Defense Minister: Thailand will be able to have yellow card given by EU rescinded

webfact

Defense Minister: Thailand will be able to have yellow card given by EU rescinded

BANGKOK, 23 April 2015 (NNT)- Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has said the yellow card, handed out to Thailand by the European Union (EU) for illegal fishing, will be rescinded in 6 months.

The meeting of related units was convened to discuss how to remove Thailand from the EU's watch list, following the latter's claims that Thailand had been unable to effectively deal with illegal fishing problems within the specified time frame.

Attending the meeting were officials from the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, the Ministry of Labor, the Royal Thai Navy and Police commanders as well as the Department of Fisheries.

According to General Prawit, each agency would try to solve the chronic problems according to their roles and responsibilities. Relevant laws could be amended to make the prevention measures more effective.

A meeting will be held every week to follow up on the progress of each related agency. The Defense Minister said he believed significant progress would be made within 3 months, and that the EU's yellow card should be rescinded in six months.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-23 footer_n.gif

And what about the criminal Navy officers who have been involved in this crime? Soon forgotten in so called Buddhist country.

What crime dear?

We are speaking here about the EU ban on exports due to illegal fishing.

Not about human trafficking.

They are dealing with this as we speak.

They have already rescued about 50 people, out of the thousands on fishing boats out there......................

I do understand, everybody can get mixed up, sometimes........

Edited by Costas2008

So typically Thai - ignore the issue and declare it will take care of itself in six months just cuz they say so.

It's called Hubris

Kind of what they did about the plane problems that is causing them headaches and the schemes that cost billions for this reason and many other things we don't read about where warnings are given and nobody cares to listen because wallets are getting fatter.

And what about the criminal Navy officers who have been involved in this crime? Soon forgotten in so called Buddhist country.

What crime dear?

They have already rescued about 50 people, out of the thousands on fishing boats out there......................

I'm not "mixed up" as you say 'clockman' is. His post was only stating the obvious, which is that the Navy Officers involved in the human trafficing appear to have disappeared from the legal radar. With the illegal fishing we have a situation where the Defence/Navy will be policing themselves yet again. It begs the question as to how many of these illegal fishing activities are allowed to carry on below the radar?

As you say "They are dealing with this as we speak" would you like to bet real money on the EU yellow card being rescinded in 6 months?

• Like 1

We will see if the PM invokes A-44 and just bypasses all of the useless meetings. Reading between the lines of all of the information available is the conclusion that the two problems: Over-fishing and Human trafficking and interrelated and structural to the economics of the industry. To solve them two things have to happen: fishing quotas have to be set and enforced to give some time for the populations to recover; and a living wage has to be paid alongside working conditions that the U.S. and the EU buy off on (remember folks, they are the customers).

So, to get these two things done there are fewer tons of fish taken and costs go up. Therefore prices have to go up (perhaps they could a bit) and profits will take a hit. Anyone willing to take a wager on how much CP will buy into this?

What crime dear?

Costas, it's not unusual for fishermen to pay off navy etc for fishing in prohibited areas or over-fishing certain types of fish. My next door neighbour in Phuket was chief of the marine police and we used to get loads of calls from him telling us he'd just arrested a crew for illegal fishing and had confiscted the catch - did we want aby tuna etc - reality was that it was likely to be the pay-off.

What crime dear?

Yes but Thailand has its own laws too (basically to keep the EU happy) and the navy frequently will stop and search and take some tea money and let the fisherman go. Nothing to dao with trafficking. My neighbour in Phuket was chief of the maring police and we'd frequently get a call in the early hours asking if we wanted tuna etc. They catch somebody fishing in a prohibited place, arrest the crew and confiscate the fish (very likely this was his tea money I know but having known him for 10 years, I doubt it). Great for me but not the fishermen!

What does this have to do with the defense ministry?

We had a coup last May and one of the most powerful generals in Thailand, the Defense Minister, has openly said he expects the government to do what previous governments have not. Now, if you are the Ag minister or any minister, are you going to tell him you can't?

According to General Prawit, each agency would try to solve the chronic problems according to their roles and responsibilities.

So what does the Defence Minister have to do with the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives?

A meeting will be held every week to follow up on the progress of each related agency. The Defense Minister said he believed significant progress would be made within 3 months, and that the EU's yellow card should be rescinded in six months.

And what, if anything, did the EU have to say?

I'm sorry but rhetoric and propaganda isn't going to sway the decision of the EU ... you can also forget the idea of a brown envelope stuffed with cash because some reporter will uncover it and will report it ... yeah those pesky journalists in the west are not subjected threats or article 44.

Nepotism is rife here; they've known about his problem for decades and even turned a blind eye the human atrocities just so they and their elite buddies can get richer. I'm hoping for a complete EU ban. It's time Thailand learned a lesson and one that hits home in the most decisive way.

"So what does the Defence Minister have to do with the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives?"

Remember this is not a real government. It is a Junta-led government. General Prawit Wongsuwan is the Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs, Defence Minister, AND Chairman of the Board of Consultants to the NCPO. General Prayut is the Chief of the NCPO and PM. The PM appointed Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives is a civilian. Likely Prayut and Prawit see the issue of the ban as one of National Security and will not risk the nation's economy to a civilian.

Edited by Srikcir