Poor / No Hygiene Rimping @ Maya

sharktooth

I believe it is fair as the OP was talking about Smoked Salmon and I about 1000+ bht/kg meat, wouldnt complain about hygiene here when paying for a 30 bht meal.

IMO--to be honest, although hygiene standards here in Thailand are not what they are in the West, or in a perfect World anywhere like what they should be--but, having worked, and lived for on and off 20 years in India--I find LOS, during the 15 years that I have been here, almost spotlessly clean in comparison; the Thais, also, do have a basic grasp of what is meant by Hygiene--sadly, the Indians, in general do not. Apart from a couple of minor cases of 'the Runs' or an upset stomach I have been relatively 'Trots-Free' in Thailand--I caught Amoebic Dysentry on 2 occasions and countless cases of days spent as near to a toilet as possible during my time in India; many times train or bus journeys had to re-scheduled due to uncertainty whether my arse was going to explode.

I don't agree that most Thais, or many for that matter, have a basic understanding of food sanitation. But times are changing and perhaps even India has made some improvements in the last 15 yrs since you left as here has undoubtably.

Almost spotless by comparison or not is not what I have experienced here seen thru the eyes of a professional

(pls don't nobody start again about that being licensed and experienced in a field makes no difference or one more knowledgeable).

BTW I got in the mail a flyer that they are opening a new Rimping at HomePro San Sai this Wednesday April 29th

• Like 1

Its so easy to draw conclusions:

for example I have never had food poisoning or anything like it in the 7yr I have been in Thailand.

I eat street food regularly; and cheaper end restaurants; I cook at home in an outside kitchen with moths, flying ants, jingjok poo where you cant see it, I shop at the market, tesco and makro.

I never shop at Rimping; Tops nor do I care to eat at mid to high price range restaurants.

I am a habitual fingernail biter and pretty much hands on diy and gardening.

conclusion: (from the above) I have a pretty good tolerance to bugs OR dont shop or eat at upmarket places!!!!

Yes of course thats a ridiculous conclusion...............................................and so is putting Rimping on the chopping block; completely unfair and unfounded OP

It is fair and apparently founded. Because you practice poor personal hygiene and have built up a tolerance to bacteria, fecal matter, ants, moths, finger nail clippings, etc that's your choice. We don't live by the rules that you have chosen for yourself nor do we want them sprung on us without our knowledge

That is what I referred to in an earlier post. Many of us older people grew up with out all the special attention to hygiene and have developed a resistance to it. The food poisoning rate will not go up for the Thais as they age as they are used to it. But the rate for the younger foreigners will increase as they age.

I shop at Rimping because of their wonderful loyalty card program. Can't wait to reach 10,000 points and get a free blender!

You must plan on living a long life or you're buying for a hotel chain.

• Like 1

I shop at Rimping because of their wonderful loyalty card program. Can't wait to reach 10,000 points and get a free blender!

When the girl asks "you have member?" for ten years or more I've been saying "Mai penrai krap".

What could I have missed?

When the girl asks "you have member?" for ten years or more I've been saying "Mai penrai krap".

What could I have missed?

Ten years of shopping there would have gotten you a bamboo steamer!

for example I have never had food poisoning or anything like it in the 7yr I have been in Thailand.

I eat street food regularly; and cheaper end restaurants; I cook at home in an outside kitchen with moths, flying ants, jingjok poo where you cant see it, I shop at the market, tesco and makro.

I never shop at Rimping; Tops nor do I care to eat at mid to high price range restaurants.

conclusion: (from the above) I have a pretty good tolerance to bugs OR dont shop or eat at upmarket places!!!!

Yes of course thats a ridiculous conclusion...............................................and so is putting Rimping on the chopping block; completely unfair and unfounded OP

I can attest that they DO in fact need to be on the chopping block as i was a CHEF there--years ago

I was the one to launch the now seen prepared foods dept--and yep my items are still there as they promised not to sell..anyway..i personally witnessed unsafe handling--flies(which they gave me a FLY SWATTER) and improper storage(frozen fish on the walk in floors) I also sold food at unsafe temps

and refused to serve seafood until it was fixed--it wasnt..the cooling unit leaked water as well...

LEK is the manager and a nasty man indeed, or can try to go above him and track down Pairoj..one of the bosses...needless to say i quit after 5 months...IMO it was just about $$$ never about safety there...

• Like 2

Unfair and unfounded???? Like... errrrm, standing there and watching them... And errrrrrrrm, informing the community of the matter. Aye pal, keep taking yer meds.
  • Like 1

"I never shop at Rimping; Tops nor do I care to eat at mid to high price range restaurants" If you've never shopped at rim ping how can you possibly defend its hygiene standards. The bar that you set for yourself is much lower than normal people set for themselves as far as basic cleanliness.