beggars/homeless people in thailand and how are they treated

Howitzer

The Pm is planning to get rid of the following beggars, children, immigrants & other non-impaired people but allowing for example the blind to still ask for donations. This may reduce the gangs impact on things but still even the blind will or are being used by the same thugs. Thais actually do care about these people my GF often gives to them & small charities. There was a guy going through the rubbish looking for recyclables & eating OMG what ever he found as well.....my GF went & bought some food & left it on the next bin for him. She did not give directly because he might lose face she said, he was not a beggar but she felt for him......so did I for that matter.

• Like 1

"You know nothing about Thai Culture" = the ultimate reply by those who cannot defend practices with any logical explanation. Helping someone on the street is a personal choice, fortunately I find there aren't that many in Thailand due to the amazingly low unemployment rate. The ones that are there are often professionals run by gangs but what is government but a bigger gang? Personally I don't give money to anyone who shakes a cup at me or has a baby and usually I give to blind people because I think they have it worse. I have noticed that Thais will walk right by the local glue sniffer as if he isn't there. I give him food only, no money for more glue. Cheers.

• Like 1

Thai people will leave food and drink for there gods, Cause a spirit needs to be fed and watered. Homeless people get nothing.

So true. I bet millions are spent every year on insence alone. Shame no one sees that money could have a greater purpose. I hate religion.

Thai people will leave food and drink for there gods, Cause a spirit needs to be fed and watered. Homeless people get nothing.

So true. I bet millions are spent every year on insence alone. Shame no one sees that money could have a greater purpose. I hate religion.

I am not overly religious, but neither do I "hate" religion. If I did, I certainly wouldn't spend time in a country where the vast majority of the population are devout to their faith.

• Like 1

I've seen Thai people give money to beggars, think it's the same as any country. It's a numbers game like anything, a few hundred people walk past, 1 will give money.

If I have anything spare I will give, especially the ladies holding a baby, get's me every-time.

In a lot of cases, the ladies rent the baby, and it is drugged in some way to keep it sleeping.

"I know every country in the world has such people but how are they treated like in Thailand? Do homeless people in western countries fare better?"

Western countries have social security. Were I come from every citizen is entitled to 1k a month, a room at the homeless shelter and 1 warm meal per day. As far as I know the Thai government does not provide social security. The mentioned food and shelter is mostly only accessible through Temples or other non-profit organizations.

Thai people ARE more compassionate towards these people but they simply don't have the logistics to help those in need.

Thai people are NOT more compassionate than people in other countries. Some help, most do not. I think if you spend more time in Buddhist countries you will see the difference.

Buddhism is an individualistic religion stressing the saving of oneself through meritorious deeds. Those deeds specifically are for ones ancestors and monks, everyone else comes a distant second. Most Westerners hate hearing that because they have convinced themselves that Buddhism is this magical religion (yes, religion) whose believers can do no wrong.

The sad reality is for many Buddhists the poor are poor because of something they did in a past life and that's just how it is.

It is amazing how many farangs, even living here permanently, do not have idea about Buddhism and the work of monks and temples do to help people in need. Sure, like in most world's religions, some people use it to get money. Those few are not an example of others and not represent its religion, but Buddhism is the most given religion of all. Beggars and homeless people can be seeing in most big cities, in any country. In Thailand, in BK for sure and some tourist spots, but not in Chiang Mai, that it is a big tourist city. There are a lot of private philanthropic institutions in Thailand assisting the homeless and the sick, most related with Buddhism practices, and many supported by the Government too.

Homeless people is not a problem in Thailand, and if you do not agree because saw some around, and you think that is not a problem in your country, probably you are an American believing what the TV news shows.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2

The greatest bunch of beggars are treated with immense respect and wear a sort of yellowish coat...you can see them every morning and they make a hell lot of money...and even get food for free...some even made enough to buy a plane....

The colour is Saffron, not yellowish....!

Thanks for the enlightenment...

• Like 1

"I know every country in the world has such people but how are they treated like in Thailand? Do homeless people in western countries fare better?"

Western countries have social security. Were I come from every citizen is entitled to 1k a month, a room at the homeless shelter and 1 warm meal per day. As far as I know the Thai government does not provide social security. The mentioned food and shelter is mostly only accessible through Temples or other non-profit organizations.

