Bangkok braces for imminent tropical storm beginning today

webfact

Bangkok braces for imminent tropical storm beginning today

22-4-2558-13-30-55-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is bracing for expected tropical storm beginning today after the Meteorological Department issued its latest warning of thunderstorms in the northern, northeastern, eastern and central regions beginning today.

BMA officials said workers have cleared all sewer drains of garbages to facilitate water flow and water pumps have been installed at various low lying places to get ready for the rainstorms expected in the capital and surrounding places from today.

Officials are also deployed at district offices to provide assistance around the clock.

Latest report at noon today said tropical storm brought down more than 20 power poles in Pattaya, causing damages to several vehicles.

The Meteorological Department forecast possible scattered thunderstorms tomorrow in Bangkok and adjacent provinces and warned people to keep off huge billboards, big trees and other unstable structures as torrential storms are expected.

It also warned of torrential storms in Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Tak, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Mahasarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Buri Ram, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Amnart Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Sawan, Looburi, Sraburi, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Nayok, Kanchanaburi, Chachoengsao, and Sra Kaew.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-braces-for-imminent-tropical-storm-beginning-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-22

Weather here in Bangkok has been hot and dry for the last few days, the river is so low during the low tides that I am surprised noone has placed umbrellas and chairs on the beach yet wink.png

It was stiflingly hot yesterday yesterday and Monday in Bangkok, probably the hottest i have ever felt it, but i have vague recollection i think that every year when there is a sudden hot patch.

Cheated death by a few seconds on Jomtien beach road when a tree crashed onto the road behind me- took power lines down- very big explosion as one those transformers went bang.

Didn't look at all bad when I set off!

Was actually quite scary.

Not a single cloud in the sky at 17;30 here in Bangkok. Rather than bracing for storms (which I would welcome) I am bracing for further brown outs due to record electrical consumption that the Thais are unable to deal with.

• Like 1

Cheated death by a few seconds on Jomtien beach road when a tree crashed onto the road behind me- took power lines down- very big explosion as one those transformers went bang.

Glad you were not hurt or killed! Each day is a blessing indeed.

We were hit by two big storms with thunder and lightening here in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The whole city lost electricity at 5pm.....nothing is open, no bards, no Restuarants, no fans, no a/c, and it was a 100 degrees yesterday. And we were just voted No 2 destination in the world last week. Oops!

Nobody knows when we will get power back on.

Glad you were not hurt or killed! Each day is a blessing indeed.

Thanks - it's really quite refreshing to receive a pleasant reply on this wonderful forum.

funny how the Thai meterological department makes no mention of impending tropical storms,

my understanding is a tropical storm relates to a low prssure system, where as the Thai meterogical department is talking about a high pressure system and summer thunderstorms

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php

whistling.gif

Yes, it sounds so confusing the way they report weather. It takes a while to get it. As I understand when they talk about high pressure they mention it over the lower part of China or Northern part of Thailand. This brings easterly moist winds that cause summer thunderstorms (that are violent in caracter) over North East first, then these thunderstorms spread over North, Center and East. If the winds are cool enough, thenthey cause heavy thundertsorms over south or even the formation of tropical cyclons over the Gulf of Thailand.

Not a single cloud in the sky at 17;30 here in Bangkok. Rather than bracing for storms (which I would welcome) I am bracing for further brown outs due to record electrical consumption that the Thais are unable to deal with.

They mentioned rain for Bangkok tomorrow, which is Thursday. That is what I understood from the article.

Nothing yet here in Dusit. Back in Pattaya dark side a few power poles down, looks like the storm passed south so far.

These storms are just isolated cumulonimbus clouds that live no more than 2 hours. It is not a depression or a hurricane that moves from one place to another steadily.