Gained Dual Thai Nationality but am not allowed to use Thai Passport to enter Thailand on borders

I tried this a few years ago (I hold dual German and Filipino citizenship). Travelled to Manila with my German passport and got a 1 year returning-resident visa (so-called "Balikbayan visa" which they issue to foreigners of Filipino descent).

I wanted to stay for a few years without having to renew my visa annually so I tried what you suggested in your first post--- exit with foreign passport and reenter with local ID/passport. This worked nicely but it eventually caught up with me with very stressful consequences. A few years later I needed to fly to Frankfurt and I had a difficult time at Manila airport. First, after seeing the earlier entry/exit stamps on the German passport, I was asked how I entered the Philippines (I needed to show the German passport to clear immigration and to prove I don't need a Schengen visa). I couldn't exit with the Philippines passport as I would have had to show a Schengen visa. So I told the immigration officer I entered with my Philippines passport (at a sea border in the southern Philippines). This only led to a chain of more questions which led to my offloading (denied boarding).

So in an attempt to circumvent the issue, I went to the German embassy and applied for a new passport--- one without previous in/out stamps. More questions from the embassy. How did you enter the Philippines? To apply for renewal of a passport, I had to show that my residence in the Philippines was "legal" or in order.

This led to a lot of running around to get things fixed. I can tell you that it might work--- the reentering part with your Thai ID/passport. But when you exit in the future to fly back to Europe, the inevitable questions will resurface and you will need to justify how you entered and stayed in Thailand on the passport which you will use to fly to Germany. The past will catch up.

PS if you use the automated immigration gates, this might work (for now) but when the time comes that you need to fly back to Germany, I'm not sure what might or could happen. Another thing--- if the name on your Thai ID matches exactly the name on your German passport, letter by letter, the computer might flag you and require "secondary inspection". Even with those automated gates. The gate might not open and officer will have to manually screen you.

Edited by davidron

Not sure how you would be able get back to arrival immigration from the departure side of the airport. Even if you were able to do it and were caught you would be in big trouble.

Book a flight. Exit at swampy. Then change your mind. You will be sent through immigration where you can use the automated gates.

Should work.

If you change your mind or the flight is cancelled they will cancel you departure stamp. They will not stamp you back into the country.

Dear German fellow, dear all,

Simple rule: When you are dual citizen and you are in TH, fly OUT with your 2nd passport. Fly back to TH with your Thai passport.

I've confirmed it with a Visa firm: NO swapping via land crossing. What adventures are you guys up to ^^

The ONLY issue here was he tried to do that via LAND border crossing. It is not allowed. I've checked that and the op also said that. So the most and only hasslefree option

is

Fly out with foreign passport - get back in with Thai passport.

Dear German fellow, dear all,

Simple rule: When you are dual citizen and you are in TH, fly OUT with your 2nd passport. Fly back to TH with your Thai passport.

I've confirmed it with a Visa firm: NO swapping via land crossing. What adventures are you guys up to ^^

The suggestion of trying at a smaller border crossing was because the OP has a fear of flying. As I wrote there have been reports of a Thai being able to do it by talking to the officer prior to doing the crossing.

Not sure about info you got from a visa agent. Most of them only handle doing extensions and would not have a great deal of experience with border crossings.

You are on the right track by going to Thai Immigration and asking them what to do. My dual citizen wife did that 8 years ago. It was suggested by immigration that she go to the Mae Sai border, fill out the form to leave as a Thai citizen using her Thai ID (not passport), leave using foreign passport, and reenter by the form for her Thai ID. She did that and no problems since. Rules might have changed since so be sure to check with immigration before attempting.

So you are a Thai citizen but can not enter Thailand on a Thai passport from a neighboring country ? Are you serious ?

I also have a hard time understanding this. Can Thailand refuse to let a Thai enter Thailand?

A Thai can enter from a neighboring country but not if trying to swap passports in most cases.

Immigration has been known to refuseing entry to a Thai on their Thai passport but it is not legally correct. They would never do a denial of entry stamp. All that has ever been done is verbal denial and forcing people to use their other passport.

So you are a Thai citizen but can not enter Thailand on a Thai passport from a neighboring country ? Are you serious ?

I also have a hard time understanding this. Can Thailand refuse to let a Thai enter Thailand?

Read the OP, they just did.

However I was turned away at the Aranyaprathet crossing because I didn't have an exit stamp (I used my German passport to exit to avoid overstay). They forced me to get a cambodian visa and then re-enter Thailand again with my German passport so I ended up with another 30 days stamp.

The whole thing about NOT being able to do a passport shuffle at a LAND CROSSING regardless of ones nationality or duality thereof, is not something new.

The OP was persisting with investigating all sorts of illegal steps at the airport to avoid flying until pulled up by a Mod.

If the OP does indeed have a legitimate 'fear of flying' then one can only commiserate with being in such an unfortunate position. However, trying to work a flanker due to limited funds or 'difficult' personal circumstances will be viewed equally as illegal.

