Yellow book - Hangdong

mja1906

Hi, has anyone here managed to get a yellow book from Hangdong Amphur office? I'd like to know what documents are needed to apply for this book. I know that every Amphur has slightly different requirements, so was wondering if anyone had experience at Hangdong? Thanks,

Not Hang dong but I hope this is some help

For Sansai my wife and I did the following

As my wife and I are both British and "have bought our house" we had to supply the following to the Sansai district office

2 x forms signed by Thai witnesses, one a neighbour and the local PooYaiBan ( a must)

Copies of all the following:-

1. residency letter from immigration

2. copy of passport

3. translation of passport into thai

4. 3 photographs

5. chanote of property including importantly for us lease agreement for land

6. blue book

7. copies of the witness id card

Good luck

Edited by sappersrest

I got my yellow book at HD and surprised how easy it was. Requirements as posted above except no translation required.

If you go into the office, turn left inside main doors, and go along to end of counter they have a printed list of requirements. Might have to ask for it.

Thanks, I actually went to the HD office a few months ago, maybe got unlucky, as was directed to a guy (sitting behind the counter to the left), and he said I need my UK Birth Cert, and asked if the cert. showed my parents full name and birth place? Sounds crazy to me, that they should need that much history/detail. I said my UK Birth cert doesn't show that, so then he started going on about how I needed to declare these details (about my parents) and have this affirmed by the UK consulate. They also wanted my husband to bring the leader of the moobaan to visit the amphur in person.

All the other docs required (as listed above) are pretty easy, it was just this birth cert thing. which is a pain to get, and makes me wonder if I really need this, and if the requirements change based on which officer you see !

PS> I asked the officer that I saw, if there was a printed list of requirements, and he said there was no official printed list! Kaptain Rob, did you get yours a long time ago? i wonder if rules have changed

I had to translate the passport photo page, but was able to give them the info about my parents verbally, but I believe their names had already been translated on the document I got with the chinote. I would be curious to know how much a lawyer would charge you for this. Mine took 14 visits to various entities....and without them sending me to the wrong place, that would have eliminated 3 trips...but still 11.

Thanks, I actually went to the HD office a few months ago, maybe got unlucky, as was directed to a guy (sitting behind the counter to the left), and he said I need my UK Birth Cert, and asked if the cert. showed my parents full name and birth place? Sounds crazy to me, that they should need that much history/detail. I said my UK Birth cert doesn't show that, so then he started going on about how I needed to declare these details (about my parents) and have this affirmed by the UK consulate. They also wanted my husband to bring the leader of the moobaan to visit the amphur in person.

All the other docs required (as listed above) are pretty easy, it was just this birth cert thing. which is a pain to get, and makes me wonder if I really need this, and if the requirements change based on which officer you see !

PS> I asked the officer that I saw, if there was a printed list of requirements, and he said there was no official printed list! Kaptain Rob, did you get yours a long time ago? i wonder if rules have changed

IIRC, my wife filled out details re my parents names but I was not asked for a birth certificate. This was only last year, around June, and having my wife speak nicely may have smoothed the process plus we had the kamnan and a prominent lady friend as witnesses.

There was a printed list which we viewed, even if no copy received,but I seem to remember taking something away which was in Thai and on a small yellow slip.

When dealing with stumbling blocks such as the birth certificate one must ask politely how to get around this as there's always a way... Eg Perhaps with names and relationships written on copy of your passport.

IIRC, my wife filled out details re my parents names but I was not asked for a birth certificate. This was only last year, around June, and having my wife speak nicely may have smoothed the process plus we had the kamnan and a prominent lady friend as witnesses.

There was a printed list which we viewed, even if no copy received,but I seem to remember taking something away which was in Thai and on a small yellow slip.

When dealing with stumbling blocks such as the birth certificate one must ask politely how to get around this as there's always a way... Eg Perhaps with names and relationships written on copy of your passport.

We had a totally different experience at Hang Dong.We were directed, by the girl at the front desk, to speak to the head man ,who sits to the left as mentioned .He totally ignored me and began what

could only be described as an interrogation of my wife eg where did we meet ? how long had we been married ? where did she come from ? where did she work ?etc etc I politely called a stop to this as it

had relation to me getting a yellow book.He referred us back to the counter saying you don't need a yellow book, why do you need one ? I told him the obvious, licence renewal etc etc. We had all the

application forms filled in,passport,residence certificate ,photo, etc were never asked for any birth certificates,but realised we had to return with witnesses.

