Landless Thai farmers join protest to demand urgent help from govt

webfact

Landless farmers join protest to demand urgent help from govt
Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation

30258632-01_big.jpg?1429827072944

Sansern accepts petitions but warns the protesters against rallying

BANGKOK: -- HUNDREDS OF people gathered outside Government House yesterday to demand that the government start providing solutions for their problems, most of which are land disputes with local authorities.

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd later accepted petitions from the protesters, led by the People's Movement for a Just Society (PMove), and assured them that their problems would be considered and solved as soon as possible.

"I understand your distress and anxiety, but if you really need help, contact the government directly. Do not gather like this, as the country is now under special circumstances," Sansern said.

Prayong Doklamyai, who represented PMove, announced that most of the people "victimised by government policies" were those facing encroachment allegations even though they had been living in the areas before forest reserves or national parks were marked out. There are some 490 such cases, and those affected by them also showed up at the rally.

Also participating in the rally were people facing land disputes with other agencies, those affected by government projects, sea gypsies fighting for their right to live in marine reserves, stateless people seeking Thai nationality, Karen people fighting to maintain their cultural identity in national parks, and landless farmers.

According to PMove, the group had spoken with the government earlier and measures to tackle immediate problems had been set up in January, but nothing has been done for 90 days now.

So, he said, they had come to collect on the promise and submit three demands: that the government advance titles to solve land problems for more than 400 communities; that it continue the task of establishing a land bank for landless people; and that it get local authorities to comply with regulations to tackle poor people's problems.

Even though the country is currently under Article 44 of the ruling junta's interim constitution and the prohibition on gatherings of more than five persons is still in effect, PMove member Salit Sawalee said they were not afraid of being punished because their rally was not politically motivated. He said they just wanted to show their distress with the government's slowness to solve their problems.

Kanya Pankiti, a representative of the Khao Bantad Land Reform Network, said she and others suffered seriously from the government's forest-reclamation policy. Up to 181 rai (29 hectares) of rubber plantations and houses of 27 families had been destroyed by military officers and forest rangers in accordance with the junta's Order No 64 as their plots were reportedly encroaching on national-park areas, she said.

"We don't have a place to live on or any income, as our rubber plantations were destroyed. We are here to ask for a community land title so we can live on the land that our ancestors found long before national parks were established," Kanya said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Landless-farmers-join-protest-to-demand-urgent-hel-30258632.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-24

Yesterday my missus had to show her ''farm book'' looks like an bank account booklet but had ''gasset'' printed on it along with a photograph, i wonder if this has something to do with this although she owns all of her land, or are they going to pay out for the 2013 harvest at last ?

How many other countries that anyone is aware of give land away for free?

first of all who does this land belong to? who is working this land ? who is profiting from their work ? The people who have been working this land for ages should have the deeds given to them. I believe the Philippines have distributed land to the poor who actually work the land also some countries in Africa have done the same, i think Russia did something along those lines after the collapse of communism

• Like 1

We strongly protest why can't we get a free land so we can, also, sell it, hock it pawn it, or

turn it over to some rich developers as soon as we get it for some paltry sums and

buy a mobile phone and a pick up ?.....

and you would know that how ?? Not everyone would act the same as you

It seems to happen quite often according to the news. Poor people get some land free or cheap, on which they are to farm or run some sort of small business. They instead sell it to someone rich. Eventually it is found out that the rich guy built something illegal on the land that was intended as farm land or similar for the poor, and that was not to be sold or transferred.

Anyway, I have no problem with distributing available farmland to the poor, if they are truly poor, but I do not think they should be given any title deed, as there is a good chance they will simply sell it as described above. Instead let them rent it long term for a small/symbolic amount, and make it clear in the rental agreement, that it cannot be sold, transferred, subleased or similar.

