SMS to Australia / Overseas

JT65

Hi All

Ive just moved back to Thailand from Australia where i sold my business.

I need to help the new owners of my old Biz for a while with customers etc.

I find myself needing to sms people back in Oz from Thailand.

I was wondering what the cheapest way to do it was? Using AIS or Skype or is there any other online service available these days.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

JT65

Skype has a built in Instant messaging service. Also, if you both have iPhones or iPad, and internet, you could use iMessage for SMS, or FaceTime for video calls or phone calls. Both free if used via internet rather than cellular.

Edited by phetphet

AS already mentioned, many many Social Media applications are out there that provide FREE messaging if you have a live Internet connection.

But note they mostly only work if the other person is using the same Social Media service application and have a live Internet connection turned on.

Most of these Social Media services [ Facebook Messenger, Google+ (Hangouts), LINE, WhatsApp, etc ] don't connect with each other or the SMS network of Mobile Phone providers.

If you truly need SMS, (if mobile only, no internet), then either keep an AU SIM and let it ROAM (lower cost for them to send, higher cost for you to receive and send), or get a local THAI SIM and an Interntional SMS Promotion (probably a higher cost for them to send international SMS to Thailand, lower cost for you to receive and send International SMS).

AIS / 1-2 CALL

AIS_InterSMS.PNG

If it's just a few people, then tell them to download Google Hangouts as it works well in their Hangouts software and in Web Browsers along side a gmail account.

// EDIT: Also, take a look at this, if you want Social Media messaging access while travelling:

chatsim ...the first SIM in the world that lets you chat free of charge and with no limits with WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Skype, Viber, LINE, Hangouts, iMessage, QQ and all other instant messaging apps anywhere in the world. For a whole year with just €10.

Edited by RichCor

• 11 months later...

Do you want to save on roaming costs while travelling all around the world? Try ChatSim! ChatSim is the first SIM that lets you exchange unlimited instant messages and emoji, in more than 150 countries, using the most popular instant messaging apps, for only 10 euros/year, even without a WiFi connection. ChatSim can connect to the roaming operators, without charging in roaming. It can connect to more than 400 roaming operators. You can use: WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Telegram, BBM, Line, Kik, Hike, Kakao, and QQi. ChatSim also works with 4G technology and has an automatic firewall that is able to block unwanted data traffic up to 90%. If you want to know more about ChatSim Unlimited, visit our website: chatsim.com/en

Skype credits will let you send SMS anywhere, although with recent versions of skype, they appear to come from all sorts of crazy numbers.

It allows you to set your sender info as a phone number, or your skype username, but in reality it could anything - very annoying.

2 services I've used that are decent are

http://www.gofax.com.au

http://www.directsms.com.au/