Phuket officials seize 34 items from Bang Tao Beach

webfact

Phuket officials seize 34 items from Bang Tao Beach
Eakkapop Thongtub

1429675682_1-org.jpg
Officials seize the 34 items from Bang Tao Beach.

PHUKET: -- Police and local district officials yesterday (April 21) seized 34 items including chairs, tables and umbrellas from Bang Tao Beach. The owner of the items is currently being sought by officials.

At 11am, under the command of Thalang District Chief, Veera Kerdsirimongkul and Cherng Talay OrBorTor Chief, Ma'an Samran, twenty volunteers and police swept Bang Tao Beach for any remaining signs of beach encroachment.

During the swoop, officials found six tables, 18 chairs and 10 umbrellas placed on a prohibited zone.

Officials questioned people who were near the items in hope of catching the owner and prosecuting them for encroachment of public land.

However, one man, Pairoj Sithidej, when asked, simply replied, “I don't know who owns those items.”

All of the items were taken to OrBorTor Cherng Talay.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-seize-34-items-from-bang-tao-beach-51974.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-22

Serious enough to warrant a four finger point.

Yes it is that serious... Thailand can in no way continue its course of the past. Many Thai's think they can do what ever they like and when caught just wai and say "khortot", and then all is forgiven. At the moment it's a clean house strategy from top to bottom that the government is doing. Look at the headlines: Bonanza, former DSI Cheif Tarit, Kho Samui and Kho Tao, all the way to Puckett's beaches and illegal street vendors in Bangkok, National Park land encroachments, illegal logging and human trafficking... Just to name a few. The current government isn't joking around.

Edited by Local Drunk

Pairoj Sithidej has lied...

Yes he did. I actually need a few tables and chairs, I wonder if the mayor will sell these cheap to me, or even cheaper back to the owner?

Let's offer him 4,000 baht cash, sight unseen for the lot, in a public deal that goes towards the restoration of the beach. I doubt that he could resist the publicity. wink.png

Edited by Local Drunk

I think table, chairs and sunbeds on the beaches are great! Just regulate them properly and don't let them feed the corrupt local officials. Put the revenues to good use by cleaning up the beaches, etc.

The questions are... should the beaches be allowed to return to their natural pristine condition or should the beaches suffer the damage of human interest's as a policy repaired preservation? It's the former question that I agree with, and I will tell you why as well. You may enjoy the comfort of a lounge and a table on the beach, but that's in your interest and not the interest of preserving the beach. As long as litter and damage to the beach have to be maintained according to the numbers of people using the beach, then the beach is at peril. It will never happen... Most Thai's haven got a clue, and most farangs don't give a damn. It's not they back yard.

Edited by Local Drunk

I think table, chairs and sunbeds on the beaches are great! Just regulate them properly and don't let them feed the corrupt local officials. Put the revenues to good use by cleaning up the beaches, etc.

All well & good but it all boils down to the old give them an inch & they will take a mile. Take Surin for example. 20years ago it was idyllic with just a few thatched huts by the beach where you could get something to eat & drink. I loved stopping by there. I do not recall if it was before or after the tsunami when it started getting out of hand but whenever it happened the local authorities must have been complicit so why don't we hear about them being charged.

What about Nai Yang? Buildings were torn down & quickly replaced. Why is that private enterprise can operate basically on the beach similar to the one block in Patong. The beachside should have unobstructed views.

The questions are... should the beaches be allowed to return to their natural pristine condition or should the beaches suffer the damage of human interest's as a policy repaired preservation? It's the former question that I agree with, and I will tell you why as well. You may enjoy the comfort of a lounge and a table on the beach, but that's in your interest and not the interest of preserving the beach. As long as litter and damage to the beach have to be maintained according to the numbers of people using the beach, then the beach is at peril. It will never happen... Most Thai's haven got a clue, and most farangs don't give a damn. It's not they back yard.

Excellent points. But I think a balance can be made? It was out of control until recently, mainly due to corruption. But surely there's a way to handle both? Many places are able to maintain this balance. Perhaps have a section for table and chairs and another that's left empty? Along with a mandated clean up?

All well & good but it all boils down to the old give them an inch & they will take a mile. Take Surin for example. 20years ago it was idyllic with just a few thatched huts by the beach where you could get something to eat & drink. I loved stopping by there. I do not recall if it was before or after the tsunami when it started getting out of hand but whenever it happened the local authorities must have been complicit so why don't we hear about them being charged.