However the deal breaker came when the girl said, in Thai to my wife, "you have to put some money in an envelope under the application when you return".My wife translated for me and the girl spoke

English. By this stage I was seriously peed off and said to her "we don't do corruption" we know the book costs very little.Her reply was "everyone does it" We walked out never to return.

Now I realise that its quite common practice when selling or buying property to give a small amount to speed the process up ,we did that in Bangkok and at the same office in Hang Dong when we

bought in Hang Dong, well the seller did, but this whole experience was quite unpleasant and nobody else I have spoken to has experienced the same obstruction or a demand for extra payment so

obviously things have changed, this was about 18 mths ago.

We had a totally different experience at Hang Dong.We were directed, by the girl at the front desk, to speak to the head man ,who sits to the left as mentioned .He totally ignored me and began what

could only be described as an interrogation of my wife eg where did we meet ? how long had we been married ? where did she come from ? where did she work ?etc etc I politely called a stop to this as it

had relation to me getting a yellow book.He referred us back to the counter saying you don't need a yellow book, why do you need one ? I told him the obvious, licence renewal etc etc. We had all the

application forms filled in,passport,residence certificate ,photo, etc were never asked for any birth certificates,but realised we had to return with witnesses.

However the deal breaker came when the girl said, in Thai to my wife, "you have to put some money in an envelope under the application when you return".My wife translated for me and the girl spoke

English. By this stage I was seriously peed off and said to her "we don't do corruption" we know the book costs very little.Her reply was "everyone does it" We walked out never to return.

Now I realise that its quite common practice when selling or buying property to give a small amount to speed the process up ,we did that in Bangkok and at the same office in Hang Dong when we

bought in Hang Dong, well the seller did, but this whole experience was quite unpleasant and nobody else I have spoken to has experienced the same obstruction or a demand for extra payment so

I have experienced total obstruction to my getting a yellow book from the Kweng's Office in Nong Hoi (CM). However, I was not asked for a monetary donation. When I suggested to my wife that we offer money for lunch, she said that you don't bribe government officials.

Can someone please explain the advantages of having a yellow book?

I ask because it was just yesterday I was reading online that it really didn't give many advantages also must you have residency to get it?

thanks

When I got my yellow book, my wife asked that I leave them 500 baht, which I gladly did a few months ago. It was done upon completion and without them asking for any money! I also had to pay the Poo Yai (big Papa) aka Headsmen for our village:1000 baht as he had to be present to approve the process?

I have experienced total obstruction to my getting a yellow book from the Kweng's Office in Nong Hoi (CM). However, I was not asked for a monetary donation. When I suggested to my wife that we offer money for lunch, she said that you don't bribe government officials.

Have you told your wife about 500 baht for a residency letter,with no receipt.That at land /house sales its almost 100% that you pay something to fast track the changeover of chanote ?

I have no idea what salary these government officials are on,its not the issue, but with the benefits they get ,retirement etc they are probably doing a lot better than the av Thai.

At the Hang Dong office I expected to get hit up when I put my claim for tax refund in ,paid the late fee 200 baht and got an official receipt that I had been warned of.

When I got my yellow book, my wife asked that I leave them 500 baht, which I gladly did a few months ago. It was done upon completion and without them asking for any money! I also had to pay the Poo Yai (big Papa) aka Headsmen for our village:1000 baht as he had to be present to approve the process?

I have a problem tipping Gov officials, it helps creates an environment that they believe all foreigners are loaded with money so they expect it.They receive a wage to do this task so why should you pay any extra ?

I don't tip my Dr,Dentist or Bank Manger either but I do low paid workers such as our street swepers ,waiting staff,gardeners etc................. but each to his own.

Can someone please explain the advantages of having a yellow book?

I ask because it was just yesterday I was reading online that it really didn't give many advantages also must you have residency to get it?

thanks

Depending on your circumstance ie renting for proof of address for visa extension at immigration, applying for car or motor bike licence.

I don't have one as described before as I refused to pay a bribe and find that my driving licence with address on it is sufficient for most things,even booking in at hotels.Even when applying for a tax card they accepted the licence.I guess someone will come along and add some extra benefits.

Don't believe many foreigners have "residency" if you mean permanent

Yeah, I prefer to go through all the proper hoops, and not participate and encourage the whole corruption thing. Even if it takes more work on my part. Thanks KaptainRob, will try the parents names written on the passport copy. Hope that works, as don't wanna be messing around with affirmations from consulates.

As for advantages of yellow book - is it true that it serves as proof of living here 3yrs consecutively, and this is a pre-requisite for applying for nationality?