Thai people ARE more compassionate towards these people but they simply don't have the logistics to help those in need.

I would add that welfare in many areas is contingent on an address and so many homeless can't collect.

Mental illness is a huge issue for many homeless and they refuse the help offered.

I think because Social security doesn't exist in Thailand, that Thais are more likely to give to beggars.

Homeless or mentally sick in Europe means you're disgusted as a bum and locked away from society.

Usually forever.

Not in Canada and the States. There are lots of home less people. In Seattle they even had camps. That would be allowed to stay at a location and then move on. Various organizations would take up food collections for the camps. Not sure if that is still happening. In the abandoned underground tunnels in New York their are thousands of them. Not all Homeless people are not all mentally sick. In the town of 100,000 I came from in Canada they had people who were homeless by choice. When housing was made available they refused it.

It is amazing how many farangs, even living here permanently, do not have idea about Buddhism and the work of monks and temples do to help people in need. Sure, like in most world's religions, some people use it to get money. Those few are not an example of others and not represent its religion, but Buddhism is the most given religion of all. Beggars and homeless people can be seeing in most big cities, in any country. In Thailand, in BK for sure and some tourist spots, but not in Chiang Mai, that it is a big tourist city. There are a lot of private philanthropic institutions in Thailand assisting the homeless and the sick, most related with Buddhism practices, and many supported by the Government too.

Homeless people is not a problem in Thailand, and if you do not agree because saw some around, and you think that is not a problem in your country, probably you are an American believing what the TV news shows.

I am not talking about real Buddhists I talk about the institution...same as the Christian church.i believe strongly in God and Jesus Christ but hate the church....same as the SAFFRON coated beggars here...haven't seen much good they are doing...

Stayed at Dynasty in Nana a few times. There was this woman who would sit and beg off to the right side of the entrance, would wai all passersby with this expression that made her look miserable, and looked like she had only one tooth. One day I saw her when she first arrived, early for her shift. Another woman worked that spot in the daytime. She looked like any other normal respectable Thai woman on the street, hadn't put her ragged outfit on yet. She saw that I recognized her, and gave me one of those looks that could kill. Haven't been around there in over ten years, maybe she's still there.

Sometimes ladyboys will borrow (or rent) babies and go out begging using the kid as a prop.

Edited by bendejo

I've seen Thai people give money to beggars, think it's the same as any country. It's a numbers game like anything, a few hundred people walk past, 1 will give money.

If I have anything spare I will give, especially the ladies holding a baby, get's me every-time.

Be careful to give to women holding a baby or small kid , it might not be their own and even if it is you would not want to encourage them to beg with a kid.

The other day i was sitting in a taxi waiting at a very busy intersection and a woman came up to every car holding a small baby asking for money. This sort of behaviour should not be encouraged.

Many beggars use small kids, cute (drugged) animals or whatever to get sympathy from people, don't fall for it.

I am not at all saying you should not give to beggars but over the years i have learned how to distinguish between the "professional beggars" and people in real need.

You'll get German Hartz IV only if you have a permanent residence where they can hassle you.

Homeless people don't have a permanent residence.

A permanent residence is an absolute must in Germany, for everything.

You can be fined or jailed for not having one.

I see very little of the virtue that I call "compassion" in Thailand. It seems that life is hard enough that most feel that "I am surviving without begging, why can't you?" The same basic flaw of Republican economic theory in the United States. "Buddhist Compassion" is a sham and a lie. Thais are among the cruelest people in the world. But, then I'm a soft hearted liberal, so my opinion doesn't count.

• Like 2

I think you will find that Thai's have a lot more compassion to these people than you seem to have shown to any of them !

Have to agree....."Thank God he wasn't standing near where I was seated",... Jeeeeeeeez

• Like 1

I would add that welfare in many areas is contingent on an address and so many homeless can't collect.

Mental illness is a huge issue for many homeless and they refuse the help offered.

I think because Social security doesn't exist in Thailand, that Thais are more likely to give to beggars.

Homeless or mentally sick in Europe means you're disgusted as a bum and locked away from society.

Usually forever.