My son had a similar problem because his new Thai passport was issued whilst he was in Thailand using a UK passport. He tried to do an out/in at Maesai and swap passports but they insisted he re-enter on his UK passport. He took advice and flew to Vietnam for a short holiday leaving on his UK passport and then tried to re-enter at BKK with his Thai passport. He was still refused entry on his Thai passport and forced to use his UK passport again. Their computer system had the 2 passports linked - and their excuse was that they could not allow him to enter as a Thai national because he did not have an exit stamp in his (new) Thai passport. The Thai constitution guarantees the right of entry of any person of Thai nationality into the Kingdom - and he showed the IO a photocopy of the relevant section - but the IO was not interested and still refused. My son had a multiple Non-B visa so no problem to stay in Thailand - but the whole point of course is to get free of the immigration and working restrictions. Having failed twice he was reluctant to try again. Eventually, he was introduced to a "friendly" immigration officer and came to an arrangement. My son took the cheapest possible filght to Kuala Lumpur and when he arrived back at BKK he called the friiendly IO who met him inside the airport and stamped him in using his Thai passport. It is very difficult to understand why they make it so difficult in such cases even though the law "guarantees" the right of entry.

It sounds like this is a scam targeting Thai's assuming it is true. I do not believe everything I read on the internet and find it odd that Thai's would be so hard on Thai's. My son has been able to use whatever passport he wants at whatever time he wanted when flying in or out. There has never been even a hint of an issue. That being said he has not done so recently.

Something strange with this story. Why didn't you use Thai passport when you entered the country originally instead of your German one?

First line of OP.

"I just gained Thai Nationality recently as I am half Thai and German and was hoping to avoid applying for Visas by using my Thai Nationality to enter Thailand via border crossings."

He just got his passport here.

I believe IO normally won't stamp two passports as they can't process two passport in the system. Thailand does not allow dual citizenship after you are 18 years old, but IO aren't strict with it. But if you just got your Thai passport, I'm sure you can tell the Thai IO to stamp both when you exit and tell them that you will be using Thai passport from now on. Your only mistake is didn't leave Thailand using Thai passport. I don't see what your problem is? you are in Thailand aren't you? Just leave with your Thai passport.

I have dual and got my Thai passport when I was 23. I enter Thailand using foreigner passport and left with Thai passport. Never had immigration ask me any question. All of the friends who have dual does it this way too. Immigration at my home country knows I have two passport so when I return they don't check if I have a departure stamp in my non-thai passport.

I have travel all over the world EU, US, Asia and enter with whichever passport I have visa waiver, never had a problem too.

Edited by mike324

I believe IO normally won't stamp two passports as they can't process two passport in the system. Thailand does not allow dual citizenship after you are 18 years old, but IO aren't strict with it. I have dual and got my Thai passport when I was over 18. I enter Thailand using foreigner passport and left with Thai passport. Never had immigration ask me any question. All of the friends who have dual does it this way too. Immigration at my home country knows I have two passport so when I return they don't check if I have a departure stamp in my non-thai passport.

I have travel all over the world EU, US, Asia and enter with whichever passport I have visa waiver, never had a problem too.

Thailand has no law that prohibits dual nationality.

At the age of 20 (age of maturity) a dual national has the choice of keeping both or only one. Before 20 it was the parents choice.

• Like 1

Go to Satun by land, take ferry to Langkawi, exit with German ppt. Malaysia immigration at Langkawi are very friendly and should be glad to stamp your Thai ppt. Note that Malaysia often does not stamp because they rely on their national computer network but just get it and enjoy the place a bit. Catch the ferry back to Satun and get stamped back in on that Thai ppt. Simple and no flying (take express bus down to Satun).

I believe IO normally won't stamp two passports as they can't process two passport in the system. Thailand does not allow dual citizenship after you are 18 years old, but IO aren't strict with it. I have dual and got my Thai passport when I was over 18. I enter Thailand using foreigner passport and left with Thai passport. Never had immigration ask me any question. All of the friends who have dual does it this way too. Immigration at my home country knows I have two passport so when I return they don't check if I have a departure stamp in my non-thai passport.

Thailand has no law that prohibits dual nationality.

At the age of 20 (age of maturity) a dual national has the choice of keeping both or only one. Before 20 it was the parents choice.

Perhaps I misread years ago and never kept up to date. Thanks.

I tried multi quote reply but the system didn't work so here is a general answer:

Thanks again for all the replies. I have a better understanding now of what I will need to do and things I can try.

Yes I have been denied entry even though I have a constitutional right as many have pointed out here, but Immigration seems to play by its own rules.