I did one in Hang Dong 2 years ago . Not a big issue just a some paper work and two people who work in the government to come as well . The book is not really worth anything although if you have one you can stop getting resident letters when u register a car or get a drivers license . I ended up shelling out about 1500 baht . Was not asked for any money but the two people who came for me I felt was good to pay them .

I had the same experience as @SPARKLES some years ago when Chiang Mai Immigration stopped issuing residency certificates.

My Thai wife is totally intimidated by Thai male officials and was speechless so I interceded and it was not pleasant. The boss man informed me the yellow book was for "dealing

in the buying and selling of automobiles and real estate which I could not do on a retirement visa".......got up turned his back and walked away. The female assistant then

approached us and said I should go to the American Consulate for a residency certificate when needed.

As well in 2006 after 2 years of working to clear the title deed of the home we purchased in BWT, Hang Dong, upon appearing to register the residence in my wife's name I was

informed to place 50,000 Baht in an envelope to expedite the issuance of the chanote (title deed). The alternative was a two year wait. I paid the money and the completed

document appeared thirty minutes later........no further comment needed.

Things have perhaps changed with regard to Hang Dong Amphur office as we experienced no problem with issuance of Chanote, Blue book and subsequent Yellow book. No money changed hands other than statutory fees and when I offered cash in envelope to the Kamnan, it was politely refused.

My wife is always courteous with officials but will not take no for an answer. I am trained to smile, wai, and only speak politely if spoken to. Getting angry with Thai officials only exacerbates matters.

A slight twist to this topic - maybe someone can advise?

As a non-Thai resident I cannot own land, but I own my house in Hang Dong and I have usufruct for life (recorded on the chanote) on land owned by my wife. I hold the blue book - but it has no Thai name in it, as my wife has another house in her name and her name is on the blue book at that address. I have all the documents listed above - but can I apply for a yellow book when the blue book is without any name at all?

Has anyone used a lawyer to apply for a yellow book? I sense the distinct probability of a bureaucratic nightmare.

Edited by dru2

I would say yes. I have a blank blue book, and my name in the yellow for my condo. As far as HD Land Office, I bought (with attorney) in 2006, and sold in 2008 at BWT. Smooth as silk (except for the dog attacks). They wouldn't accept 300K as the "rent" on a 30 year lease, but agreed to 500K.....I wouldn't have given them the money without getting the Chinot, then and there, in a million years. I believe the real estate agent did make a 1000 THB donation for great service, but 50K? No way, Josue! The lawyer(s) were from ICO, and were most professional/helpful. THere was a mortgage on the house, when it was purchased, and there was a new loan on it, when sold. The bankers were there in force, on both occasions, and I can assure you that they don't deal in cloudy titles.

If you want to fight the system of corruption in Thailand then you will end up a frustrated and angry loser. It is very much 'normal behaviour' here and if you choose to live here stress free it doesn't really cost that much for peace of mind and good anger management.

When i applied for my Yellow Book at Hang Dong we had all the relevant papers clipped together with a 500 Baht note on top. My Wife's Sister and Cousin came to witness and it was all done in 20 minutes, no questions asked about Parents, no arrogance, and just smiles all round.

It never ceases to amaze me how 'holier then thou' Farang get all wound up about a bit of 'greasing the cogs', when in their own country's it's going on all around them. The fact that it's not so much 'in your face' as it is here does not mean it's not done on a daily basis.

• 1 month later...

Got a Yellow book from the Hang Dong office - very easy process, with the exception of needing a Thai traslation of my passport's main page- extra day. My Thai wife and I have a home, and should anything happen to her (e.g. severe illness, death) I can get all utilities turned on in my name if need be, helps validate my superficies (my name is on the house chanote as such), and helps at visa extension time. You'll also save 500 baht next trime you have to renew your Thai driver's license.

Small piece of advice, which most of us already know, and is the same for Immigration: Be nice at the Amphoe office; these folks are understaffed and swamped. So if you need to get either irate or indignant, do it on your own time. Pissed off, grumpy farangs don't make life any easier for the rest of us.

A slight twist to this topic - maybe someone can advise?

As a non-Thai resident I cannot own land, but I own my house in Hang Dong and I have usufruct for life (recorded on the chanote) on land owned by my wife. I hold the blue book - but it has no Thai name in it, as my wife has another house in her name and her name is on the blue book at that address. I have all the documents listed above - but can I apply for a yellow book when the blue book is without any name at all?

Has anyone used a lawyer to apply for a yellow book? I sense the distinct probability of a bureaucratic nightmare.

See post post 4,

Absolutely no problem at all, my wife and I are both British, same as you blue book but no names in it.Got yellow book very easily, I did not use a lawyer but did bring a Native Thai speaker with us.

Good luck.