What about Nai Yang? Buildings were torn down & quickly replaced. Why is that private enterprise can operate basically on the beach similar to the one block in Patong. The beachside should have unobstructed views.

Unfortunately, the world is growing rapidly, and mass travel has hit us big time. Areas that were previously remote and pristine are no longer like that any more. Need to figure out a way to deal with the tourists as well as protect the beauty. No an easy thing to do!

wai2.gif

Excellent points. But I think a balance can be made? It was out of control until recently, mainly due to corruption. But surely there's a way to handle both? Many places are able to maintain this balance. Perhaps have a section for table and chairs and another that's left empty? Along with a mandated clean up?

Wishful thinking. Money to be made = ends up no section left empty. Problem is that there is soon no space left for anyone with towel allowed to lie on the sand. They were all chased away by the vendors if they would not rent a chair. And all authorities will turn a blind eye as they get a chunk of the money.

I don't understand you. How come beaches in places like Brasil (where the beaches are much nicer than Thailand) manage to survive with sunbeds, parasols and people coming along the beach selling pancakes or Caipirinha? Maldives, Spain, Greece and so on, you can rent a sunbed and some shade and yet the World still spins around

Yes it is that serious... Thailand can in no way continue its course of the past. Many Thai's think they can do what ever they like and when caught just wai and say "khortot", and then all is forgiven. At the moment it's a clean house strategy from top to bottom that the government is doing. Look at the headlines: Bonanza, former DSI Cheif Tarit, Kho Samui and Kho Tao, all the way to Puckett's beaches and illegal street vendors in Bangkok, National Park land encroachments, illegal logging and human trafficking... Just to name a few. The current government isn't joking around.

That's a lot of progress ... how many actual arrests and how many actually imprisoned for their crimes I wonder as this appears to be the missing factor.

I assume the guy in green is the complainant. Probably works in hotel security for one of the nearby luxury resorts. He could use a few months away from the buffet line.

I think that might be the Or Bor Jor chief.... Ma'an Samran Edited by lemonjelly

Of all the laws and rules that are ignored and never enforced, I find it perplexing this one is apparently being enforced.

WHY??

Please don't respond with the Junta is changing things for the better, this is disproved by their neglect and empty talk on some very serious issues.

Anyone in Phuket care to enlighten us on what is going on here?

I counted more than 70 items on kamala Beach. I hope we're next for getting this crap off the beach. Interesting that no one ever knows who owns it. How about a surprise inspection? With handcuffs.

The beaches have to be patrolled on say, a weekly basis and the officials need to rotated so they can't be bribed. The encroachment constantly creeps back on the beach.

That's a lot of progress ... how many actual arrests and how many actually imprisoned for their crimes I wonder as this appears to be the missing factor.

I couldn't tell you the arrests numbers... but there are quite a few people missing bars, resorts and houses illegally built on government property and that is a lot more that any previous has done to curb this type of corruption.

Not to mention bulldozing the bottom story out of a 13 level hotel in Pattaya. That won't do it's bookings any good.

In many countries your suggestion would be easy accomplished and welcomed. I can't see it can happen here. The corruption is still there. I don't really want to see people go to prison or jail over a few beach chairs, but somebody who builds a resort illegally, and government officials who approved it should spend a bit of time behind bars. How about this: for every government official and developer, or local mafia chieftain, that is sent to prison for land encroachment they can have 1 table, 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs and 1 beach umbrella for their beach which will be taxed by the government at the rate of 100 B per day, per table, chair, lounge and umbrella. It wouldn't be a local tax because it isn't their property. It belongs to the whole nation, they could pay it to the National Parks who would regulate it and use the funds to stop the illegal trafficking of endangered species or whatever.

Wishful thinking. Money to be made = ends up no section left empty. Problem is that there is soon no space left for anyone with towel allowed to lie on the sand. They were all chased away by the vendors if they would not rent a chair. And all authorities will turn a blind eye as they get a chunk of the money.

You nailed it. Give them an inch...

And that sums up the uncontrolled greed and abuse of power that has been happening here for years.

My concern is, with the revenue lost from such lucrative beach encroachment, will they will now take a bigger cut out of critical infastructure to make up their short fall?

I live in Bang Saray which has a nice beach and easy parking. At 72 I find it difficult to sit on a mat on the sand for any length of time. Surely some provision could be made for old gets?

I'm only 57 and feel the same way! That's why I always have in my trunk 2 folding camping chairs, with straight backs. I love them....