So what I will do is follows:

1) Get more info from Immigration office (my cousin has some connections there and will try it first)

2) Try a smaller border crossing preferably to Laos (I had good experiences there myself) and ask them to stamp out both passports and then return with my Thai one at another crossing, but this time they don't have any more grounds (previous one was because I didn't have exit stamp) I will stand my ground this time

3) If I can't make it to the border in time I'll get a 1 year visa based on my Thai nationality (my biggest worry was that I wasn't sure if I am allowed to work, but this has been cleared up now in one of the replies)

I have traveled half the globe now without stepping on an airplane (fear of flying) so its rather tragic that my own country forces me to do it in order to enter and remain here.

Again thanks for all your help, info and personal accounts. As its usual in Thailand I will be at the mercy of the officer and will try my best to reason with them and be nice. If not I'll sing the Thai National anthem :)

Did you have a stamped exit from Cambodia?

If not that is why they refused you entrance to Thailand.

When you exit Cambodia , even if on your Thai passport the Cambodians should have stamped your passport with an exit stamp entry showing you properly exited Cambodia.

To enter Thailand and be stamped in to Thailand the Thai border immigration wants to see that Cambodian exit stamp showing that you legally exited Cambodia. which allows them to stamp you into Thailand.

It may seem silly but it is the procedure.

I've done re-entry to Thailand on the Cambodian border with a double entry tourist visa and I know the requirement to have that valid Cambodian exit stamp to get a re-entry stamp to Thailand.

On entries to Thailand at an international airport they do not routinely check for the exit stamp of the country you left.... as many European or U.S. passports do not get an exit stamp from their country when they depart.

That often confuses the immigration officers.

That is why it's always better to use an airport entry if you have valid dual nationality passports, the immigration officer usually has more experience with such things.

From some earlier posts, it appears that the solution for the OP or a dual-national Thai is flipping passports INSIDE the country versus the usual situation when foreigners flip them on an international exit/re-entry via an airport. I don't think the departure Immigration guy can or will stamp both passports but if am not mistaken (from an earlier post #29), he can agree to issue a departure date stamped TM6 card that every Thai requires to hold in their passport while OUTSIDE the country (the same card as foreigners used, just used in reverse). Thus on return, the Thai can proffer the Thai passport with the 'arrival' card in place showing that they had previously exited the country.

How does it work if a Thai renews their Thai passport while overseas? Would the TM6 arrival card be accepted although it has a different passport number referenced on it? Maybe all they need to do is show both passports if indeed they did depart Thailand on the old one.

It seems that the regulations for most countries are based on an assumption that your passport is always issued in your home country. It only becomes an issue with international gypsies who get their passports renewed on the fly overseas and then chose to reside in a third country? Dual nationals just adds a bit more confusion to the mix.

Edited by NanLaew

Once I got 2 valid passports, Danish, got the same problem in and out on the same passport, that is the way, it is in their system.

You can get 2 passport if you visit Israel and other Arab countries. I mixed the passports and returned to get the other one.

Do as Samran advises, he advised me on the exact same issue a few years back.

Basically, at land borders they are not used to dual Thai nationalities so it's better to use an airport. I got asked at the airport why there was no exit stamp in my Thai passport and I just showed them my British passport and they let me in but told me to use the Thai passport for entry and exit to Thailand and the British passport whenever I needed it. Basically, two minute check and that was it.

You can also use the auto gates too but the police at the airport know a lot more than the police at the borders.

Edited by ben2203
  • Like 1

Good luck, alduff!. How's your German, by the way? Your English is excellent!.

Cheers nitpicker. My level of English seems to be the courtesy of being constantly corrected by all the Brits when I was living and studying there. As to my German: "Ich habe kein Problem in Deutsch zu kommunizieren. Englisch, Deutsch oder Thai ist alles Wurst." smile.png

Edited by alduff
  • Like 1

Once I got 2 valid passports, Danish, got the same problem in and out on the same passport, that is the way, it is in their system.

You can get 2 passport if you visit Israel and other Arab countries. I mixed the passports and returned to get the other one.

Damn, I did meet a lot of people who had the same problem when it came to travelling to Israel and then Arab states. I think you can ask the IO in Israel not to stamp your passport though.

Damn, I did meet a lot of people who had the same problem when it came to travelling to Israel and then Arab states. I think you can ask the IO in Israel not to stamp your passport though.

In Israel based on my past experience they don't stamp your passport, instead they give you a little stub for entry and exit, that leaves no proof in your passport and prevents complication with IO at other countries who do not support Israel.

• Like 1

I have traveled half the globe now without stepping on an airplane (fear of flying) so its rather tragic that my own country forces me to do it in order to enter and remain here.

Please do share your stories of traveling half the globe on land / water! Sounds interesting and quite an experience!

Please do share your stories of traveling half the globe on land / water! Sounds interesting and quite an experience!

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links here but I have a blog with lots of photos and stories about it. :) I can PM it to you if you like.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links here but I have a blog with lots of photos and stories about it. smile.png I can PM it to you if you like.

I think links are fine! Thanks!