Not in Canada and the States. There are lots of home less people. In Seattle they even had camps. That would be allowed to stay at a location and then move on. Various organizations would take up food collections for the camps. Not sure if that is still happening. In the abandoned underground tunnels in New York their are thousands of them. Not all Homeless people are not all mentally sick. In the town of 100,000 I came from in Canada they had people who were homeless by choice. When housing was made available they refused it.

I didn't say all homeless have mental health issues, just many of them.

You are absolutely right about people refusing shelter, but that doesn't make their homelessness voluntary.

Makes them a little bit afraid of gov't and outsiders

I give. The idea that I'm walking by a woman and baby child in 100*+ heat. It doesn't matter to me where the money train is headed.

It is normal, after I give something, when I return on the same route very short time after, they are no longer being heated by city streets. . .because they aren't where I last saw them.

I make donations to our local county jail, also. Not always having an aquaintance behind bars either. My late friend Peter and early death, he and his family (he was the baby.) Spent the first several years of his life in Nazi occupied Holland. He only had one story that he would share with me. Also he told me I was the only one who knew he was a Jew. He always told me (we have beggars USA too) G you're a good man and you know enough to give. Give until it hurts, Then give more. If it hurts you must be doing some good. Amen

"The relative velocities of part and whole determine whether the part is retarded by the inertia of the whole or is carried forward by the momentum of the cosmic brotherhood."

Edited by nithisa78
  • Like 1

I give. The idea that I'm walking by a woman and baby child in 100*+ heat. It doesn't matter to me where the money train is headed.

It is normal, after I give something, when I return on the same route very short time after, they are no longer being heated by city streets. . .because they aren't where I last saw them.

I make donations to our local county jail, also. Not always having an aquaintance behind bars either. My late friend Peter and early death, he and his family (he was the baby.) Spent the first several years of his life in Nazi occupied Holland. He only had one story that he would share with me. Also he told me I was the only one who knew he was a Jew. He always told me (we have beggars USA too) G you're a good man and you know enough to give. Give until it hurts, Then give more. If it hurts you must be doing some good. Amen

"The relative velocities of part and whole determine whether the part is retarded by the inertia of the whole or is carried forward by the momentum of the cosmic brotherhood."

Interesting take on things mate. I was just wondering if you have ever had heard of the Nigerian 419 scam. Variants of it are emails sent to gullible Westerners asking for financial assistance for orphaned children, emergency surgery, etc. On the off chance you are not familiar with this scam, please feel free to PM me your email address....I just might be able to rustle up an offer you can't refuse from the Bank of Burkina Faso wink.png

post-235915-0-35053600-1429788774_thumb.

Edited by MuayThai 4U
  • Like 1

I think you will find that Thai's have a lot more compassion to these people than you seem to have shown to any of them !

Serious? I didn't see any thai buy anything from them or give any money to them or house any of them.

In the non-tourist areas, i have observed Thais giving money to homeless regularly.

In the tourist areas, i don't see Thais giving anything. As my GF once said, "he makes more than me!" He was a disabled guy sitting on Sukhumvit Road drinking a beer and gambling (while trying to beg).

You have probably seen him near Soi 4. He locates himself outside the huuge pharmacy there.

Edited by ChrisB87

The greatest bunch of beggars are treated with immense respect and wear a sort of yellowish coat...you can see them every morning and they make a hell lot of money...and even get food for free...some even made enough to buy a plane....

Well...Directors of some philanthropic and non-profit organizations makes very good money, but at the same time makes very good work helping people in need. Looking in that way, if not most of the money goes for good causes, some do, and that it is better than nothing.

Monks and temples are in the same range.... and most of monks beggars are people choosing the temple's life and not the street's life. Temple's work is important in many ways, some more than others, but that's life...generalization is bad.

Gave 20b to a 'blind' man singing once while his wife lead him along, he turned the corner, I did 20 seconds later, he was getting into his tuk-tuk, his wife in the back, he did a u-turn and drove off.

Last time I ever gave money to a Thai that asked for some.

Gave 20b to a 'blind' man singing once while his wife lead him along, he turned the corner, I did 20 seconds later, he was getting into his tuk-tuk, his wife in the back, he did a u-turn and drove off.

Last time I ever gave money to a Thai that asked for some.

Because, just like every other country, if one is bad, then they all must be?