Visa exempt

I'm entering Thailand from Malaysia overland on an Australian Passport and want to stay up to 60 days in Thailand.

What procedures to I need to follow to allow this, Thankyou for your help.

It would be best to get a tourist visa while you are in Malaysia. It would give you a 60 entry.

You will only get a 15 day entry at a border crossing. Then you could get a 30 day extension of that entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht. Then you could try to get another 15 day entry by doing a border run.

Thank-you for info.

If I was to fly into Thailand would I need to show exit booking for 30 days or less, or can I book an exit for 60 days or less and get 30 day visa free extension after arrival ?

The airline can ask for a to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. A one way to ticket to a nearby country will be accepted.

To a apply for the 30 day extension at immigration you will not need to show a ticket out of the country.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have now flown into Bangkok a few days ago from Australia and want to get extra 30 day visa exempt. I believe I can go to Thai Consular at Watthana Road, Lak-Si to do this. However some helpful folks advise me that that this is not so easy. They inform me that I will need copies of my passport & 2 photos and a legitimate reason for longer stay and not to make application until my first 30 days exempt is nearly expired. Is this all correct? At what time should I apply for the extra 30 days? Thankyou in advance for help.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at Chaeng Wattana immigration (there are no consular sections in Thailand). Location info here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html If not in Bangkok you can apply at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the application form.

You will need a completed TM7 form with an attached 4cm X 6m photo. No need for 2 photos.

You will need a copy of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

You do not need to prove you have a legitimate reason to apply for thee extension.

You can apply a couple of weeks early for the extension.

Edit: No ticket out is needed.

• 1 month later...

A word of warning: if you decide to get a tourist visa, do not plan on doing it in Kuala Lumpur. They are known to take a sadistic pleasure in finding every excuse they can to make visa applications there difficult. Most convenient will likely be Penang if you are traveling overland.