies to the presidential election committee. I personally am worried why the American sent such an experienced man.

This thought crossed my mind as well. We're not talking about some Assistant to the Grand Poobah that "moved up" to Ambassador. He's definitely got more credentials than I would have expected.

I don't know the number, but I'm pretty sure it's a pittance compared to what has been spent on other nations. Thailand is still just a blip on the radar for the US. They have bigger fish to fry.

I do think Thailand is a little closer to the spotlight because of what has happened in the past few years, but I still wouldn't say it is a big priority for the states. Might be moving up in the rankings as time goes on and the US starts to focus more on Asia, though. We shall see.

USA had 100,000 soldiers stationed in Thailand for 10 years and built airports, hospitals, schools, communication systems, roads, deep water ports and the list just goes on and on.

Although today the USA gives Russia and China a lot more foreign aid money than Thailand that's not how it used to be.

Top aid money provided by USA

Colombia $461.2m

Mexico $316.7m

Egypt $255.7m

Philippines $128.2m

India $126.6m

Russia $71.5m

China $27.2m

Brazil $25m

Thailand $16.75m

Turkey $8.2m

One big important point to remember is that you are the Ambassador of the United States, not all of America, which contains many other countries with opinions that differ from those of your government!

Like he doesn't know what country he works for.

Guess you think he's a moron.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This man has experience in North Korea, think he doesn't need advise from a high school grade journalist..

"a high school grade journalist" Stop heaping praise on the author of this diatribe (divisive commentary?), who I though was about 10 years old. A cadet journalist maybe?

A cadet journalist? Not even close. A 10 years old retard, surely.

I am so so happy that this article was written today , because I realized when i woke up that i was out of toilet paper.

This comment reminds me of this hitorical response to someone's letter:

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house with your letter in front of me. Soon it will be behind me!"

"..welcome to Thailand, where your peace of mind will be closely associated with your ability to detach yourself from its unique quest for peace."

A Buddhist strategy...? Might just work (along with plenty of meditation at WPK).