• Like 2

first of all who does this land belong to? who is working this land ? who is profiting from their work ? The people who have been working this land for ages should have the deeds given to them. I believe the Philippines have distributed land to the poor who actually work the land also some countries in Africa have done the same, i think Russia did something along those lines after the collapse of communism

And if I were to find a piece of unused forest land in your country, clear it, plant a crop, it becomes mine?

We strongly protest why can't we get a free land so we can, also, sell it, hock it pawn it, or

turn it over to some rich developers as soon as we get it for some paltry sums and

and you would know that how ?? Not everyone would act the same as you

It seems to happen quite often according to the news. Poor people get some land free or cheap, on which they are to farm or run some sort of small business. They instead sell it to someone rich. Eventually it is found out that the rich guy built something illegal on the land that was intended as farm land or similar for the poor, and that was not to be sold or transferred.

Anyway, I have no problem with distributing available farmland to the poor, if they are truly poor, but I do not think they should be given any title deed, as there is a good chance they will simply sell it as described above. Instead let them rent it long term for a small/symbolic amount, and make it clear in the rental agreement, that it cannot be sold, transferred, subleased or similar.

My wife purchased some farm land. The chanoot states quite plainly that the land can not be sold, rented, traded, etc for a period of 10 years from date of purchase.

I am a castleless castle owner. GIVE ME A CASTLE ! I guess that is the same as a farmer that has no land wanting to be a farmer. But I still dont know how you can be a farmer without land. I would have thought that would be a farm labourer. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Land reform was a significant factor in transforming several regional economies that have outshone Thailand and are now at in a different ballpark to them such as Taiwan and South Korea. Further back it was a central plank in Japans development. China also showed significant improvements in productivity when a sense of ownership was given to individual farmers.

Where do you get that idea from? I thought it was due to a combination of Confucian work ethic, trade liberalisation, education policy, etc. You just have to compare the trajectory of Singapore (where land reform is irrelevant) to that of it's former twin, Malaysia. In some of the countries you mention, land reform may have been a side-effect of other economic reforms, but by I'm not sure it was a driver of their success.

• Like 1

Land reform was a significant factor in transforming several regional economies that have outshone Thailand and are now at in a different ballpark to them such as Taiwan and South Korea. Further back it was a central plank in Japans development. China also showed significant improvements in productivity when a sense of ownership was given to individual farmers.

Where do you get that idea from? I thought it was due to a combination of Confucian work ethic, trade liberalisation, education policy, etc. You just have to compare the trajectory of Singapore (where land reform is irrelevant) to that of it's former twin, Malaysia. In some of the countries you mention, land reform may have been a side-effect of other economic reforms, but by I'm not sure it was a driver of their success.

Joe Studwell's book "How Asia Works" makes a convincing argument that land reform had a big effect in launching Japan, Taiwan, S Korea and, to an extent China onto an accelerated growth path. The significant increases in yield/productivity gave them a strong base to develop their manufacturing and financial system on top of.

Wether similar reforms could benefit Thailand is of course a different question but looking at examples of where it has worked might give some ideas for development here.

With regards to Singapore (or Hong Kong for that matter), I would suggest they are looked at as different cases due to their development as trading ports due to geographical locations which other countries in the region are not as well suited to.

I would strongly recommend the above mentioned book as it does have a few interesting theories that give pause for thought.

• Like 1

Thats nearer the truth,thumbsup.gif

Joe Studwell's book "How Asia Works" makes a convincing argument that land reform had a big effect in launching Japan, Taiwan, S Korea and, to an extent China onto an accelerated growth path. The significant increases in yield/productivity gave them a strong base to develop their manufacturing and financial system on top of.

Wether similar reforms could benefit Thailand is of course a different question but looking at examples of where it has worked might give some ideas for development here.

With regards to Singapore (or Hong Kong for that matter), I would suggest they are looked at as different cases due to their development as trading ports due to geographical locations which other countries in the region are not as well suited to.

I would strongly recommend the above mentioned book as it does have a few interesting theories that give pause for thought.

Thanks - my background is not in economics, but that looks to be an interesting book from what you're saying. I will check it out.